Acronis True Image Server 9.1 Restore questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jumpolgist, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpolgist

Jumpolgist Registered Member

Hi,

Here's the situation,

We have a SBS 2003 server which is rather old and decrepit so we would like to use Acronis True Image Server 9.1 to transfer it to a new Dell PowerEdge 1950. Would I be correct in assuming that the Acronis Universal Restore feature is required to transfer to such different hardware as others have said that it is not required.

If I use the True Image bootable rescue CD I can browse the external hard drive containing the images but do not have the option to restore to the RAID 5 array in the PE 1950.

Would it be worth installing Windows and Acronis on the new Dell and then trying to restore the backup from within Windows. (common sense says to me that you can't restore to the same hard drive you're running Windows off)

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for all replies.

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

1. You need to buy Server 9.1 With the additional universal restore module.
    2. You need to create an image of your old SBS with the bootcd of within windows. Chose yourself.
    3. Boot from bootcd on new server and restore Image with universal restore and Enforce you Masstorage driver(raid driver) for the new server.

ENJOY!@!

3. Jumpolgist

Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy.

So if I purchase the universal restore, Acronis will be able to pick up the RAID 5 array in the new Dell. Is this what you're saying?

At the minute I do not have the option to restore the image to a drive, does the universal restore option deal with adding drivers for the new hardware to the image. Once I've done this will I still not have the problem of being unable to restore to the RAID 5 array as the bootcd cannot detect it.

4. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

If you are saying that when you boot from TrueImage and it wont see any partitions on your new server. Then Acronis needs to add the drivers to there bootcd.

But If you do not have any partitions on your new server. TrueImage wont see any because it looks for partitions when you use the backup functions.

You can however restore to an empty drive. But when you click restore and it tells you it cannot find any drives then Acronis needs to add the drivers and come with a new build.

Universal Restore is only to make it possible to transfer an image from system a to system b with dissimilar hardware.

5. Jumpolgist

If you are saying that when you boot from TrueImage and it wont see any partitions on your new server. Then Acronis needs to add the drivers to there bootcd.

Yep Jeremy, the situation is as quoted above. The Dell PowerEdge 1950 has 3 Serially Attached SCSI hard drives in a RAID 5 array.

The Aconis boot CD is a Linux CD isn't it - we had problems before with Linux and SAS drives? Is there a list of hardware that is supported by the boot CD somewhere or anyone I can contact to see if this hardware is supported?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jumpolgist,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, as jeremyotten said Acronis Universal Restore allows you to restore to different hardware. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

As to the issue with you RAID array, first of all, please make sure that Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows. You can find the build number in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 4 digit number). To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report, Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Also provide the exact vendor and model of the RAID controller you use. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.