Acronis will probably fail

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jamoke, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamoke

jamoke Registered Member

Acronis is building a bad reputation.

I bought True Image 8.0 twenty-five days ago and I have not been able to use it. Acronis suppport has asked me multiple times to "wait a few more days", and has since stopped responding to me completely. I will also say that Acronis sales support is just as bad. I have requested a refund from them and they have not responded. After reading all the problems I've seen with True Image 8.0 I can't understand why a company would release it. Oh, I'm sorry, I do know why... They want to rip-off as many people as possible and then go out of business! The very least they can do is offer a refund for people who have been unable to use their products. Are there any respectable companies in America anymore, who build quality products and stand by them?

2. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

I'd really have to take issue with your assessment of their motives. What you're suggesting (or accusing) is that Acronis is engaged in illegal and fraudulent activity. Those are very serious accusations and you really have an obligation to offer proof. Particularly since you claim to "know" this. I've seen no evidence in any of the posts in this forum that would support your contention.

There is a huge difference between inept and clumsy customer relations and intentional fraud. For your sake, I hope Acronis recognizes you're just spouting off.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

jamoke, I agree that without proof of the wrongdoing you are accusing Acronis of that you are opening your self to legal action. If you do actually have proof you need to bring it forth or else refrain from this kind of product bashing here on this forum.

bigc

here is an excerpt from the wilders tos.

Wilders Security Forums - Terms Of Service

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. This is not only a forum policy, but legal actions can be taken against you in accordance with appropriate laws

4. Realistic

Realistic Guest

To all concerned,
    Simply put, in layman's terms, when a company sells a product with certain claims that cannot be met, then a court can deem this as fraudulant whether or not the intent of fraud was there or proven.

So perhaps jamoke and Acronis should sue each other.

This sets the stage for interesting internet commerce. We don't know what quantities of ti have been sold. Could be hundreds, could be thousands, could be millions. We only know of the users that have stumbled here. That's not to say that these forum users are the only digruntled ones. The casual computer user has often bought software that was appealing, only to not have it work for any number of reasons and simply has forgotten about it. No complaint, no refund requests etc, and a lot of times it's solely their fault, not the software. The majority of users I come in contact with are like that. I call them the emailers. I'm also sure that there are many happy customers, but with ti8, that has probably diminished somewhat.
    The internet is largely, annonymous, so anything is possible. You don't really know where Acronis really is, who they really are, and what their intent is.
    Buy with a credit card and if it doesn't work for you, the credit card will refund you. If you can't buy with a card, don't buy.

5. wally3178

wally3178 Registered Member

I bought True Image 7 and decided to put it to the test.

I have a test machine which I use to check software compatibility, viruses and such like. Installed True Image and printed out and read the manuals (pretty basic stuff, I'm sure everyone reads their manuals). Then I chucked in a spare 160G HDD and cloned the system partition, making the new partition bootable. I shut down, made the new drive master and re-booted. Test one passed.

Test two I created an image file and a couple of incremental images then corrupted the system drive with a good dose of Netsky C and D and a liberal sprinkling of Sasser. I recovered the system with no fuss on the very first attempt; what a brilliant piece of software!

I think that if anyone has a problem with True Image, they either have not read the manuals properly and have no idea what they are doing, they have a totally buggered system that is beyond redemption or they are cretinous morons who should not be permitted to own computers; whichever it is, they should stop blaming the software and Acronis for their plain ineptitude and do something about their lack of ability.

6. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Then this is the wrong venue for accusations of fraud. It's also a well known and accepted axiom that one either "puts up or shuts up". BTW, you say a court can rule there is fraud whether or not intent was proven? That would be a neat trick. Fraud is deliberate.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I remember correctly, I don't believe Acronis is an American company.

Acadia

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello All --

Just to clarify all that : once again we *do* follow our refund policy. I can't remember a single time it was violated. However I do remember many times when we refunded purchases that didn't fall into the policy as we felt it would be *fair* to do so. You may go on further with your accusations, but please understand that if your refund wasn't processed immideately or by some chance your e-mail didn't reach the appropriate person somehow, it *wasn't* done intentionally as it would be rather stupid to do that, wouldn't it?

Thank you.

9. jamoke

jamoke Registered Member

Wow! You sound like your really know what you are doing! So I guess you have nothing better to do than create test machines to test software you buy. By the way, why were you forced to test the Acronis software? Did you not think it could do what it was purported to do? Were you refering to me when you stated, "...Acronis for their plain ineptitutde..."?

10. jamoke

jamoke Registered Member

I will stop my comments. Just tell me what I have to do to get a refund. I've requested a refund multiple times, using the only 3 methods available to me: email to sales with cc to support, voicemail to sales, this forum

11. wally3178

wally3178 Registered Member

Not at all, my career for the past 20 years has been programming and Systems Analysis and my hobby is computer security. I have seven computers in a lab at my home and as my primary system is not likely to become infected by some nerd virus I wanted to test the software to actually see it work; I was and am not likely to see it otherwise. It is installed on all my computers now and will stay there. As for the inepitude comment, if the cap fits, wear it.

12. ws123

ws123 Guest

i´ve bought in the last period of time version 6,7 and now 8.
    i do have a problem with new version 8.0.768 and 7.0.634.
    yes, only one problem!- they do not work!
    corrupted archives and no possibility creating of ti.images to cd´s.
    version 6 and 7.0.584 worked fine.
    i´m not asking for any refund - i´m asking for software which works !
    acronis should say to the public that there are some problems with the new versions and it would be very nice if they tell us when there will be a software which will do what is expected - work fine and proper! true image is - or i should say was till august 2004 very good software- now it have to become again a good product, the competitor don´t sleep!!!

13. chew

chew Registered Member

I saw a PC mag yesterday in UK that was givinig away Acronis in an attached give away disk (can't rememer which version or if it is free or trial) ... hmm ... interesting.

I was rather tempted so started searching Wilders to see how good they are ... hmm ...

I guess I will not go out and buy it immediately but to learn a bit more about the product first.

Are there any product out there ... ermm ... that is similar or better thatn Acronis?

Acronis = or < ?

d;-)

P/s: What do you use?

I am also trying to look for something like WinRescue ... and other Registry stuff ...

pp/s: ermm ... on the 2nd thought ... I will give Acronis a miss for a while ... after all the comments ...

hmm ... I just re-read the Acronis thread again ... hmmm ... not a software for newbie I guess -> like me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Believe it or not, TrueImage is actually the easiest to use drive imager, I'm not saying the best or most reliable, but definitely the easiest to use for newbies.

Acadia

15. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

Hey Wally,

You probably have a fair bit more experience than myself and a number of other users who are struggling with an image restore, as highlighted from another thread here;
    Could you do another test using TI8 please mate? Image a laptop or tablet PC hard drive and then restore the image. We are all getting a reboot at the point in the restore where you are asked to hit the first 'next' button. The problem may be Laptop related?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Gibbo

16. tdk4u

tdk4u Guest

Sour grapes. The software works as advertised. It is an excellent piece of kit. I've used Drive Image, Norton Ghost, and Image for Windows in the past. I made the switch to True Image and can't see myself going back. Today I used it to create and image of Longhorn 4074. And while there are problems that Longhorn has with displaying the progress the image was created perfectly.

17. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I was a big user of Norton ghost before I discovered True Image. The first time I used TI 7, I did not even read the users guide. It was so easy, that I was able to create an image by just using the on-board wizard. Matter of fact, I have never read the users guide even after using TI for that past three months. Never had to. I have been able to create dozens of image files, and have successfully restored from these images with no issues.

Recently I have tried True Image 8, build 768, and did encounter a few problems. There are a few bugs here and there that have been reported to TI, and I am sure they will be fixed in future updates. Until then, I have gone back to TI 7, and once again, have no issues. True Image is by far the easiest to use in creating and restoring image files. Remember this, forums such as this, will have more complaints than praise for the product. Most people will not come to a public forum and tell everyone the software is working great. However, you can bet that people with issues will fill up the threads. I am sure there are thousands of users who are having no issues at all, but don't poke their head in here to talk about it.

Tipton

18. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Very well put, Tipton.

19. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I agree Tipton & Wdormann.

I've worked my way through TrueImage 6, 7 & 8 (build 768 currently installed) and also use DiskDirector and DriveCleanser. Have had my fair share of problems with all three programmes but Acronis have always managed to sort them out in subsequent builds. I guess having a reasonably standard, non networked, setup helps.

Anyway, I'm confident enough in the reliability of the software now, to the extent that I've uninstalled my copies of Powerquest Drive Image and Partition Magic for good.

Regards

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

o_O PM is not an imaging program. Also, PM would be a perfect program to create the partitions on which to store the images that you create using TI.

Acadia

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Obviously, the Acronis support forum is not the place for your post. If you want to discuss imaging software in general, go to the "software and services" section.

Now, let's all keep it civil. Had I noticed this thread with the title and accusations when it was new, I would have removed it. Now that Acronis has replied, I expect the silliness to cease.

22. jamoke

jamoke Registered Member

So Wally3178, what do you suggest I do after buying TI 8.0 and not being able to burn a CD after 29 days? Here's your choices:

1) Request a refund from Acronis and buy another product in which I can actually backup my system on CDs.

2) Spend countless hours trying to get my Windows ME system to work with TI, with no help from Acronis. Of course, I bought the product so I could backup my files and then upgrade to XP. By the way, there is no built-in backup utility in Windows ME.

3) Wait an unspecified amount of time for Acronis to offer me a solution.

4) Give a charitable contributuion to Acronis for having such a high quality product.

23. chew

chew Registered Member

Detox,

Sorry, if my question offended Acronis or Acronis fans. That was not my intention.

I am actually searching for the info. related to such a product or similar kind of product and trying to decide which one to invest in.

I am not here to post comments on Acronis Imaging 8. I am just trying to find a back up product to invest in.

Point taken. This Acronis Image related thread only.

Everyone,

I saw a free version of Acronis Image being given away in one of the pc mag (in UK btw) this month.

It is Acronis Imaging Deluxe ... I think it might be version 6 or 7? Correct me if I am wrong.

chew

Edited 29/08/04

24. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Acadia,
    I actually now prefer Acronis Disk Director Suite to create and manage my partitions!

As this thread is titled "Acronis will probably fail" and a number of derogatory remarks have been made about Acronis, I'm a satisfied user of three Acronis products and felt the need to post an alternative view.

Regards
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.