Activex removal

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Huwge, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Is there a program or an easu way to remove activex components? I have been browsing the net for photo slideshow software. Most want to install an activex contrl before I can see a demo, but Im loathe to do that, want to keep my PC as clean and clutter free as possible

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Spybot S&D has an ActiveX remover in its tools section. Microsoft AntiSpyware also has an ActiveX blocker in its Advanced Tools section.

In Internet Explorer 6, there is Tools | Manage Addons which allows you to list and remove ActiveXs that are either currently loaded by IE or which have been used by IE in the past and are still installed.

Alternatively, you can delete them manually from \Windows\Downloaded Program Files where you'll find all installed ActiveXs listed.

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Here's how to remove an ActiveX Control:

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options.

Press Settings > View Objects, rightclick the ActiveX object of your choice, and choose 'remove'.

That's it...

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. The simplest seems to be going through XP. Does it remove everything or will I need to use a regcleaner to get rid of any leftovers?

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

First of all (and I forgot to tell you), first check Add/Remove Programs. An ActiveX based application will at times be listed there, so that's the first thing to do.

Removing an ActiveX control the way I said in any case ought to remove the corresponding subkey from the Registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units), but I haven't tested to see whether in fact this will remove everything (but then again, usually neither does Add/Remove Programs...).

If you want to be absolutely certain, use an install monitor (Total Uninstall, etcetera) to take snapshots before and after. It's the only way to ensure nothing gets overlooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.