Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. selvan777

selvan777 Registered Member

Re: Wish-list thread

Suggestion: The ability to select multiple files for deletion using the Ctrl or Shift keys after booting from the boot media.

I sometimes realize after booting from the boot cd that I need to make more room for the image to be created. Being that I span my images over several 700Mb pieces, it gets tedious deleting one at a time (I go back to windows).

2. selvan777

selvan777 Registered Member

Make all but the essential components optional during install.

3. FiftySomething

FiftySomething Registered Member

Setting CD burner write speed.

Setting CD burner write speed.

Unless I've missed it there doesn't seem to be a way of setting CD burner write speed.

I have an Artec CD burner with a CD-R write speed of 52X and I use Verbatim 48X CD-R's.

I normally burn CD-R's at 24X with no trouble, but when using TI8 it attempts to burn at the maximum speed it can which invariable results in a buffer underrun on one of the discs leaving me with a collection of coasters.

My CD-RW is quiet up to about 40X after which it starts to gets to get noisy.

When burning an image with TI8 it absolutely screeches which leads me to believe it's trying to burn at the maximum speed of 52X.

So a means of setting the burner write speed would be helpful.

As a work round I write the image to a second hard drive as 700MB pieces and burn the image pieces to disc using Nero Burning ROM.

Cheers Michael Yates

4. 666

666 Guest

TI doesn't need to find the paging and hibernation files in the FAT, because they are made by writing RAM to disk. Dumping empty RAM to the HD will do the trick.

I don't know if TI does it this way. If it doesn't, file exclusion might work. If it does, acronis will have to write the code, which will add a bunch of new bugs to the ones already present.

Of course, it's much easier to store non-essential data on a separate partition to keep it out of the image. Anything that makes a drive imaging program mess with the file system makes errors and dead backups more likely.

If you start TI from a batch file like this one (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43266 ), you can include deletion of temp files and browser caches and temporary parking of files and folders on a separate partition in the script to make your backups a bit smaller.

(acronis people, that's something to implement in your program!)

5. mark100net

mark100net Registered Member

Some scintilla of evidence that Acronis cares about the people who have purchased its product.

6. Kazung-Q

Kazung-Q Guest

+ the abillity to see all available images in lists (per server / per date / ...) & connect to them / restore them etc etc

7. shadow110

shadow110 Guest

Make an Image,

and save it directly to an vmware vmdk file.

8. JASAZ

JASAZ Guest

now that is a great idea. Being able to create an image of my existing disk and load that into Virtual PC.

9. BSDBOY

BSDBOY Guest

The native support for FreeBSD file system, UFS will be great since so many people are using it

10. msanto

msanto Registered Member

There ya go! I have the same nit with this program.

Helpful hint (maybe): I store my comments in a text file just like you. When creating an image, I removed all the <CR>s, making one long line that I paste into the window. Then I add the spacing back in.

That way at least I don't have to copy and paste 1 line at a time.

But it is silly that this program can't handle multi-line pastes. :mad:

11. amalcom

amalcom Registered Member

I would love to have a verify on the CD done immediately after each CD is written. Then, should it find a problem with that specific CD in the backup, it should prompt me for another CD to attempt to rewrite the information on that bad CD until it passes.

I am sick of getting through to the last CD in a set (i.e. - the 27th) on the verify only to be told that the whole set of CDs is corrupt.

This would help SO MUCH!!

Thanks,

AMalcom

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  12. icthrooyou

icthrooyou Registered Member

Scintillas.... Aren't those the little furry critters they make them fur coats out of?? :D

Sorry, just couldn't help myself

13. icthrooyou

Ok, for real. TI8 really ROCKS! Hey, with the unbelievable number of peripherals and software available out there today, my hat is OFF to the programmers who created this GREAT software that saved my BACON last week when a WinXP SP2 installation gutted my OS! And THAT was TI6!!!

TI8 has some really great features. The SZ is awesome, but needs some tweeking in the area of added functionality. (But get the remaining bugs out before adding the slick stuff!)

Wish list... Hmmmm....

Ok, better handling of the files in the SZ. It'd be nice to know how big individual files actually are to gauge how long before SZ fills up... - feature has been already requested

Ok Acronis, HERE's your "MoneyMaker"... Do this, and you'll SLAM the Backup/Imaging Market! My BIGGEST suggestion is for TI to become a HYBRID program.

For example, it would be nice if TI could function in dual capacity as both a regular file-system-recognizing backup program as WELL as do what it already does so nicely. If TI could do traditional types of backups and perhaps store them in SZ, then perhaps you could do your regular FULL IMAGE creations (archiving them or deleting them selectively) and ALSO do backups (either incrementals OR differentials) with pretty much the same abilities (network drives, CD's DVD's, other hardware support, etc) intact, THEN it would be THE KILLER ARCHIVING SOLUTION!! Once you could do THAT, then just get the bugs out, keep 'em out, and keep it updated to all the new hardware that comes along. THAT's not so difficult is it?? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  14. Redfire_05Gt

Redfire_05Gt Registered Member

I created a Windows scheduled task that runs "TrueImage.exe" a couple minutes before the TI scheduled task. That serves to wake up my machine so the scheduled task can run. The machine goes back to sleep afterwards. When I wake up my machine the next day, TI is there and and I can see the status of the task that ran on the status bar at the bottom of the window.

But it would be nice if TI could do this "wake up the machine" on it's own.

15. icthrooyou

How about a KNOWN ISSUES or BUGS thread in this forum or somewhere on the Aronis website... If it already exists, please post with info! Thanks!

16. webafrica

webafrica Registered Member

The Big 3 for us

1. feature has been already requested.
    2. feature has been already requested.
    3. Live disk cloning (rebooting is unneccessary IMHO)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  17. SirDracula

SirDracula Registered Member

Efficient network protocols support needed (e.g. FTP)

Backing up over the network is a slow and painful process because ATI uses SMB which is very heavy on the network and heavy on the CPU for the server that stores the backups.

I would like to see support for FTP for example, it should not be very hard to add an FTP client to the boot CD, FTP is very very efficient.

Or if Acronis wants to, they can invent their own efficient protocol and run a little server on the machine receiving the backups.

But using SMB simply sucks (not their fault, M$oft's fault, but they don't have to use it when there are fast and efficient alternatives!)

18. aHa

aHa Registered Member

My greatest wish:
    - Direct partitionion cloning (without complete disk re-partitioning)
    e.g. to make a bootable copy of the current OS to an other partition without the detour of creating an image file.

(This feature was always supported by the competitors DriveImage and Ghost)

19. Dichotomy

Dichotomy Registered Member

One feature I sorely miss from Norton Ghost 2002/2003 is the ability to view and revise the comments associated with an image without the program running. With Ghost installed, all I had to do in Windows was right-click on a .GHO file, choose properties, and the comments tab would be there. It was then quite simple to decide what image to use for a given task.

Please provide this ability to view comments for an image. The ability to edit/change those comments would be quite nice as well.

Thank you!

20. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Registered Member

One thing I would like to see would be updaters to go from previous build to next without having to download the full 22 meg program. I can't get DSL in my area so I'm still on dialup, 22 MB is an all evening affair for me :(

21. Sam Ceccola

Sam Ceccola Registered Member

Rather than do Incremental Backups, I would like to see "Real-Time" backups anytime anything changes on the system. There, of course, could be an exception list.
    Thanks for this List,
    Sam

22. webafrica

webafrica Registered Member

Or even, say 15 mintue intervals, if a server screwed up you could restore from 15/30 minutes back. Live mirroring (IE RAID) does not protect against data corruption/hackers/deletion etc

23. dustyroad

dustyroad Registered Member

- feature has been already requested.

- feature was implemented.

- Add choice to verify last backup and increments in Secure Zone. (The previous backups have already been verified, many times).

Thanks for a great product.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  24. williamgjames

williamgjames Registered Member

I would like to see the following new capabilities:

1. Ability to create a new folder on backup media using CD. Now I boot into Windows, create a backup folder, then reboot from CD and create images.- feature was implemented

2. Always backup MBR and partition table regardless of whether the entire disk or selected partitions are imaged.

3. Ability to restore MBR or partition table above without having to restore a partition. Sometimes a power user will overwrite MBR or partition table and need to restore one or both but the data in the partitions are fine. I now use linux dd to backup/restore MBR and sfdisk to backup/restore partition table but it would be nice to accomplish the same from the True Image CD.

4. Why not create a combo product that will combine a partition tool (partition create, format, resize, etc.) with True Image and have both on CD. This would be a killer product. Especially if it also does 3 above. - feature has been already requested

Acronis, thanks for your consideration. True Image is a great product. Here's wishing it will get even better!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  25. Vierkant II

Vierkant II Guest

Hallo,

Gibt es eigentlich auch ein deutsches TI-Forum ?

Gruß
    V.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.