AcronisTrueImage and RestoreIT

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by 52532342, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 52532342

52532342 Guest

Can anybody explane me advantages of Acronix True Image 9 over RestoreIT 7 recovery software?

Im sorry if this is not right place for such post but moderator can move it..

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 52532342,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Here are some advantages of Acronis True Image 9.0 over Far Stone RestoreIT 6.6 backup software:

- Acronis True Image 9.0 uses a solid solution based on its own snapshot technology;

- Acronis True Image 9.0 supports a wider range of backup locations and file systems;

- Acronis True Image 9.0 provides several backup compression levels, while RestoreIT offers only one.

- Acronis True Image 9.0 offers features for fast and reliable bare-metal restore and for restoring separate files;

- Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to verify the image integrity by means of the embedded Check Image tool;

- Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to create completely new partition layout utilizing the embedded Add New Disk wizard;

- Far Stone RestoreIT 6.6 does not support image creation from the Windows environment;

- As for the Linux environment, Acronis performs image creation operations about 2 times faster!

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Geto

Geto Registered Member

Those are completely from different purview products and even you cant compare them. TI is for incremental sector-based imaging, but RestoreIT
    (also Symantec GoBack) are from continuous data protection purview.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually, while I do agree that TI and RestoreIt cannot be compared since TI is a true mirror imaging system and RestoreIT is not, I do not think that RestoreIt continually keeps track of your sector changes; it needs to be updated whenever you feel like it. In that respect RestoreIt is more like FirstDefense and less like GoBack; GoBack truly does continually monitor your system, which some folks do not like because of the system drag that it can produce. The programs like RestoreIt and FirstDefense produce no system drag at all.

I believe that this is the way it is from reading the RestoreIt manual. I have used GoBack and FD extensively, but have never actually used RestoreIt.

Acadia

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I have used RestoreIt 6.5 and Acronis True Image 8.

-It is simple to make a bootable backup with RestoreIt, not so easy with TI
    -TI complete backup is faster for me (about 2x faster)
    -RestoreIt incremental backup is faster (just seconds)
    -TI offers more options
    -RestoreIt is simpler
    -RestoreIt and TI can schedule backups
    -RestoreIt does not monitor conitinuously like GoBack
    -TI allows you to resize secure zone partition
    -RestoreIt allows you to delete backups

If I can think of any other comparions, I'll add them.
    I like both programs.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Have you tried v7, and if so, what are your comments on that?

7. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Nope, not tried 7 yet. I believe they just changed the interface a little.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I understand this product (RestoreIt) creates a hidden partition upon installation. Is this done automatically or does the user have to create the partition themselves?

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I suggest that anyone interested in RestoreIt go to their website and download the huge 100+ page manual. Yes, I know that the manual is for version 6, but at least it will give you some idea of how this program works, plus it makes for an interesting read.

http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/support/usersguide.shtml

Acadia

10. Ailric

Ailric Guest

It does this automatically. During install, you must select custom install to make the hidden partition the size you wish, otherwise it uses default settings.

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not absolutely sure about that as I have been seeing the incremental backup size change during the course of using my computer, and this is without creating another restore point. Their website does say:
    so I assume this is what's happening.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Tony, very interesting, then I just learned something, thank you.

Acadia

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think I perhaps spoke too soon.

I did a test by creating a text document, edited it again, and then deleted it. No backup was made after the creation of that document, but the incremental file size from the last backup still increased. Upon restoration from that incremental restore point, the system returned to the point of that last backup, so the new document wasn't stored. Obviously, if I had done a backup after creating that file, it should be there if I restored from that point in time.

What I don't understand is why the incremental backup space increases even when no backups are made, either manually or automatically via schedule.

Example: incremental backup point created today, 6.36pm
    Size at 9.25pm: 171496 KB
    Size at 9.27pm: 181607 KB

(browser pages had been opened during this time.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Size at 10.30pm: 274963 KB

No backups or restores have been made in the last hour so I dunno what's happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.