Acronis wiped out machine again!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mjclifford, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjclifford

mjclifford Registered Member

Many of you may have read of the dismal efforts that this software failed to restore a hard drive of mine several weeks ago, an image that was verified.

I hired a data recovery outfit, spent weeks restoring to a new hard drive, and updated to the version 786.

After doing a backup and restore, this software JUST RUINED THE DRIVE upon reboot!

I'm now looking at dozens of hours to rebuild this drive.

Yes, I just wrote out to the network a verified image. Care to guess if it works?

Recall from my last post that the phone is S.F. was disconnected.

I plan after this nightmare to write PC Magazine and lobby to see that this excuse for a product never makes the PC Editor award again.

MJC

2. mjclifford

mjclifford Registered Member

An update:

The very image that was just saved from under the same conditions AND VERIFIED now cannot be restored. Why? It says that it's corrupt.

Beware of this software. Fool me twice..
    MJC

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

mjclifford,

Before going any further, give a try to this. Boot your system into Safe Mode, if your only image is on a network drive, boot into Safe Mode with Network support.

Start TrueImage and use Check image to check the image you want to restore. If it is good, restore it.

4. chs00

chs00 Registered Member

Hi,

1. Sry for my english ;-))

2. One of the first lessons I'd learned was - NEVER try to restore from an LAN-mapped-drive ! Esp. under Mickeysoft.....

If you can do, make a local copy of the image, check it & try again.

Hope, this can fix your prob. Good luck.

cu
    chs00

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mjclifford,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please describe in details what happened when you set up the restoration process? Did you do it under Windows or after booting from Acronis Bootable CD? What happened after you rebooted the computer?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. dionis

dionis Registered Member

I had a similar experience as RJC: After a crash of Windows XP, I tried to restore from an external USB Drive. The 2. step of the restoration process stopped after about 5 minutes and I ended up with an empty unformatted harddisk.
    After reformatting with PartitionMagic I trie it twice, again the same result, stop after a few minutes. (The imagefiles were verified).

Since I lost all my data and programs, this is a major catastrophy.

HS

7. jmk94903

This is certainly a desperate situation when a backup fails to restore. Since it might be due to a hardware problem, one test would be to install Windows from the installation CD to this hard drive. If RAM and the hard drive are in good condition, the installation should proceed smoothly. If you get error messages, resolve those before attempting to restore your backup again. Since the Windows installation is automatic after the beginning, this really won't take much of your time.

8. Beach

Beach Registered Member

2. One of the first lessons I'd learned was - NEVER try to restore from an LAN-mapped-drive ! Esp. under Mickeysoft.....

What exactly do you mean by this?? Do you mean not to restore a mapped drive, or a mapped drive over a LAN?? I was wondering what the difference was being mapped or not, I restore over a LAN with no problem but have a customer that has a mapped drive that I do back up. TIA

9. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

A verified image should be mountable as a drive from which you can drag and drop your data. This is not disaster recovery but just a fall back to a position of having your data backed up and recoverable.

If this was a verified image that had been copied to another media - all bets are off and you can comisserate in the "Who has not had a corrupt image" thread and that is not a TI problem.

10. dionis

dionis Registered Member

Re jmk9403:Reinstallation of WindowsXP went smoothly, no indication of hardware problems. However I do not dare to restore a third time and run the risk to wipe out the machine again.
    Re TSU: The sugestion of mounting the image and recovery by drag and drop worked for my data partition.
    But I still wonder, why the restore of a verified image ends up with wiping out the machine.

HS

11. jmk94903

I can see why you wouldn't want to have your installation screwed up a third time. Once was too many.

USB drives are a problem for some people, but usually the problem appears when the image saved to the USB drive is tested with Check Image in TI and found to be corrupt. As I understand your case, you made the image to the USB drive and verified it there as good, so it would seem your USB drive is fine, and there is no explanation for your problem during the restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.