Active X plus

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

When I went onto my other computer it said that there was technical problems. I checked and none of my address bars have the the (S) on http.

I can't log into anything that needs a password. Also, I think it said that there is a problem with Active X o_O

Dell pentium 3, 128MB of RAM, - Service Pack 1 - XP professional - 730MHz -

MRSCT

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey MRSCT,

What is the link to the site that your attempting to reach with HTTPS ?

Also.....what is giving you the indication that ActiveX is not working ?

Are you receiving a pop-up warning similar to....Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page....etc ?

3. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

My son said that the https are security links, so when I put my password and username for online banking, Christmas shopping.

Pop up
    " Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly " :doubt:

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I went through each zone and checked it in the Internet Options.

I get some of the web pages, but they don't have the HTTPS, it prompts me that I am leaving a secure zone, and when I click Ok, the page can not be displayed. The security alert is coming up and then does not display. I like that I can view some of the web pages, but don't want to work on one without security.

I'm getting: " Your current security setting prohibits running Active X control on this page."

I feel that I am half way there. There is a querk in the settings somewhere. Can anyone help a novice? :'(
    MRSCT

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  5. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I was trying to get in bankone.com. I typed the address in and it said I was going into a secure sight. Click yes and the technical difficulties came up.

I checked each one off as I changed it. I'll try again. o_O

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

Make sure that SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are checked (Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>page to the bottom, you'll see the two options to Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0).

Also, looking at the BankOne site, they require "... the use of a 128-bit secure, JavaScript enabled browser to login to your account and perform transactions". Verify you're OK with these constraints.

Blue

7. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Hi Blue :D

I'm so glad that you chimmed in. I went to another computer. I was getting confused on the one we were working on earlier.

I'm not sure about if JavaScript is enabled (how will I know?) and it has 128- bit security.
    The only thing wrong with this one is that I can't get the https to work right.

MRSCT

8. BlueZannetti

Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level. Go to the section on Scripting. Set Active Scripting to Enable to enable javascript. If you have it set to Prompt, that should work fine also, but there will a number of additional confirmation dialog boxes encountered along the way. The screen shots are as Spanner mentioned in Posts 14, 15, and 16 of this thread. Post #16 is the key one.

Blue

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Happy New Year Blue, Spanner and nick ;)

Spanner, I just went through each one of the internet options. :'(

It still didn't work

I'll go through the microsoft information tomorrow. ;)
    Thanks for helping me!
    MRSCT

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Happy New Year to you too MRSCT :). I use Bank One too. I'll check my settings and see what I can find out.

Nick

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  11. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Well, it doesn't seem like I am getting anywhere. I need a crash course on computers.

OK, first, how do you clear the brower cache? I know how to delete the temp and the history files. I asked my husband, he didn't know. Next, I don't know what first and third party, or session cookies are o_O Third, what do I google search o_O

I tried to get into my online credit union account. It won't let me in past the homepage. I still have my counter with the paging file error I can get into. That's my 2 year old computer. The other 2 older ones, one has a security problem and the other will crash right in the middle of your work. :'( They are making the paging file problem look good. :)

I made a list and I'm checking it twice, but I can't find out which is naughty or nice.

MRSCT

12. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

I was able to login to Bank One after resetting IE back to all its default settings. I would try that and see if works. On the Security tab, click Internet, click Default Level (should be medium). Do the same for Trusted Sites. On the Privacy tab, click Default. On the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults. Delete files and cookies from the General tab (clicking Delete Files clears your cache). Restart IE and try to login.

Nick

13. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Nick,

Tried it, it's still the same. There is some kind of querk happening.

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

What happens when you run this test: Ensure Your Browser Is Secure?

Nick

15. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I guess it came out OK. It says that the main areas are secure.

16. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Mine now matches yours! What next?

Spanner thanks for the information in #12, but I don't understand any of it o_O

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  17. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

4 days have past, no new answers :(

18. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

If you are sure all your settings are correct, download IEFix v1.4 (Internet Explorer Fix - General purpose fix for Internet Explorer [Win 98/ME/2000/XP]) and try repairing Internet Explorer. If the repair does not work, IEFix also allows you to enable reinstalling IE.

This troubleshooting article is also worth reading: How to troubleshoot situations where you cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in Windows XP.

Nick

19. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Thanks you guys,
    I'll get on it this weekend and let you know how things are going, I too have had lots of work this week.
    MRSCT

20. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I went to the link and downloaded it, then winzip came up, then there is a screen with nothing in the body and it has a wizard, favorites,new, open etc.
    I don't understand what to do with the link in the last post. HELP :'(

21. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

You really need to get ahold of a program that will allow you to post screenshots. Download MWSnap or any other similar utility, it will really help us understand what you are seeing.

When I doubleclick on the iefix.zip file (the one I assume you are talking about), I see what is shown below. Is this what you are seeing? If not, what is different? I'm using WinZip version 9.0 currently.

Blue

Added - I took a quick peek at my copy of WinZip - you can get what looks to be a completely blank screen under some circumstances in the Wizard mode. Go to the classical WinZip configuration - get there by selecting Options>Configuration>Miscellaneous and see if "Start next time with the Wizard Interface" is checked. If so, uncheck it. Press OK. Exit program.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  22. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I give up. I just don't understand the jargon in the last posts on how to fix my computers, I guess I will have to send them to the computer store and get them fixed. Thanks for all your help. I just can't get things broken down simple enough to understand what is being asked of me. Thanks for trying :'(

Thanks again,
    MRSCT

23. BlueZannetti

If you're sure that's the best way to go, best of luck. Don't hesitate to take a stab at it again here if you think it will help.

The one thing a store can do is pull you hard drive, load it into another machine, and do a far amount of diagnostic testing with a clean slate. The downside is the cost sometimes - get a sense of the potential cost before committing to a fix - but time is money also. While the machine is in a shop and open, think about potential upgrades - disks are relatively cheap, RAM can be, both can make a load of difference if you're strapped for space on either.

Once again, best of luck,

Blue

24. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi MRSCT,

Between work and having the neccessary patience to deal with the difficulties you describe, it's not always easy grasping
    the big picture. Many of us lack the technical know-how provided here by some of the more experienced members....and yes, it get's frustrating.

Really, if you have a change of heart and decide to take BlueZannetti up on his offer....go grab that screentool and put your game face on. Though challenging, the confidence you'd gain from resolving this on your own would be astounding. But if it's not in the cards and you wind up at the shop, I know you'll consider Blue's fine suggestions....and sincere sentiment.

All the best to you,

GF

25. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

The posts of help gives me more confidence. I do have confidence in this forum, that is why I have stayed with it so long. I just don't understand some of the instruments that the members want me to use. It may seem simple when they are posted, but without directions(sometime extensive :doubt: ) I don't know how members patience is with me.

I enjoy this forum. Thanks to nick s and Blue, I've stayed this long. If I can get things broken down a little bit more, I'll try again.
    Thanks GF and Blue for caring :D
    MRSCT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.