Acronis v.11.8053 doesn't recognize full backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fdm2000, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdm2000

fdm2000 Registered Member

I created a full image backup and ran a validation and received a window message that validation was complete and successful, but when I look for the archive in Acronis it is not shown in the directory tree under the Seagate Free Agent external HDD. What is odd, at least to me a beginner, is that the backup file is actually on the external Seagate HDD-that is to say that when I open the Seagate drive from MY COMPUTER the file and its details are shown?

Can someone tell me what may have gone wrong - I made a point to close all open programs and applications including my antivirus program before creating the backup. I did notice that following the validation my mouse hung and the PC was unresponsive requiring a power shut down. Could that provide a clue have been a factor?

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Frank

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I always find it is better to use True Image via the bootable Rescue CD. While it may take a little longer, it helps to avoid problems like the one you're running into.

3. fdm2000

Thanks for the suggestion, D, - will try it.

Frank

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Do a file search for *.tib
    or search for any file created on the date of the backup.
    Did you put the backup in a folder of its own?

5. fdm2000

Thanks for the response GroverH. I did not create a folder at the time of backup - only the backup file itself. Could this be the problem?
    As mentioned the file appears on my Seagate FreeAgent external HDD, but not in the Acronis archive selection tree under the external HDD (drive H), making it impossible to add incremental or differential backups or to restore.
    The file does not show up anywhere else on a search as you suggested.

Should I delete the backup file on the external HDD and try another backup? Another responder suggested to do the backup using the bootable CD I made.

I would appreciate your thoughts,

Frank

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fdm2000,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify if the file does have .tib extension? If not, please add it to the file using Windows "rename" command.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. fdm2000

Regarding the response from Acronis Support the answer is, yes, I did create a file as follows: H:\1stfullbackup080504\MyBackup.tib.

As mentioned when I ran the validation option it indicated a successful validation but at that point my PC and mouse locked up and I had to do a power shutdown. After rebooting I was able to find the backup file in the Seagate FreeAgent external HDD (drive H) but not in Acronis Archive selection tree. Still wondering what happened and why? Since I cannot find the file in Acronis it is useless to me for differential or incremental backups or rescue or restoration.

Frank

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Go back to the selection tree and try some other browse variations.

You may have to open my computer to see all the selections.

Now that you know exactly what and where to look, perhaps you can find it. While it shouldn't matter, avoid having any spaces or periods inside the name.
    I would suggest even renaminig the file and even rename the folder. It exists so it should show. Drive letters may differ if you are using the Rescue CD.

9. fdm2000

Thanks GroverH. Had no luck in finding the .tib file I made anywhere, except on the Seagate external drive. I am at the point where I will just delete the file from the external drive and try a new full backup and see if the same problem reoccurs. I think there might be a connection between the PC lock up following the validation routine and the absence of the file in the Acronis Archive Selection tree. If so, I may have a corrupted v.11 or a program on my PC is conflicting with Acronis? As a newbie I am unaware of any or all of the possible problems one can encounter when using Acronis.

Frank

10. Acronis Support

Hello fdm2000,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Thank you for clarification. Could you please try entering the full path (i.e., H:\1stfullbackup080504\MyBackup.tib) to the archive manually into the folder string on the "Archive location" screen? Please inform us of the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. fdm2000

Response to Acronis support post:
    I have moved on and deleted the .tib file on my Seagate external HDD and attempted another full backup by opening TI 11 with the bootable rescue CD. It also failed - see my latest thread posed 5/12 as follows:

Frustrated newbie - unable to create full image backup
    I recently downloaded and installed TI 11 8053 build and have been attempting to create a full backup of my internal drive C HDD to an external HDD without success. My operating system is WIN XP Home.
    My first attempt to create a backup to my Seagate external HDD resulted in what appeared to be a full .tib backup file on the external HDD but the file was not found within the Acronis Archive Selection tree on the Seagate HDD or anywhere else making restoration or deferential backups impossible. I noted that my PC locked up at the completion of the what was reported to be successful validation process.

My second attempt also failed - after a forum member suggested that I open Acronis 11 via the bootable rescue CD and create the backup in that fashion. The backup process this time did not run to completion and locked up the PC again after only imaging 460 MB of the 98+ GB on my drive C. This time the incomplete .tib file appears in the Archive Selection tree as well as on the external HDD.

I have religiously followed the user manual instructions for creating a full image backup, and am at a loss to understand what is causing the problems described above.

I upgraded to TI 11 from the current version of Diskwizard an abbreviated version of Acronis that came with my Seagate external HDD and was told by an Acronis tech not to uninstall DiskWizard as it might adversely affect the operation of TI 11. Now I wonder if DiskWizard and TI 11 could be conflicting with each other?
    or,
    Do I have a corrupted download of version 11? Should I delete the program and redownload and install TI 11 again to see if that is the problem?
    or,
    is TI 11 buggy?

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

None of those are mutually exclusive and any combination of them could be at play here.

13. Acronis Support

Hello fdm2000,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.