Activating WinXPproSP2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After installing WinXPproSP2 I have 30 days to activate WinXPproSP2.
    The only cheap way for me is to do this is via internet.
    So I need to be connected to the internet and I really HATE this, even when the connection period is very short.

My reasoning is that this activation thing has to be stored somewhere on my harddisk in a certain object, which object I don't know (registry, file, ...).

Can I copy this object to a diskette or CD and copy/paste it later on an off-line installed WinXPproSP2, which would result in an activated winXPproSP2 ?

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

ErikAlbert,

Aren't you connected to internet to read/post these threads? Not sure I understand the delima(sp?)

...screamer

3. ErikAlbert

That doesn't answer my original question. :)

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I think you would get the same message; activate within 30 days or......
    It's looking at your hardware-configuration and that info is send to microsoft when you activate the install, at least that's what remember of it.

6. ErikAlbert

7. crofttk

It's a record of an earlier activation. As long as you haven't made too many hardware changes, you'll be good to go.

8. ErikAlbert

It's a new computer, I only added a new printer and a new external harddisk. That's all.
    But even those changes won't be a problem. I know what to do to make it right.

9. Lamehand

Erik, i thought you meant an install on an other computer because that's different of course.
    My mistake.

Lamehand
    (banging head against wall)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  10. ErikAlbert

Well it's worth to try anyway. I like to get rid of this stupid idea of M$.
    Paying for winXPproSP2 and having a long serial number, isn't that enough to use winXPproSP2. I didn't have that problem with win2000pro.

11. crofttk

:eek: Hehe, ErikAlbert, from what I can tell from his posts here, is absolutely the last person I would expect to do something as unethical, and probably illegal, as that.

12. ErikAlbert

No problem. This off-line activation is just a small detail in a larger plan. LOL

13. crofttk

Warning, OT:

BTW, both you, ErikAlbert and Lamehand, are fortunate enough to be closer to my family than I am right now. My wife and my 4 sons just left Torhout and then Snellegem, West-Vlaanderen, about 3 or 4 hours ago, for Normandy. They'll be back in a few days and spend until mid-August around Brugge, Brussel, and Ghent so my sons can get to know the other half of their family there. Meantime, I am stuck in Texas and only get to spend the 2nd week of August there with them. You guys are lucky.:'(

14. Lamehand

There are so many rules and regulations in windows these days, that it's very easy to break some rule without even knowing it. :D

15. ErikAlbert

You got that right. I even wished, I wouldn't have to do this, because it complicates the installation of winXPproSP2. M$ forces me to do this.
    I'm only going to use this at home on one computer.

16. Lamehand

OT again; crofttk, they have nice weather with it, it's about 30 degrees celsius around here, at least where i am.

ErikAlbert, this jumping through hoops to use your legit copy will only get worse, this WGA thing won't go away.

Lamehand

17. ErikAlbert

OT again; crofftk, I have about the same temperature (32.7 Celsius), because The Netherlands is a neighbour country of Belgium :D :D :D

Lamehand, I hate that WGA-thingy too. Verdomme toch. Hebben ze bij M$ niks beters te doen, dan hun betalende klanten te pesten.

18. controler

controler Guest

Why not install Vista on a spare HD like I did to test untill June 2007?

If you have the time you can download or order the DVD for like 10 bucks as I did. The pack come with a 32 bit DVD and a 64 but DVD. During my alcohol induced memory lose moment, I was trying to install it off my CD-ROM like I had every other windows OS, then something hit me in the head. It was a little gates figure on my sholder saying IT IS A DVD DUMMY!!!!!!!!!
    So I had to hook up my nefews internal DVD player to install it, since it won't install off my external USB DVD writer.
    I don't see what all the grip is about with Vista. It is fast and colorful on my old PIII 850 with almost 1 gig ram. I am also running Office Pro 2007 Beta which I like alot.
    Still never got an answer one way or the other as to if MS Shared Computer Toolkit will work with Vista or not. Appears they give you a whole 14 days to activate Vista.

controler

19. crofttk

Yeah, I've heard how much you guys "like" having your weather in the 30's (C).;) Mijn vrouw lachte over mijn zusters luide klachten. In Pennsylvania, in de V.S., zijn 35°C normaal in Juli. In Houston, waar ik ben, 's morgens kan het 30-35°C zijn. (Droevig als mijn Nederlands niet zo goed is)

20. ErikAlbert

Zo slecht is je Nederlands nog niet, maar hier en daar merk je toch Engelsachtig Nederlands. :D Dat is normaal hé.
    Mijn zuster in Australië kan geen Nederlands meer schrijven en schrijft al haar emails in het Engels.

21. crofttk

Inderdaad, zo dacht ik.:doubt: Dank u. Oh well, I hope to get better some day.

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Can we get back to English messages please? o_O

Here in Bombay, we get a maximum of 37 degrees celsius in the summer. Usually in summer it is around 35 degrees, other seasons its usually 27-30 degrees. But we have lot of humidity (usually around 70-90%) ;)

Never think badly of yourself. I'm pretty sure your Dutch will grow better in time. :)

Anyway, getting back to the original issue, the link provided by crofttk is the correct method. ErikAlbert is very lucky because the only cheap way for me is to call Microsoft, the online activation never works for me, saying that the maximum number of activations has been exceeded. :(

Windows also asks me to reactivate if I uninstall all my drivers and reinstall them, since it thinks the hardware has changed because there are no drivers. WGA is a royal pain; I've had to call MS countless times, and if there was no one to pick up the phone, the call was automatically transferred to a foreign call center. Imagine the phone charges! :mad:

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That would be most appreciative....Thanks :thumb:

24. ErikAlbert

MSAS had the same illness. I couldn't install MSAS without internet connection. I wouldn't be surprised that MS Defender has the same illness.
    A2-scanner has the same illness.
    I don't like softwares that need an internet connection during the installation and I never expected that an operating system would need an internet connection.
    Don't these software companies know that internet isn't safe anymore o_O

25. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I too am becoming increasingly surprised\angered :eek: :mad: by the applications that ask for [MOVE]server permissions[/MOVE] when just updating. Just had A-2, as well as others, do it to me for the first time that I remember. Luckily, blocking it dose not seem to effect functionality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.