Acronis TrueImage 6.0 Makes 2 Images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jkitc, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkitc

jkitc Registered Member

I have been using Acronis TrueImage 6.0 for going on two years, but lately when I make an image I get two images, for example yesterday I imaged my C: drive and the result was: Back1.tib - 4,194,304 KB
    Back2.tib - 335,210 KB

When I was configuring TI to make the image I selected :"Back" as the name of the image to save, when the process was complete the result was:
    Back1.tib - 4,194,304 KB
    Back2.tib - 335,210 KB
    Why didn't I just get one image, like "Back.tib" ?

Thank you
    jkitc

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jkitc,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Apparently, you store the image onto FAT32 partition. This file system (FAT32) doesn't support files larger than 4Gb. Acronis True Image "know" that and split your image automatically according to this limitation.

If you use Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003 you may convert your FAT32 into NTFS without data loss. In order to do that please open "Start" -> "Run" and input the following command:

convert <drive letter>: /fs:ntfs

where <drive letter> is the letter for your partition where you want to store images.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jkitc

jkitc Registered Member

I am running WindowsXP, but I store my TI backup image on a USB "Western Digital" external hard drive (fat32) and I have a lot of data stored there. Is there any chance that I will lose any of my data if I convert to NTFS?

Additionally, the split images that TI now makes are they good for Restoring my C: drive or are they useless

Thank you
    jkitc

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jkitc,

You may convert your file system without any risk of loosing your data. Windows XP is able to convert FAT32 to NTFS in the way I described. Please note that after you convert the file system the image parts will not merge. If you wish you may create the image once again after you convert file system. This time you will obtain single file.

The images you have created are absolutely normal and you may restore it whenever you want.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.