Acronis will not install on Ubuntu 9.1

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxlad, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxlad

linuxlad Registered Member

Im currently loged in as root:
    After running the .i686 from the console and immediately after answering the components selection during the setup process I get the following message:

"Installing Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server failed on your system. Installation could not continue, please report file /var/log/trueimage-setup.log to support@acronis.com.
    rpm: please use alien to install rpm packages on Debian, if you are really sure use --force-debian switch. See README.Debian for more details."

log-file is attached

kernel linux 2.6.31-16-generic
    Ubuntu 9.10(karmic)
    Agent_Linux_ATIES.Echo_9.7.8353_EN

Attached Files:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Can you run file <acronis file> so we can see what it exactly it, seems like rpm, which do not naturally run on debian-based systems like Ubuntu.

You will need alien utility to convert rpm to deb, but it's not guaranteed.
    To install alien: sudo apt-get install alien.

Then use it to convert the package ...

But BEFORE that - see if there's .tar.gz or something available or a .deb package on Acronis site.

Mrk

3. linuxlad

Thanks,
    It is an .i686 file and I already have the latest version of alien install, but it will not help since the file is not an .rpm.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

See what else they offer for download.
    Try tar.gz if they have and run command line install.
    Likewise, run file <downloaded ati package> to make sure what the file is.
    Mrk

5. linuxlad

Trueimage 9.1 and 9.7-echo are .i686-binary executables and neither will install, however, i downloaded their latest "backup and recovery 10-trial .i686" and it installed and worked correctly including all components.
    I have posted this message on their board since i have a license for 9.1 and 9.7-echo but neither will install.

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Dude you are trying to install an .rpm on Ubuntu. That simply wont work without using alien, and as Mrv said, alien is not guaranteed to work. Does Acronis not have a .deb file you can download?

Linux is not Windows, there is not a single univrsal binary file. (Well there sorta is, but it's not widely used at all).

7. linuxlad

I have tried alien, but unfortunately, that didn't work either, and no, acronis does not have the .deb version only the .i686.
    This is the output of <file>:
    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.