Ad and Pop -up Blocking

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by philip1, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philip1

philip1 Registered Member

Hello, all you fine Wilders, Members and Moderators,
    I hope this first thread finds you well.
    If my location, look and feel are not up to standards, please kick me around until I can get up to speed.
    I also need to admit that I havn't had any formal computor training and I usually am more clueless than not.
    So that being said, Simplicity should be a major consideration, as well as any guidance you would kindly recommend.
    One of my many needs is speed.
    I'm trying not to load my computor with a lot of programs that are going to slow me down or cause more conflicts that I already have.
    Tonight, I would like to consider Ad and Pop-Up Blocking.
    I have three in mind.
    Ad-Shield, Ad-Muncher, Super Ad Blocker.
    AdMuncher and SuperAdBlocker, I think are proxys, not that I know what that means, and therefore use some CPU- maybe as much as three to five percent or more?
    Again, speed of page rendering is important and I see that AdShield is a BHO in IE and works from a down loaded list and has some nice real time on the fly ad to or exclude from features.
    Also, regarding AdShield, whats the difference between their list and the one Eric Howes of IE spyad has specifically for downloading for use with Adshield, not his regular IE spyad for restricted site zone. I'm going to use that also.
    Let me thank you in advance, lest I forget to later.
    kind regards, Phil.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive never tried ad-shield and my experience with admuncher was brief, but i have used super ad blocker for a while and i liked it very much.

it does use a fair amount of ram, but that can be partly attributed to the built-in antispyware.

i almost solely use firefox so ive moved onto adblock plus (with filterset.g) and popup blocker settings.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Phillip1.

Something to also consider would be an alternative browser.
    Opera for example has pop-up blocking bulit in.
    K-Meleon and Firefox also have that.They are all free.
    I have all three installed and there are no conflicts among them or IE6.
    Just something to think about.

4. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

If you are using Opera, you use import the adblock list to the urlfilter.ini.
    You can find the list here: http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/ .

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I think that Opera is really a great browser and one to consider especially with its new block content feature. I've used proxomitron with a modified version of sidikis filter set. I've never had a problem with that. Also, you could always try adding ad hosts to your host file. For that try Hostman.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.