Acronis11 - NO BOOT FROM RESCUE MEDIA - no configuration file present (VISTA)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bg1, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Hi Forum, Greetings Acronis,

my problem has been posted several times, at various places and exists on different systems/setups - but NO SOLUTION is to be found :oops:
    (i´ve been searching and googeling for many days...)

A request sent via the german "acronis.de" has not been answered o_O

Under these conditions the software is useless to me :( , since i cannot save and restore in case of a HDD-crash! An essential feature for a security software. This is really sad because i was a fan of Acronis for quite some time, and i recommended it to a lot a of people!

THE PROBLEM:
    I cannot create rescue media / CD with Acronis True Image 11!
    No matter if i try "full" or "save".

I bought a new Notebook NOV/2008 (Samsung Mebugo) and Acronis true image version "11" (rather than "2009", because i assumed that "11" should be bugfree!). Acronis 11 was updated by me to Build 8105 (latest version)

HARDWARE: Notebook // Samsung R560 Aura (Mebugo)
    CPU: P7350
    RAM: 4GB
    HDD: 320GB Fujitsu SATA: MHZ2320BH G2
    CD/DVD: Teac: DV-28S-R

My OS = MsVISTA Home Premium SP1

:thumbd: Message from notebook when trying to boot from rescue/boot disk...
    --> " No confuration file present "
    --> Reboot...

I need help fast, because i´m trying to set ma notebook up and want(ed) to save different install-points...

A solution can help also others, because - as mentioned above - i´m not the only one with this problem!!

Thanks 2 ALL
    b

@ Acronis-team: I´m sending this message from Germany. (sorry for typos).
    As i mentioned this is NOT a new or individual problem. What i don´t understand - Why don´t you post a help or solution on the german www-site? And WHAT takes so long to answer?
    AND WHY can i buy a Software in NOV-2008, when a new build is already available since May-2008, which is only visible/shown after registration? - No sticker on the box...!
    What really upsets me: IF i would´ve trusted the software, then i would´ve had a huge problem in case of a HDD-crash, one of the main reasons why people buy the software!!
    I´m just glad i tested the boot-CD and recommend this to everybody!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hi bg1,

When you try to create a new rescue media within Ti, have you tried to create an ISO-file?

If not then do it and burn the ISO to a CD.

The you have your bootable-Ti-rescue-cd...

EDIT1
    You have Ti installed under Windows, right?
    Or do you try to create a rescue-cd by starting with an old Ti rescue-media?

3. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Re: Acronis11 - No Boot ... No configuration file present (VISTA)

Hi Again,

here´s a short update.

Nada-NoGo-Nothing... no news from "acronis-support".

- Friday 7th NOV08 11:00 GMT i sent a first request for help.
    - Monday 10th NOV08 11:00 " i sent a reminder.
    - Also on mondy i posted my problem here, which is NOT A NEW ONE (as anyone can find out by searching the www), until now NO feedback - NIENTE :mad:

My solution is logical, allthough it´ll cost me a lot of time:

1. If there´s no help by tomorrow i´ll be RETURNING this software ("SW"),getting a full refund.
    2. Since Acronis True Image 11 didn´t work for me and since there was no decent support, i cannot recommend Acronis anymore, like i did in the past - SORRY for that.
    3. I will buy a competitors SW. O&O, Norton ...there´s enough out there...
    4. My notebook i´ll have to set up again from scratch, since i need the various stages of SW-installation.
    "Service" comes from "to serve"... The method "hold still until the problem solves itself" is not a smart strategy to build up a good reputation! I´d rather pay a few dollars/Euro more if the service "fits".

And finally: Some private users might have a strong say in business live ;) ...and having worked in sales for all my life, i can tell you: "It´s not a good idea to devide SERVICE into "classes". There is only 2 kinds of service: Good or Bad."

Many greetings and thanks to the forum again for reading this
    (i´ll let you know if Acr. reacts until tomorrow)
    Good night 2 all from Germany
    b

P.S:: I guess it was naiv to hope for an easy, fast and uncomplicated solution :argh:

4. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Hi MrMorse,

Thanks a lot for your reply!!

i answered within the quote, hope that´s ok.

Whatever i´ll do - Thank you a lot for the idea !!
    The more i think about it the more i loose the trust i used to have in Acr.. That´s sad, because i used Acr.TI in the past and don´t understand why things don´t work anymore the way they used to...

Greetings
    b
    PS: Gotta go now :(

5. MrMorse

Is that your problem?

The solution is:
    - start Ti11 under Windows
    - Menue "Extras"
    - "Bootfähiges Notfallmedium erstellen"
    - dem Dialog folgen (=follow the dialogs)
    - in the last Dialog you chose "ISO-Image"
    - Give a Dateiname (eg: "C:\temp\schiessmichtod.iso")
    - Press "Fertigstellen"

Then burn the ISO to your CD/DVD.
    You get a rescue-cd from that build you have installed under Windows (In your case: 8105, right)

Where is the problemo_O?

In which dialog do you have problems?

If you can create the Ti11-8105-rescue-cd you are on the 'save' side when you can boot from this CD and all your hardware is recognized.
    Try to boot and see...

You say:
    You are not sure how to do that but you are sure in this '33%'??

Sorry, I don't understand it.

I suspect you don't know what you really want. Clear for you is to argue with Acronis.

Either you explain your real problem here (without bashing anybody) and you get help; Or you have to change the software...

P.S.:
    Acronis read and replies threads after average of 16 days.

6. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Hi MrMorse,

thanks + Danke ;) for your answer.
    I tried your recommendation, but ...
    -> Acronis Loader
    -> No configuration file present
    -> Press.. for reboot....
    As we say in German "nothing runs, except the nose" ;)

That´s easy to explain: If i burn an image on DVD then i can´t use that DVD in case of a HDD crash (Totalschaden!) unless i have that Boot-CD. The same goes for USB-media... The ACRONIS (i think it was "7") i used under WinXP worked just fine! This version "Acronis11" does not, because i cannot boot externally, CD/DVD/USB with the Acronis "rescue-media".
    The way i see it right now: i need to have a working Windows to access my Recovery media via Windows-Vista, with the Acronis installed. BUT i want to access ALL created media DVD/USB and whatever, without having to install Windows first. Sorry - but who needs that? i don´t!
    Your suspision is wrong :) and i´d like to explain that to you and the readers.
    a - I did recommend Acronis to a lot of people, because in the past
    b - I used the older version for a long time and was really satisfied ("an old Acronis-Fan")
    c - When buying a NEW version that states on the box "Windows Vista kompatibel" - THEN i think it´s ok to expect it to work under Vista. Or?
    d - When i then contact Acronis with a Problem that is WELL KNOWN (not yelling, just to highlight it :) ) and that is known for at least 6-12 months, then i would expect help in form of an update or whatever....
    Or don´t you think that´s fair? (regardeless that i would think that a "Vista-kompatibel-SW" is tested before it hits the market with a "Vista-kompatibel-PrintOnTheBox".) At least that´s the way i would work!!

I did explain my problem quite clear - incl. error message and HW-infos - i just like to be able to boot from the media i created so far and that i´ll create in the future. Without "clueing something together" (also ohne mir etwas basteln zu müssen) because the SW i paid for doesn´t work 100%!

!! This has got nothing to do with "bashing" !!

These are simply the facts. That SW/Acronis11 doesn´t seem to work for everybody, it doesn´t for me, and the support is quasi not there or to late and to little. And if you think i´m the only one - or just a stupid, incapable user, then read some of the troubles that users describe on "Amazon .de or .com" ...!! And read the opinions they have about the support, too!
    I read them before buying, but bought anyway because i thought: "Well, old problems... an update or support will surely bring help if i need it..." But boy was i wrong: NIX, NIENTE, NOGO
    I strongly recommend to read these customer opinions, and then i hope you don´t think i´m here for bashing!!

Finally: To say it with Acronis´ slogan: I´d like to "compute with confidence"
    For you it might work - but not for me :(
    And the Acronis "support" has still not answered. In case of "worsed case" i don´t need that kind of "support", because in that time (and typing all this) i easily would´ve set up from scratch.

And this bringes me to a simple conclusion:
    Return + Refund.... Find and buy a Data-Security-Software that works for me...
    No more Acronis that i can recommend, and believe me!, i´d rather

MrMorse please don´t take it personal (bin weder ein Troll noch ein Hobby-basher, sondern möchte nur zu 100% nutzen was ich bezahlt habe. Meine EUROs waren ja auch 100% nutzbar ;) Für mich ist der "Acr.-Service" sinnlos, denn hier steht seit Tagen ein neues zu sicherndes Notebook für das ich jetzt neue SW beschaffen muss. Dann muss ich das Teil nochmal von vorne aufsetzen. Nur gut dass ich das "noBoot-feature" per Test entdeckt habe. Unabhängig davon, ich komme aus Vertrieb/Marketing, kann ich Dir sagen dass meine Idee+Meinung von einem guten Support erheblich von dem abweicht was ich gerade erleben durfte. Echt Schade für das Produkt.).

Well - Acronis just lost another customer. For good.

Greetings to all
    b

P.S.: This post describes my personal experience as an advanced user, who used an older Acronis-version in the past and was satisfied. My text expresses my personal opinion only and is case-specific, i guess. Please check and test for yourself before you act! Those who find irony and typos can keep them free of charge :cool:
    And forgive me my few german words to MrMorse, it´s nothing i didn´t already mention in engl. :)

7. MrMorse

Hi bg1,

a great and honest post. Really, I can follow you in all points.

Yes, Acronis needs too much time to give an answer. Anyway, for me Acronis is 'usable'. I have an open issue at Acronis and they work on it...

But to your problem.
    I cannot give up so early. I have a problem to follow you at what point Acronis doesn't work for you.

Please confirm my assumptions:
    - You have Ti 11 (built 8105) installed under Windows.
    - if you start Ti11 under Windows you get the Acronis-Loader (see picture #1)
    - The picture #2 doesn't appear, right?

The Acronis-loader hangs, right? (picture #1)

That is my first question.
    My second is about starting with the rescue-cd you have.
    You said:
    You can start with the rescue-media. When the 'chose'-menu appears (if you comes to this point) you can press F11 and fill in the parameters "quiet acpi=off noapic" and start ti home full.

BTW:
    About your explanation about this:
    Yes, you have to have an Acronis boot-cd additional to your image-DVDs. What is the difference to carry an additional rescue-cd with your data-cd/dvds?
    Its one more disc...

But I understand your point.

Attached Files:

8. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Hi MrMorse,

the "boot-issue" or "SATA-boot-issue" is a topic that seems to be related to the Linux based boot-setup that Acronis uses. At least that is what understand by reading about it... Also to be found on this forum...

I guess one could bypass it by "baking his own "PE-Start-Disk" (BartPE.."basteln"), but that is not my idea of a "working Software" ;) Because i didn´t pay to THEN work myself through BartPE + Co. ... (the support topic left aside)
    My personal trust is down, because who knows if "the rest" works the way it should o_O
    Yes i can confirm that Acronis 11 seems to work ok when started under Windows (i see all windows you showed in your post). But the rescue
    disks/media (images on DVD, rescue-CD) are NOT bootable on my notebook!!

- Notebook OFF
    - Insert CD / DVD
    - Turn NB ON to boot from CD / DVD
    - Read error message :p

THIS means: In case of a HDD-Crash there is ONLY the following procedure to recover with Acronis11 (remember: That is IF the images work):
    1. Replace HDD
    2. Install WinVISTA
    3. Install Acronis
    4. Try the Image that was created under WinVISTA

That takes hOURS.... of time and makes the SW almost obsolete, at least to my opinion :)

So i´ll return the SW this week and make a competitor happy :cool:

Greetings and thanks again for trying.
    b

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bg1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out the reason for delay with answer. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Meanwhile, from the error message you describe it seems that the standart Acronis Loader does not work on your system for some reason. Please send us a Private Message with your Acronis True Image serial number; I will provide you with an .iso image to create a bootable media with a custom loader that will work on your system.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

Hello Marat,
    thank you for answering, i really appreciate it!!
    My request was send in german language via acronis.de (please see copy below) it describes the problem stated here.
    A - I did not get a request#, as you suspect. Here is a copy of the german message i sent:
    I will send you my ATi-Serial# via PM as you asked.

Please, can you tell me (i pasted these questions into the PM) :
    1. Should i change to 2009...?
    Here is what i thought: ... I bought "ATI-11", even if "ATi-2009" was standing next to it, because i thought that "11" would run more stable! WOULD "2009" solve my problem, or will i have have the same "boot-problem" with it? (There´s all kind of different info from users i´d read...)

2. Can i use Build-8064 images AFTER i updated it to Build-8105, or can there be problems when i try to used "the old "8064".tib with the "8105"?

3. What IF i need/want to use ATi11 ( Ati-2009 ) on other machines (XP or VISTA)? Do i then always need a "Special-Boot-ISO (CD)"?

4. And last - What are the limitations when using the "ISO-Boot-Media" versus "normal functions of ATi-11".

Thank you 1000x for answering and your help!

Many greetings from Germany
    bg1

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bg1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check your Private Messages.

To answer your questions: I would recommend you to use the version that you like more - there were quite a lot of changes, big and small, between Acronis True Image 11 Home and Acronis True Image Home 2009. I may suggest you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image Home 2009 in the respective User's Guide.

The images created with build 8064 of Acronis True Image 11 Home should be properly recognized by build 8101. In fact, Acronis True Image is guaranteed to support images one version back (for example, Acronis True Image Home 2009 will recognize images created with Acronis True Image 11 Home).

The iso image is not required to be used if the media created with installed version of the program works properly. However, since the .iso image is always created with the latest updates that may not yet be included in the released builds, in some cases it may be benefical to use the media created with .iso image. It is in no way inferior in functionality to the one created with installed version of the program.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. bg1

bg1 Registered Member

:thumb: Problem solved :thumb:

Hello Marat,

thank you for your help!! :thumb: and your PM.
    AS you know - meanwhile the german support also reacted, and they sent me a link for the .iso you mentioned.
    GOOD NEWS! :D The .iso that was sent to me works. At least i can boot now from CD and i assume that restore will then also work.

I´m glad that i can continue to use Acronis under Vista, even if it was more comfortable "in the old times" (bootable image-DVD´s) under XP. For my part i´m happy that i didn´t have to return my Acronis 11 and will keep it !!

Greetings from Germany to all and
    1000 Thanks again to you and your colleagues :thumb:
    bg1

P.S.: We all (and other Acronis customers) could have saved lots of time, if this .iso would´ve been provided directly on the www. acro.... (but maybe there is a reason i don´t know, why not to do that o_O ), ... WhatEver - i guess the main thing is that it works now ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.