active mode and pdf viewing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by papa33600, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papa33600

papa33600 Registered Member

Hello,

I noticed that when I set my browser to active mode (firefox or ie) I can't view pdf files properly. It starts to download the file then hangs and finally stops.
    Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    papa33600

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure what best to refer to it as but We did have a recent discussion concerning this matter.

Discussed here---> 3.0.621 and PDF's

3. papa33600

papa33600 Registered Member

changed my default pdf viewer to PDF-XChange Viewer. Everything running fine now.

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Forgot and Reply'd to this in the older Post that Bubba referenced:

I had failed to download Samsung 32 MB TV Manual (PDF) UNTIL I changed Firefox to Passive; IE7, too, had locked up at approx the same 1.5-2 MB into Dnload. Passive was the key with Browsers in my up-to-date ESS.

Marcos (your request): Here's the page to choose the Manual's Download (I used Eng-Spanish PDF manual Link: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=LN-T4061F FYI

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We've found out it's actually a problem of Adobe Reader itself, it doesn't like if the data is not fed continually.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Adobe's more recent versions of Acrobat Reader are getting increasingly bloated...and are glacially slow if viewing from within your browser.

I highly recommend uninstalling Adobes Reader...and giving Foxit PDF Reader a try. Enjoy lightening quick opening of PDF files, including from within your browser, and no more annoying nagging updater alerts/downloads.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

7. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

If you are using Firefox then you have to change a setting under Tools|Options and go to the Content tab. Next to File Types, click on the Manage button. In the list, click on PDF and then click on Change Action. Select to "Open with the Default Application" which should show your version of Adobe Reader in the window. You probably have the selection to use the Adobe plugin and this does not work. When you now vo to view a pdf with Firefox it will download then open the pdf in a new window.
    The problem does not have anything to do with active mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.