Acronis vs. OEM restore - are they the same?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Sand, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I have a shut down error message on my XP saying "Memory could not be written," or "Memory could not be read." Fortunatley I had an Acronis back up image of BEFORE that message ever happened. I did the Acronis restore TI10(went perfectly) but after a few days of shutting down the error message came back. I have been working with my OEM who is pressing HARD for me to use my OEM recovery. Which will take me back to factory default. I keep trying to explain to them that I have Acronis and used restore from Acronis - and if that didn't take care of it why would using their OEM restore work? There is a communication problem - plus I don't think they know what "Acronis" is anyway...

Is using Acronis to "fix" a problem the same as using your OEM recovery and going back to default? I don't want to spend HOURS which is what it will take to get me back running - if they are "one and the same."

I'm asking because I am in NO WAY confident of the instructions I have been receiving from my OEM.

Thanks for considering....

Sandy

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It is not the same. Your OEM doesn't know what you have added which may be causing the problem that's why they are asking that you run the OEM recovery. It's standard troubleshooting procedure.

4. The Sand

Hi Grover, thanks for the tip here. One of the things I did to rid myself of this pesty error message was install new ram. I was very surprised it persisted after the new ram. Maybe the "memory test" (which I have not ever done) would tell me if there is something else causing this - some other hardware problem besides ram.

Thanks for the input...

Sandy

5. The Sand

I think I see what you mean... if I use the OEM restore and go back to default and the error message is not there then I have ruled out a hardware problem - then it would be a software problem. And then I would "add stuff" back and hopefully find out where the problem lies.

Thanks for your feedback here...

Sandy

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

So long as yu save all your data to some other disk before you let the OEM program take the disk image back to day one . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.