ActiveX technology: useful or not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by stefan_waelti, May 22, 2009.

?

Do you use ActiveX while surfing?

1. Yes, it is useful or even necessary for everyday surf

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. I sometime have to use it on specific sites, for instance...

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It happened to be necessary once or twice long ago, it was on...

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I never have to use it or didn't even know it existed

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Hi

Do you have any use of Microsoft's ActiveX technology, or can you surf all the way without ever encountering any site requiring this technology?

Personally, I completely uninstalled it years ago for security reasons, to reduce the surface of attack of the computer at a time when ActiveX was a major vector of intrusions.

Do you think it's now safer than it once was?

What are your experiences with ActiveX? Please feel free to give examples of sites that do require it.

Thanks

2. progress

progress Guest

I never have to use it, it's too dangerous :rolleyes:

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I sometime have to use it on specific sites, for instance... Windows Updates. That's it. Fx anyother time.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Since IE7, yes. MS wanted to provide features in IE6, so IE6 installed activex without asking, but that lead to its popularity known as IE = mallware.
    In IE7 it was fixed, but bad reputation is not so easy to get back and also some people are bothered by asking, you can see it in UAC getting disabled.
    It is a simple security triangle (security - features - easy to use). Activex provides the most effective way of installing features, so it is the most dangerous.

5. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

"Yes, it is useful or even necessary for everyday surf"

Actually, it's not useful.
    I have to use it (forcefully) to do internet banking etc.
    Korea needs a large reform in these things. :oops:

6. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

ActiveX can be your worst enemy!!

I have AC-X pretty much locked tightly :)

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

ActiveX is a bag of CRAP, STUPID, DANGEROUS and plenty of other names i could call it, none good.

stefan_waelti

" completely uninstalled it years ago "

How did you do that ?

I've been running IE6/7/8 over the years with it Completely disabled in Options along with iframes, and Scripting for 99% of the time.

8. ActiveX is brain damaged; it is dangerous, platform-specific, and unnecessary. When it was introduced (1996), it was already obsolete (Java came out in 1995).

I can think of maybe a few excuses to use it; as a substitute for Java in online virus scanners, and... Uh... Yeah, that's kind of it. Microsoft's use of it in Windows Update was ridiculous (and as of Vista they seem to have realized that, unless I'm sorely mistaken). And any use of it for general web content should incur fines.

(And online virus scanners strike me as kind of stupid, when I think about it. They rely on Windows' bad security model, i.e. stuff being able to run as admin from in a browser session... That's dumb, isn't it? I don't know, maybe I'm just tired and not thinking clearly.)

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's only useful in that some websites still use it. The "it's dangerous" argument grew stupid a long time ago. We now patch Flash, our PDF readers, Java, you name it, we patch it. It's code, it's all it is, it can be used for good and bad....and so can everything else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.