Acronis true image set up..Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hotcarver1, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotcarver1

hotcarver1 Registered Member

Hello friends for one more time.I m using acronis ti10 for about 3

years.Yesterday i bought the new ti 11.So my question is am i m doing a right

setup??

My previous set up was: Format my hard drive,install the o/s(windows

vista),install the drivers and the programs i use.At last i install the acronis ti.

I then create an acronis secure zone in my local drive,about 20gb.After that i

perform a full computer back up on secure zone.

Then i put all my documents,music,photos on my computer and perform a

document backup but on an external hard drive.

So i have computer backup on secure zone,and a data back up on an

external.

Every time the system becomes slow i run a restore from my secure zone and

i have a fresh o/s.Afterwards i restore my documents too from the external.

So:
    1.is it a right procedure?

2.can i create the backup either o/s or ,my documents on many dvds??

3.if if its possible to create backup on multiple dvds should would i ll be able

to create incremental backups?

4.if i restore as i told my computer would i ll be able to use my previous

document backups?are them recognized from timage??

Thats all!!!Sorry for the long questions,but i know that this is the only place i

will find the right answers..

Thanks again,and i ll be glad to hear from you.ps.:Forgive my poor english..

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Have you read all the problems users are having with Ver 11?
    Is there a reason you want to use Ver 11?
    Is ver 10 working good for you?

3. hotcarver1

any help?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Not to be a smartass but really, if you're installing version 11, you're not doing it right. Version 11 has so many probs, including critical failures; it's a very risky program on which to rely. Version 10 is pretty solid although it doesn't work on some of the newer hardware and has a few bugs of it own.

5. hotcarver1

Ok,thanks for your interest.Even if i install timage 10,am i doing the right procedure?

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally this is what i usually do.

1. Install OS
    2. Make an image
    3. Update OS
    4. Make an image
    5. Install drivers
    6. Make an image
    7. Install apps
    8. Make an image
    9. Tweak system, defrag
    10. Make an image

This way if anything goes wrong during the install process i can simply restore the most recent image. I create my images on an external usb hard drive plus i also create a secondary image on a flashdrive as a precaution.

You can backup onto dvd but i believe its very tedious if you span multiple dvd's as you do have to frequently change the dvd's. You can do incremental updates but you still have the same problem.

You can mount your previous backups to explore and extract files out of them if needed.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Farmerlee has the right idea. I personally only make full and complete backups. I do not mess with incrementals. Whenever, I need to restore my C drive, I do a complete restore.

The size of the secure zone should be about 3 times your used space. I personally do not use the Secure Zone but others find it helpful. Check out the "Useful Forum Threads" listed below and read the thread on "Secure Zone & Startup manager". Remember, if your system drive fails, and your only full system backup is in the Secure Zone, it may not be reachable. You need a full backup stored in multiple locations.

Backups to DVD does not work for everyone. You might investigate the 2 step method discussed previously. A restore from DVD should have all DVD's files copied to another hard drive and validated before being used to restore a drive.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Farmerlee's startegy is pretty good. Keepin maind that, unless you do some testing after each step and importantly after each program is installed, unless you do that you might not know the culprit if one ofthem makes things wonky. For example, you could make another full backup at eat each step as Farmerlee suggests and after each program and when you get to the end, you find that some things keep generating errors -- it it the AV, the OS, the MS Word install that caused the prob? Do you restore each image one by one working backuward until you get a wonkless system? It can get tiresome ;-)

So try to do a little testing after each install.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  9. hotcarver1

Thanks for your suggestions.Is it ok to keep the full computer backup in the

secure zone located in the internal hard drive and the documents backup in a

usb external?i have only one internal drive(laptop)

I also tried to create a bootable usb hard disk and didnt work.I created the media(usb flash drive formated in fat32),made a backup of the flash drive

but when i m trying to restore it on the usb hard drive i cannot see this usb hard drive as a restore target.Why that

happens?

Thanks again..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

It'd be safer to keep both images on the external hard drive. You could even create the secure zone on the external drive.

Creating a bootable usb hdd is pretty easy. All i did was create a bootable usb flashdrive, i then made an image of the flashdrive, then i restored that image to my usb hard drive. It works great!

11. hotcarver1

Farmerlee i did as:Created a bootable flash drive.Made a backup of this in my at

my usb hard drive.Then when im trying to restore it on the usb hard drive i

cannot see this drive.I even tried to backup it on another usb hd and the

restore to the usb hard drive i want but again the same problem.Why i cannot

see this hard disk as a restore target only as a backup target?

12. GroverH

Acronis discourages having a secure zone on an external drive. They indicate your computer may not boot. Plus if the secure zone goes haywire, you lose your backups.

13. GroverH

There is NO problem keeping a full backup in a secure zone located on your only only laptop drive. You can use this backup to restore your system should a virus occur. BUT, there is a really big problem if your only full (all partitions) backup is stored within the Secure zone or Drive C. If your laptop drive has a hardware problem, all your backups located in the Secure zone or Drive C will be gone bye bye. You need to have additional full backups stored on your external drive and even additionally stored on DVD. You need multiple sources for your backups so if one source is not available, you have alternate sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.