Acronis True Image Server 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Aqua, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aqua

Aqua Guest

Have just started using this software and have encountered a problem during a test restore of an image. This is luckily not currently a live server by the way.

Details as follows:

Installed SBS 2000 on a 36GB SCSI hard drive with three NTFS partitions.
    Installed a separate 9GB SCSI drive for image backups and ran True Image to make a full backup image.
    Removed original 36GB SCSI drive and installed a completely blank 36GB drive and tried restore which successfully completed (booting from the boot CD). However on reboot the "NTLDR is missing" message appeared.

I noted that during the restore all the partition drive letters had been changed and wonder whether this is part of the problem.

Grateful for any help on how to enable a backup that when restored to a disk retains its original status.

Thank you

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Backup the full disk not only the partition, or you'll have to run windows console afterwards to fix MBR and check boot.ini, as MBR is not included with a single partition backup.

Also check that you restore to the "same" partition (for example, old HP/Compaq servers have on the first disk a first partition, the "C:" is then actually your second partition, resulting in another boot.ini config - if you restore to a truly empty disk, the NT bootstrap doesn't find your windows install, unless you alter boot.ini)

OK it's always a bit of work, but when doing emergency disaster recoveries it's always been like that. You're working on the hardware level with your disks, so a bit of windows trickery is needed.

In fact, Acronis might hire a few enlightened people on this subject and make a kind of "walkthrough" to add to the manual.

3. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

As for partition "lettering", this is normal. You're working in another OS (the boot disk environment) and most of the time this messes up the drive lettering (for example, boot the cd with external usb enabled, I get my USB disks before my actual internal disks. If I turn on the usb disk while booting acronis cd, it gets a letter behind the fixed disks)

a good way not to get messed up is to name your drives in windows, BOOT, SYSTEM, DATA, BACKUP, etc)

It's a lot easier not to make mistakes that way.

BTW, all these problems, ntldr, drives getting shuffled, it's not exclusive to acronis. The same thing happens with V2I protector (now ghost9/livestate recovery)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.