Acronis's Inconsistant History

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jwjw1, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwjw1

jwjw1 Registered Member

I've been using Server 9.1.3534 and 3567 flawlessly on a Server box and even partitioned/tested Vista and had great success (backups and restores]..then I built a new box and went with Vista only on that machine...now with every restored from a recovery cd I get a 'new hardware found' installing generic volume software 'reboot' (currently finally using Echo Workstation 9.5.8018..only because i drifted amoung the various (Home 10.4942--Home 11--and various other servers and updated version) to find one that again works with my Logitech USB 2.0 Cordless Duo MX700 Keyboard and Mouse (others worked fine until the Main GUI came on and it has nothing to do with the Legecy bandwagon...seems when they update a version they forget about what use to work...I've been though all the lip service of Support having me boot and F11 and floppy the information and send it..and all im left with is them telling me to wait for an update..LOL.

if hardware worked on a earlier version..it should continue to work for others in the future...you've already gone from the earlier days of being 35mbs to over 300mbs on CD..so whats a DVD.....isn't everyone following Norton Bloatware...I don't care as long as your product remain 'Trustworthy'.

also wanted to 'add' and note another observation...I have a HDD that I use strickly for Image Backups and Storage..and it was FAT32 and a 8g partition would backup compressed to about 4-5gs in about 4mins average..then I decided to convert it to NTFS..and with the same partition and using same recovery cd to back it up...it tooks over 24mins and longer to restore....WTF!!...formatted it...converted it back to Fat32 and its back to under 4mins.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Very interesting .... I wonder if you specify a split size of 4Gb (or 2Gb) and backup to an NTFS drive, if the times would be as for the Fat32 drive?

3. jwjw1

jwjw1 Registered Member

Actually Acronis sets the default to 4g splits...so its something to do with NTFS and Acronis's ability to ulitilize that type of partition outside of windows. Acronis needs to set up a seperate thread for Vista, now that its becoming more widely installed and deals strickly with NTFS. I even dusted off a Norton Ghost Product for this test and it didn't lose anytime dealing with reading and writing Vista to a NTFS storage Drive...but Arconis struggled and there have been other similar reports.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Something isn't right ... if the backup is going to an NTFS drive, Acronis shouldn't split the backup, unless they've changed the default settings.

5. jwjw1

jwjw1 Registered Member

"Something isn't right ..."

duh! to Arconis...hopefully they will figure out Vista before they loss more customers to 'Paragon'

1.MBR errors from a TI restore (winload.exe) (total screw up of the BCD)
    2.New Hardware found..installing generic volume software drivers
    3. Slow to write and read from and to NTFS
    4. inconsistant hardware support (USB works with one version.then next version update it doesn't)

in fact, I've stopped all purchase's from Acronis..since I handle the companys software req's...and started using 'Paragon'

Acronis really needs to come out of the Fat32-WinXP era and work harder with Vista's NTFT future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.