Acronis WinPE Builder Missing in Build 3633

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ARAUL, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARAUL

ARAUL Registered Member

On build 3625 there was a program shortcut to Acronis WinPE Builder which is no longer there on build 3633. In build 3625 there was winpe_iso.exe which is no longer there in build 3633.

I do realize there is still the BartPE folder in build 3633. I did a complete install on a clean hard drive with no previous version of TI 9 to uninstall.

Questions:

Was anyone able to get the Acronis WinPE Builder to work in build 3625?

I wonder if Acronis had reports of problems, so they eliminated that new feature until it was working properly?

Does anyone show winpe_iso.exe in there TrueImageHome folder in the latest build 3633?

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

3. ARAUL

ARAUL Registered Member

Windows XP Professional

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

That might account for the 1.4Mb difference in the two versions.

Colin

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ARAUL,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that Acronis WinPE Builder has been implemented in the previous build (3625) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home by mistake. This feature is available for Corporate Products only. So Acronis WinPE Builder
    has been removed from the current version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

If you want to use Acronis WinPE Builder, we recommend you to visit Acronis online store and purchase Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation Upgrade.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Dear acronis check your compile department!

because also in the corporate versions it is gone!

please fix asap

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

:( For shame.... sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

8. backman

backman Registered Member

Are you sure? It seems like you have to go to custom install and include it. In other words, it is not part of the standard install. Start the installation routine again and select Custom install, or whatever it is called, and see if it's there. If not, then my apologies. I didn't install it, but I thought I saw it there.

Terry

9. backman

backman Registered Member

jeremyotten,

I just went back and checked. Acronis WInPE ISO Builder is there, at least I have a start group entry for it now. I haven't tried to use it. If you want to install it though, I would uninstall and reinstall TI from scratch, selecting it under custom install. I tried to do it using a repair install and it lost my serial number in the process, so I had to reinstall the whole thing anyway.

Terry

10. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Ok but then they changed it from being installed standard to not standard. Therefor I didn't go and look for it any further.

Topic closed!

11. Howard Kaikow

Ah ha, the truth finally be told!
    We now know the real reason that 3633 was issued the day after 3625.

12. crofttk

Yup, and I guess that = "Direct DVD Support Fixes". Sufficiently vague to obfuscate just about anybody.:p

13. Howard Kaikow

I consider both items to be a result of screw ups, indicating a serious problem within Acronis.

Removing WinPE was necessitated by such a failure.

But so was the failure to wait for including the DVD stuff. Indeed, I would consider this a bigger failure tan accidentially including WinPE.

Heck, I could understand adding DVD a few weeks later, but not just one day after the previous release.

14. Robert17

Robert17 Registered Member

The earlier reply about mistakenly releasing WinPE Builder explained why Build #3633 followed so quickly after #3625. WinPE Builder is apparently a supported feature of the TrueImage 9 WORKSTATION product.

I'm writing to ask if someone has an explantion of what WinPE builder does and how to use the feature. Maybe this means pointing to documentation somewhere within the Acronis organization.

Without some kind of fuller explanation, it's hard to decide whether to purchase the TrueImage 9 Workstation product. Can someone help me?

Sincerely,

Robert17.

15. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

Ok, now I understand! I went from 3567 to 3633, I didn’t find out about an update until 3633 came out. I currently have B3633 installed, but managed to download B3625. I am using XP pro SP2.

My question is can I temporally install B3625, and create the BartPE ISO from 3625? Then reinstall B3633 and use still use the BartPE ISO CD?

Or to make things easer leave B3633 installed and just install the BartPE ISO from B3625?

Becky

16. Howard Kaikow

Why do you want WinPE?
    What will it do for you?

17. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't understand!

I have 3633 installed with the Typical Install option. I just restarted the 3633 installation file and it asked if I wanted to do a Modify. I selected Modify and then I could install the BartPE files in the BartPE folder. Are we talking about the same thing or is it actually called WinPE in 3625?

The BartPE option exists in 3567 as well.

18. crofttk

WinPE and BartPE are two DIFFERENT things. People are confusing one with the other or failing to make the distinction altogether.

19. Howard Kaikow

Yes, butt, of what use is each?

20. crofttk

Well, I can't get into the specific comparative functionality of each because I simply don't know, never having used them (although I want to learn more about BartPE some day when I manage to make the time). Maybe someone else can tell you that, Howard.

My statement was based on my perception that WinPE is an "official" Microsoft tool available only to its OEM and enterprise, or otherwise special, clients, i.e., not available to "us peasants" in general whereas BartPE was conceived as a replacement for WinPE and is freely available to everyone.

As it stands now, I imagine BartPE is much more useful to your everyday home user (not average user, but those who would get into this area) than WinPE by virtue of the fact that its been around 4-5ish years now and has probably simply evolved to be more useful for us plus there's now a whole community out there collaborating to make it even more useful.

Feel free to correct me if my perception isn't accurate.

21. Howard Kaikow

If a particular backup program does not support the drivers for my backup devices, then I would just move on to a backup program that does support the devices.

What other purpose is there for WinPE or BartPE in the context of TI?

22. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The PE programmers are, basically mini versions of teh OS that can fit onto a CD so that you can run a abbreviated versions of Windows from a CD instead of needing the full package on a hard disk. ATI boot media use a version of Linux for the operating system but some folks prefer windows. PE is a version of windows that fits onthe CD so you can have boot media CD that runs win instead of linux. Why, diff set of drivers in Linux and Windows and if one set doesn't work the other probably will, especially since the PE version will use the same drivers as the windows on your system drive -- is win works on you hard drive, then the PE version should work too.

23. crofttk

Damned if I know.;)

24. Howard Kaikow

Yes, but if the backup program supports the drivers, there's no need for such a gimmick. Not to mention neither PE works with an OS prior to Win XP.

And, if the backup program does not support the drivers, I'd recommend using another backup program.

25. crofttk

Well, you certainly touch on a big difficulty Acronis faces with their ambitions for ATI, viz., wanting ATI to be both an imaging AND a backup program: One is typically used outside of an operating system, the other typically within an operating system. I think having the reliability of an imaging program alongside the functionality and flexibility of a backup program is a not insignificant challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.