Acronis True Image Server dead slow on SCSI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cut_throat, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cut_throat

cut_throat Guest

Hi folks,
    I'm really stuck. I had no problems imaging and restoring on IDE drives with ATIS. But it was a nightmare when I attempted to do the same on SCSI drives. Doing live backups from within windows is not a problem here, imaging a 2 gb ntfs partition(used space only) just takes about 5 mins. But when I boot from the Acronis Bootable CD it takes more than 30 mins for the same. No errors or warning but the process is way too slow both imaging and restoring. And BTW, I imaged/restored to and from a seprate hdd in the system. Acronis bootable CD uses custom linux kernel, maybe its having difficulty to write to ntfs partitions. Again this theory could be wrong because restoring is slow as well, since restoring is sector by sector copying regardless of the file system. I've got two identical 73 gigs Ultra SCSI 320 hddsLSI Logic. Both are partitioned and formatted ntfs. But everything is fine while in windows. An I'm using the latest build 611.

Also I've got a few suggestions to the Acronis developers.
    Just like you can have Acronis Secure Zone, without installing the recovery manager, choice must be given to install Acronis Startup Recovery Manager without secure zone. I mean, installing securezone is forced(mandatory) with startup recovery manager. This behavior should be changed so that it allows to install startup recovery manager only as well. I guess you know the flexibility and benefit it could provide.

Another one,
    While performing incremental backups, the program doesn't check if the master image is from the same original partition/disk and it moves forward even without a warning. It might be very difficult to implement but the current behavior is annoying and risky too. Atleast it should give warning on obvious conditions like when the file systems on the master image and source disk/partition doesn't match. I guess signature tagging both the drive/partition and the image from which it is created would make it possible to accomplish this.

Last one,
    Everything is simple wizard driven and automated, I guess thats what it makes this program unique and easy to use. But there should be some flexibility when it comes to preparing bootable CDs so that we can add ethernet, storage and other necessary drivers manually. Though the developers have done a very good job including the support for a wide range of componenents in the bootable CD, the current behavior sounds pretty over confident. You cannot be sure that you've included the support for all the componenets that exists. This just doesn't sound good. I guess the problem here is again linux, ease of use at the cost of flexibility.

I was just about to recommend TIS to a organisation but I'm holding it since all five of their servers are equipped with SCSI on LSI Logic.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image Server (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimageserver/)!

Actually, the cause of the slow performance when using the product from bootable media is likely indeed in the linux - but it's not about the lack of flexibility, just it is still under development and it gets better with every new build.

Aslo I'd like to thank you for your attention to this problem and for your input. We will consider it and try to do our best to improve the product further.

Thank you.

--
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Support Department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... Compute With Confidence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.