Active X plus

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

Good. Starting out with the basics, you should learn how to take and save a picture of what you see on your desktop. Download MWSnap (the "Setup" file, not the ZIP) in Blue's link above. Install it and play with it. You will be able to "capture" your entire desktop or just individual windows that pop up. Then you can save them as picture files (jpeg, bmp, gif, etc...). Next, you should practice attaching those pictures to your posts in the Test Forum. After that, the next step will be to get WinZip working for you.

Nick

2. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Ready to trudge into the computers again. I sure would like for one of them to be completely finished. The one with the security problem is the closest. I'll try that one again. If that gets to hard, I'll got to another.

Where should I start? o_O
    MRSCT

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

Let's start by understanding where we are, and then, where we want to get to. In other words, let's break things down into smaller pieces.

If my understanding is correct (reviewing the thread):
    • This PC works fine except for an inability to correctly logon to remote sites that are secure (https)
    • There are no other known problems
    • You've reviewed the Internet Explorer settings posted previously, and everything in those posts matches your current settings
    • You receive a pop up message stating "Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly " when you attempt to logon to a secure site
    • In some circumstances, you are notified that you are "leaving a secure zone, and when you click Ok, the page can not be displayed."
    • Your browser has 128 bit encryption
    You want to be able to log onto sites such as bankone that require
    Now, on this machine, what security type of programs are running? I know you have McAfee on at least some of your PC. Does this have McAfee installed? Is it just the AV component or is it the entire security suite (AV, firewall, etc.)?

Blue

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I have Mcafee virus protection and the antivirus. I have run spybot, adware on it. Not the suite. It also runs very slowly.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  5. BlueZannetti

A few questions:
    • By run slowly, do you mean it's an inherently slow machine or is it responding much slower than it seemed to in the past?
    • The McAfee product on this machine - I'm not sure we got this before - what is the exact name and version number?
    • Is there any firewall running on this machine? The native Windows firewall or any third party firewall (for example, McAfee)?
    • Are Ad-Aware and Spybot run on-demand only? When was the last time definitions were updated?
    • Does the machine come up clean with scans of McAfee, Ad-Aware, and Spybot?
    • Have you been able to download a screen capture utility such as MWSnap? If downloaded, has it been installed?
    Blue

6. BlueZannetti

One other thing, I'd probably try the instructions below since they have a neutral impact if they're not the solution: obtained from MS KB813444.

Select Start>Run. Enter cmd in the "Open" box and press enter. This launches the command line dialog box. Enter the following lines at the command prompt, executing each by pressing Enter after it is entered
    • regsvr32 softpub.dll
    • regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    • regsvr32 initpki.dll
    • regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    • regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    • regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    • regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    • regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    • regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
    These commands re-register some critical files. Also, check the version numbers of the following files:
    • comcat.dll
    • ole32.dll
    The path for both files is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Blue

7. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Just got on. It looks like alot to do. I am trying to see what happen to my Mcafee antivirus. My letter M is lite up but it says that I am not protected.
    I am trying to reinstall it but when it starts to download, all of a sudden the screen scrolls down and the page is gradually fades away. It just disappears for some reason.

MRSCT

8. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

It is a fair amount, just take it in single steps.

Do you know why McAfee says you are not protected? Is it due to out of date signatures or is some component disabled? The behavior you are describing is not normal. Could you give me a better idea of what's happening?

Blue

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Descriptions Hummm......
    I opened the control panel and saw my antispyware for Mcafee but not the antivirus. I right-clicked the M and usually it says enable or disabled. Now it asked if I want to purchase the software. A box popped up quickly and said that another application was running. o_O

I have tried to reinstall it. All started out well. But as I said before, when it was downloading, it didn't finish all the steps, it almost finished the first, maybe 50% complete. I disabled my stoppops. All of a sudden, the screen fades and the desktop is now there. I think the fading is a special effect in one of the computers settings. There is no hint that I had even been working with Mcafee.

Usually when the software is disabled, the M is black and I then have to click the enable one.

Ok, I typed cmd and a black box came up. I started to add the list. The list said that they succeeded. What am I looking for by doing this? o_O I am now going to try the next 2 in windows 32.
    I use Spybot weekly and adaware when I remember it :D They are not atomatic like Mcafee.
    MRSCT

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  10. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

comcat.dll file version 5.0.2600 size 3.50 KB
    ole32. dll file version 5.1.2600.1362 size 1.12 MB
    MRSCT

11. BlueZannetti

Prior to the reinstall, did you uninstall McAfee?

On the cmd box: you're not looking for anything here per se. These steps simply re-register some critical dll's needed for secure browsing. If they were the culprit, you would now be able to log onto, for example, the bankone site. But you won't know that until you have tried a logon. If those steps succeeded, go ahead and see if you can logon to a secure site. I wouldn't use a bank, try some other one that's innocuous.

One the other two steps: occassionally a version mismatch in these two dll's has been implicated in the type of problem you see. Here, you are looking for a verison 4.x vs. 5.x type of mismatch.

OK, the fade in/fade out is simply a desktop display setting, let's ignore it.

Blue

12. BlueZannetti

These are fine as far as the versions are concerned.

Blue

13. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I think I have done everything that was asked, what next? o_O

14. BlueZannetti

Unfortunately, I assume "what next" means that you've tried to login to one of these secure sites and have seen no improvement in things :( Oh well...

That means it is either a configuration issue that is being missed somewhere, a program operating issue (and I have my reservations around McAfee only because I have not used a McAfee product in years and am therefore ill-equipped to provide detailed advice here), or an application corruption that again we're missing.

At times like this it often helps to completely change the direction of attack. Try this, download and install Firefox. Just hit the free download link on that page. Download the setup program and run it. Go with a default install all the way around (say yes/next wherever appropriate). Decline to make Firefox your default browser at this point, if you want go that route later on, you can.

I'm hoping to see potentially a couple of things here. The best scenario is that you install it, use it to navigate to a couple of secure sites, and everything works just fine (i.e. we may be dealing with corruption of IE or some dependent dll). The next level scenario would be, if McAfee or some other application is actively blocking IE at secure sites then a perhaps dialog box relating to internet access will pop up with the appearance of a new application in the mix (afterall, there will be no existing rules for it).

When you first launch Firefox, keep track of the information that appears in any dialog box that pops up.

I'd recommend going in this direction for a while. I use Firefox/Mozilla almost exclusively these days, including for my banking and tax work. If it's unproductive, the uninstall is easy, so whatever is done in these steps is very reversible.

Blue

15. BlueZannetti

Spanner,

As you can see, my progress has been, well, mixed. Too many cooks only are an issue when the directions conflict, and I haven't seen that here, so no worries on my part.

By all means, jump in with both feet! A success with Firefox would also support your thoughts of an Active-X corruption. Given other security and operating issues with IE, I tend to gravitate towards the use of Firefox where possible.

Blue

16. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I did it!
    I did it!

I found in my email from the summer Secure IE. I installed it this summer and my husband said that he didn't know what it was, so he deleted it.
    It is now secure, and the lock comes up at the bottom. Yeah, one computer fixed. :D
    Thanks, Blue, Spanner and nick for your help. :D :D :D
    MRSCT

17. BlueZannetti

Absolutely fantastic!

Now doesn't that feel great! I've done this myself (playing both roles at that!) on occasion.

Now it's time to enjoy the moment MRSCT!

Blue

18. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Congratulations :D. Your persistence made it possible.

Nick

19. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

" Well it's about time ".......the payoff that is! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

See.......tough times don't last, tough people do. ;) :cool:

GF

20. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Oh Spanner, if I only had something in my checking account I'd share. ;)
    I did almost give up, all the information at times was too much to absorb.

I'm going to my Major Problems (is it called a thread) to review some of the other problems with the other computer.
    MRSCT
    P.S I almost forgot to thank GlobalForce

21. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

Just let us know when you're ready to tackle the next one, and we'll see if the same result can be achieved.

Blue

22. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi again MRSCT,

I believe we could detract some screen tool anxiety here by getting you underway.... ;)
    The first item to address is creating a folder named "MWSnap Capture" in "My Pictures".

When you open the program, goto Tools/Settings and set up the "General" tab as shown....

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/6189/mwsnap047200501202247403yi.png

....set the "Snapping" tab as shown....

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/671/mwsnap004200501171407549et.jpg

....for the "Auto-saving" tab set as shown with the exception
    that will follow after this one....
    (please omit my "Auto-add numeric suffix")

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/5315/mwsnap005200501171418061cz.jpg

....clk the "browse" button to the right of "Save to folder" and here you'll be able to
    navigate/select the folder you created in "My Pictures"...."MWSnap Capture"....
    (don't forget to "apply" and "OK" all respective buttons)

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/9216/mwsnap006200501171425211ap.jpg

These tabs.......Fixed sizes, Appearence, and Sounds
    can all take a back seat for the moment. ;)

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5660/capture9272004102948pm11320055.jpg

Either somebody mentioned "play" :D....or my ears are ringing! This is what you want to concern yourself with MRSCT, the type of capture. For now, and until you're proficiency picks up, just omit "Fixed-size rectangle"....you won't need it. The other three will require only a little patience, so please....stick with it and use the "Test Forum" as referenced by Nick S.

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5039/mwsnap009200501171503544pc.jpg

Notice the various key combinations presented....the easiest being "Full desktop"....
    when you combo the keys involved for any given screen you happen to have showing,
    the capture will go directly to the folder you created "MWSnap Capture"....
    this courtesy our configuration setup.

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/6312/mwsnap010200501171602010mo.jpg

Next, and a bit trickier...."Window/menu"
    Choose this option when it's a dialogue box you're after....when you combo the keys,
    you'll notice an "active" dotted box as you navigate with the mouse....
    when you settle on you're target, left clk.... and you got it...."your capture folder!"
    That's where it is....ready for upload. :cool:

http://img131.exs.cx/img131/858/mwsnap012200501171611289ls.jpg

Final (and not as tricky as you think ;) ) scenario...."Any area"....combo the appropriate keys....
    a "crosshair" or "target" will appear, the idea.....position it with only the mouse on one corner
    of an "imaginary box" you're looking to capture, when satisfied....

hold the left mouse button down and drag the "crosshair open".....
    after defining the box, left clk to "snap-it" to you know where...." VIOLA!"

http://img131.exs.cx/img131/4384/mwsnap014200501171612298jq.jpg

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5660/capture9272004102948pm11320055.jpg

Note - when replying to a thread....down below in "Additional Options" you'll find
    "Manage Attachments".....this is what you use to "upload" a picture from you're computer,
    keep in mind there is a 100kb file size limit....should you need assistance resizing a full screen,
    Someone will be minding this thread.

OK MRSCT, I've offered what I hope is practical, usable info. Let's see if you can set the Wheels in Motion. :eek:

EDIT - MRSCT, yes as Spanner has pointed out in the post below.....you can reduce the file size in kb's by bringing
    up the "Settings" dialogue, "Auto-saving" tab and choosing "png" from "Format"....an allowed file type.

Best on you're Quest!
    GF

@ Spanner....Thanks for the additional info buddy, overlooked that 1 toy'in wid it lol ! ;)
    ....only just downloaded, gimme sum time! :-*

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  23. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I need the link to MwSnap. It's not loaded on this computer.
    MRSCT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.