Activating Startup Recovery Manager Caused Big Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMat, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMat

DMat Registered Member

I installed Workstation 9.1, build 3633, on an XP Pro system. I then activated the Secure Zone and performed a backup to the new SZ. I then activated the SRM. Upon reboot, I only saw a blank screen after the bios. The system would also not boot from CD now.

I did an fdisk /mbr and the system would then boot into the OS, but still not boot from CD. Unfortunately, I did not see a way to de-activate the SRM and I ended up deleting the SZ using partition magic. Once I deleted the SZ partition and uninstalled the Acronis software, the system then began to boot normally, OS or CD.

I believe my whole problem started when I used the "Activate Acronis Startup Rovery Manager". This will end up being a remote system and I will not even be able to leave a recovery disk in the CD because the timeout to windows feature was removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“I did not see a way to de-activate the SRM”
    You do this by removing the Acronis Secure Zone.

“I ended up deleting the SZ using partition magic”
    This really should only be done through TI’s “Manage Acronis Secure Zone” wizard.

Where was the ASZ you created located?

3. DMat

DMat Registered Member

Update:
    I reinstalled the Acronis Workstation software and I activated Acronis Secure Zone without Startup Recovery Manager. When I reboot, I experience the same problem as before. The system will now not boot properly from CD. I placed the rescue media in the drive and it gets as far as "Starting Acronis Loader....."

Only this time I did not have to fdisk /mbr. When I removed the CD, it booted the OS just fine.

4. DMat

DMat Registered Member

On the same physical drive.

5. DMat

DMat Registered Member

Also, when I removed the Secure Zone through the Acronis software properly, it did again boot from CD.

Acronis #606502

How long does it normally take to process a support request?

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

All I can add is that activating the SRM alters the MBR. Using the TI interface to remove the ASZ (and thus, the SRM) sets things back. Removing the ASZ by any other means could lead to trouble.
    Good Luck.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DMat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As far as I can see, our support engineer Denis Kurochkin is already working on your issue. Please provide us with the information Denis has requested and we will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.