Acronis & Utimaco compatible?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bjoeboo, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjoeboo

bjoeboo Registered Member

We use Utimaco Safeguard Easy full disk encryption software for our laptops at work. I want to make a backup image of my drive before I start tinkering with vmware beta & things. I usually use Acronis TrueImage. Does anyone have any success imaging a drive that has Utimaco disk encryption? My fear is that both Utimaco and Acronis have their own MBRs... I could alternately use Ghost or Symantec/Powerquest DriveImage for imaging, but I have to keep the Utimaco.

2. bjoeboo

bjoeboo Registered Member

ok I am going to try and answer my own question but need help..

Utimaco's site says:

Imaging of SafeGuard Easy encrypted Systems is possible but some conditions must be fulfilled.
    The imaging tool in use should be able to create a sector based image. Since tools, creating images out of Windows are usually unable to create sector based images; this variant is not supported.

All imaging types that exclude the partition on which the SGE kernel is placed will work, in principle. This implies that a Disk to Disk image of the first hard disk is not possible, as it contains the partition that holds the kernel.

The SafeGuard Easy kernel must be placed on a partition that shall not be imaged or dumped, using the automated (unattended) installation capabilities of SafeGuard Easy

What imaging products can do sector based images? Does Acronis? Also if I make a backup image off to another drive, and then hose up my laptop can I then wipe it and restore my backup image? What's the doubletalk about kernel not able to backup? Any interpreters want to try this one?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could try to do it from bootable CD - Windows or Linux based.
    ATI has a plugin for BartPE. You can also try the Linux dd or PartImage.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.