Action Center flashes warning message in taskbar every 5 seconds.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wibble, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wibble

Wibble Registered Member

This began yesterday afternoon. The message lasts a blink of an eye so I had to capture the event with my digital camera's movie function and locate the frame in MS Movie Maker to see what it read.

The message reads: "Check virus protection. Windows Defender and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.2 are both turned off. Tap or click to see installed antivirus applications."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/anthon11/2012-12-16_085408.jpg

I went to the Action Center. During a gnat's fart the Action Center shows my system to have no anti-virus protection, or at least that's how the OS sees it. I have no idea what is causing this problem. Enabling windows Defender will stop the blips, but then the action center also warns that having both windows Defender and NOD32 antivirus enabled will slow down the PC.

How do I fix this?

2. polygraphmark

polygraphmark Registered Member

Thanks for posting this. I had the same problem and spent THREE HOURS on the phone with HP Customer Support. They had me uninstall the HP Support Assistant and the flash went away and then came back. I sent a message to ESET Customer Support. I have Windows 8 (64) with Windows Defender and NOD32.

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

4. Wibble

Wibble Registered Member

So I uninstalled the last four windows updates. No change. I removed ESET Antivirus 5.2.15.0, reinstalled it. No change. I did a repair install of 5.2. No change. I removed 5.2 again and installed the 6.0.115 release candidate. No. Bloody. Change.

I've now disabled the antivirus and spyware notifications in the Action Center to shut it up.

The cause is probably an OS bug rather than an ESET bug. Too hard to tell. It happened out of the blue.

Janus: I didn't manage to glean anything useful from that thread. :(

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello

The reference to the thread, was more meant as a pointer towards, as you also writes , that it seems more likely that it is a bug in windows 8, than it is related to Eset. I would truly love to shake a solution out of my sleeve, but that I can't.

Regards, Janus :)

6. TimANC

TimANC Registered Member

Happening on my new think pad win8 pro 64. Got a screen shot of the blinking message attached. Windows Defender claims it is not on. Will write ESET and link this forum thread.

Attached Files:

7. AXZ

AXZ Registered Member

I had the same problem (I use Eset5 and Windows:cool:.
    I installed Eset 6 and it didn't help.
    You should try desabling all messages that are associated to anti-virus or firewalls from the Action Center.
    It seems to be working for me.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. manak

manak Registered Member

1. Log in to Windows as an Administrator

2. winmgmt /verifyrepository into the Command Prompt. You should get either WMI repository is consistent or WMI repository is inconsistent message.

3. winmgmt /salvagerepository into the Command Prompt

4. You will get the message WMI repository is consistent then restart Windows.

Just my 2cents.

9. bravo12

bravo12 Registered Member

Thank you very much! I read your post, as I had the same problem with Nod 32 . Sorted now. Everything is OK.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We've probably figured out the reason for the flashing notifications. Altough we correctly register to WSC, the function returns undocumented return codes. We've reproduced the problem with Windows Defender as well which indicates rather a Windows issue than ESET-related. A workaround for this unexpected Windows behavior will be included in future builds.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Throughout this entire forum i read about software compatibilities and it seems windows 8 is the common denominator.I dont know myself how vigorously these products are tested but windows 8 does seem to be a common problem.
    Another good reason why i will stick with windows 7 for the forseeable future.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Great they figured it out. I assume that "future builds" does not include the next one?

13. Marcos

Unfortunately not as it would delay the release by at least 2-3 months.

14. xxJackxx

Not a big deal, just wanted to verify.

15. Dizzee

Dizzee Registered Member

So.. in the mean time? what do we do?

I keep having to deactivate action centre notifications [action centre>change action centre settings> security messages -> (uncheck whatever is flashing)] but the flashing notification seems to jump to something else... I just had to remove firewall notification which I find worrying!
    (I have this issue on every windows 8 computer I have (3 of them)).

16. er34

er34 Guest

You should choose the vendor - you can choose between
    ESET (which is small player and causes problems on your machine and never-ending releases of bugs) and
    Microsoft (which is big and reliable vendor that provided to you high quality antimalware product for free on your OS).

It is more than obvious that ESET company is not yet ready to support Windows 8 and Office 2013 - numerous problems have been reported here in the past months (despite the official support of v6) and are still being reported.

Choose the right vendor and forget about problems :thumb:

Small vendors are killing themselves on their own.

17. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I have rarely seen such drivel - the number of times I have cleared up machines that were "protected" by Windows *Defender* and even Symantec massive - that you put such faith in M$ when they are the actual *cause* of the problems in many case (along with Adobe and Oracle/Java) ... put all the faith you want in Microsoft but don't expect anyone else to believe your rubbish.

18. xxJackxx

Small vendors o_O I realize this is from last year, but:
    http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/295218-opswat-reports-on-antivirus-market-share

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

While I understand your frustration with the Windows Security Center popping up, please keep in mind that this is a cosmetic issue, and in no way effects the efficacy or reliability of the software.

As my colleague Marcos explained, sometimes anti-malware vendors do not receive the complete and final documentation for the operating systems or servers which they are developing software. Sometimes that information is not available until after the operating system or server software has shipped.

This issue will be addressed, however, because of where it occurs and the underlying nature of the code, a fix is not immediately forthcoming. It is going to take a little time to code the fix, verify the fix by testing the code, build a new release, run that through testing, et cetera. Some of that work may have to be done in conjunction with Microsoft—I am unsure of that, but that is sometimes the case.

I am sure the last thing any of you would want is for ESET to release a new version with an untested fix, only to find out that the problem still occurred.

ESET has always been committed to providing you with the highest levels of protection and stability, and this problem, which manifests as a cosmetic issue, will be addressed. However, the underlying reason for the issue is not in the UI code, but how security software interacts with the Action Center, and fixes and validation for those types of issues take a little longer.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. Marcos

Just to put it right, it won't be a fix of a bug but rather a workaround for a Windows issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.