ActiveX--To Be or Not To Be...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Prince_Serendip, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Yes, it's a question. I did some searching on the web and found quite a bit of info on the subject. Someone I know and trust here at home sees ActiveX as a kind of disease. He knows more about computers than I do. A long time ago, in a school not far away, I learned how to write programs using punch cards. Computers and programs have come a long way since then. I found ActiveX on my system so I made a backup and removed it. I'm asking if this is a good practice? Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Prince S,

In essence, I agree; no need for Active-X. Have a look at this (somewhat outdated) link - and please be careful in regard to the links provided within it:

http://www.cigital.com/hostile-applets/

regards,

paul

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Eh? I dunno what I'm talking about, but does Active-X do something bad? From my understanding I have to have it for most of my games... OFP and others need at least 8.0 and I have 8.1...

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Active X itself does nothing bad, you do need it for D3D games among other things, but it is quite powerful, and like an arrogant jedi......

5. zappa

zappa Registered Member

My paranoia level gained back the weight it lost after reading the info at that link.  Since people create these applets to do negative things why can't someone write something that counters the applet in a more permanent method, like killing it ir breaking it?  It's unfortunate to have to turn off something that helps my web browsing.

If someone reached into my pocket to steal I have and would break their finger so why can't one create something to break the applet from loading again so as not to mess up the next PC?  

6. Paul Wilders

zappa,

Compare it with a knife: one can slice bread with it - or one can kill with it. It's not the knife to blame.

Trusted zones in a browser, configuring the browser to pop up to accept or deny such an applet to execute does help.

regards.

paul

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Wanna hear something funny? When I posted in here before, I was thinking of Direct-X   :-D :oops: :rolleyes: :blink:

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Wanna hear something funnier? So was I :)

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ahhh when I feel dumb it's always better to have someone else feeling the same with me!

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

Thanks Paul for the link.  I had been test driving Finjan SurfinGuardPro for a couple of weeks.  The above link helped me to decide that the app was just about useless.  I tried most of the tests and the few that SurfinGuardPro notified me of, it would not kill.  That site opened my eyes to the many flaws with Finjan products.

From recommendation of several forum members, I am trying the new alpha version of RegRun.  So far, I think it is a great product and more than likely will add it to my arsenal.

Regards,
    Kent

11. Paul Wilders

My pleasure, Kent  ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.