Active Virus Shield no longer scanning e-mail

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

Active Virus Shield no longer scanning e-mail (Stunnel Help Please)

I just noticed today after AVS updated that it is no longer scanning e-mail. No settings have been changed within the e-mail software and no settings changed in AVS. It still shows that the mail scanner is running and still has the option selected to scan incoming and outgoing mail.

I have restarted the computer and that makes no difference. I also tried sending the EICAR test file and it sent without any alerts.

Is this happening with any other AVS user?
    Has this happened before with any Kaspersky users?

EDIT: I just did a clean install by removing AVS and using the KAV removal tool which gets rid of the extra leftover junk. Then I reinstalled AVS and e-mail scanning is still not working. Something is seriously wrong here.

Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

What email client?

3. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Virus detection is working for me on Thunderbird, both incoming and outgoing.
    The attachment filters (delete or rename selected extensions) is working for Incoming but not for Outgoing. o_O

4. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

Thunderbird 1.5.0.9

Same email client, same settings, same everything. Nothing has changed, yet it doesn't scan any email at all now. Even after reinstalling AVS. I use the default email ports with no SSL that would interfere.

5. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

Alright, I have since completely uninstalled AVS again and used the KAV removal tool again to clean leftover stuff. Reinstalled AVS and still no email scanning.

I guess the conclusion is that AVS (or KAV) no longer works with Stunnel for email scanning.

Are there any Kaspersky users that make use of Stunnel that can confirm this?

- Same version of Stunnel (4.20) with no changes made.
    - Same version of Thunderbird (1.5.0.9) with no changes made.
    - No changes made with AVS settings.
    - Current AVS settings still intact and correct.

As I have said, no changes have been made with Stunnel settings or version. It had been working for several weeks, incoming and outgoing email scanning. All of the sudden AVS decided to stop scanning email at some point, despite the fact that there were no changes made. That fact that this used to work using the exact same settings and programs is driving me crazy at the moment.

Can any Kaspersky or Stunnel users help shed some light on this?

Thanks,
    Dave

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it never has worked with http://www.stunnel.org/..........try to uninstall and it will probably work right away.

7. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

Hi Don,

Thank you for your response. Actually, it does work perfectly well with Stunnel. I was using it for several months and it was scanning incoming and outgoing successfully without any problems. At least it was working until yesterday.

The only problem is that my ISP uses SSL (port 995) for incoming and TLS (port 25) for outgoing and would not scan at all without the help of Stunnel. So if I remove it I wont have any e-mail scanning at all. And I do understand that it really isn't that important to have, but if I am using a program that has that ability then I would prefer to make use of it.

Cheers,
    Dave

8. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

Alright, I removed AVS again and reinstalled AVS but prevented it from updating to see if it worked before updates. AVS successfully scanned 2 outgoing emails and 3 incoming emails. Then, I allowed AVS to update which required a reboot as usual for the first set of updates. After restarting the computer AVS would no long scan emails.

After:

http://img126.imagevenue.com/loc92/th_74741_AVS_Before_122_92lo.jpg

Before:
    http://img158.imagevenue.com/loc210/th_74736_AVS_After_122_210lo.jpg

This proves that there IS a bug in AVS within an update that came out sometime within the last week. It was working properly for months, but a recent update created a bug in the mail scanning.

I wonder, though, if this is just a bug affecting AVS or if it would also affect KAV...

9. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I wonder if this could explain it?

AOL AVS help file

It should be noted that e-mail messages transmitted on SSL protocol are not scanned by E-mail Anti-Virus.

10. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

That is correct and true by nature of SSL protocol and mail scanners. However, Stunnel works as a local proxy of accepting the SSL connection and sending it to the e-mail program in a non-encrypted format. When using Stunnel with the standard email ports 110/25 any antivirus mail scanner should intercept and scan this just the same.

AVS did successfully work this way. Unfortunately, though, something has changed in the antivirus engine over the last few days and this no longer works now.

I don't know if I am to blame AOL or Kaspersky... either way I am not pleased because this, in theory, should work without any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.