Acronis True Image Home 2009 vs Paragon Home 2009 Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by 62cwil, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I'm planning on using a Dell Latitude E6500 with an SSD as the system
    disk (the OS wil be win xp pro). I want to make and restore images to a
    Seagate Freeagent Xtreme external HDD via an eSATA connection.

Acronis has already indicated that their product will not support SSD's.
    Does anyone know if Paragon or Macrium can perform the above?

Thanks,
    Harvey

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Paragon Home 2009 Backup has not adaptive restore
    yes i know it a great program
    but i did see lots of update (build to download) , so i though it's buggy
    in the updates i read many bugs fixed , this make me thinking is not so trusty

by the way is there a direct link to update the program?

3. Noxcho

Noxcho Infrequent Poster

Hi Mantra, I do use the following link for my product files download and update: http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/templ/16.jsp?catId=33188
    BTW, just noticed that Acronis wants me to pay 5$ for future download of my purchased product!?!?!?!!?!? :eek: How that?
    Paragon promised that I could download my product absolutely for no price once purchased.
    As for buggy, there is always chance to improve the program. Agree that there is never any ideal software.

4. Noxcho

Noxcho Infrequent Poster

My ASUS Eee-PC is supported by Drive Backup 9.0 (think it is part of Hard Disk Manager 2009 so should work in it too). The only problem I met is Recovery CD for Drive Backup 9.0, the resolution was inappropriate so had to report this issue. Later got the corrected version of Recovery CD for my ASUS netbook from support.

5. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Acronis home 2009 does not, but the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation I use has this Universal Restore option to restore an image to dissimilar hardware. Matter of fact, I used it this morning to reload my image after converting my drives to RAID. It even allowed me to add the SATA/RAID drivers using a USB key/stick after booting to the restore cd. Great program. Hands down the best. :thumb:

6. lime

lime Registered Member

This might not be appropriate, but the full Acronis True Image 10 Personal is available for download for a limited time from Computeractives website. You have to register at acronis to get a serial no.

I am going to try it. I already have a free full copy of the excellent Paragon. Perhaps I'd better do a backup after reading these comments, just in case!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I suspect Just In Case is always a good idea.

8. Noxcho

Noxcho Infrequent Poster

Yeah, taking backup with Paragon before TI installation is "MUST DO" step.
    Recently I had problems with server 2003 where Microsoft VSS was not working properly. Guess what was the cause of the problem - Acronis VSS. I have removed Acronis several months ago from server replacing it by Drive Backup 9.0 but was not aware of the fact that Acronis service could remain on it. Whole night of researches and found the cause!!!! Addressed the problem to Acronis support and have never got answer. If support from Acronis is rasing this forum I could ask again - why the hell is the VSS service from Acronis left on my company server?

9. lime

lime Registered Member

Scrub that, I downloaded from Computeractives website (I bought their magazine so followed what it said there) and followed all instructions. Got an email from the support team to click on alink to get serial no, and like other people have got a page which says "this action was finished we are sorry". According to Computeractive it should be available till the 25th February.

I have emailed Acronis, and received no reply. So will stick to Paragon. If they change the expiry date from when they will issue serial nos, after offering a product until 25th February, what would their customer support be like. I will stay clear. I have an old registered copy of True Image which I never liked and don't use now anyway.

10. lime

lime Registered Member

Been posting on Computeractives forum. Its been sorted out and the links back up until Monday. The key was sent immediately, so will give another chance (it is free!), even though Acronis still haven't replied.

11. Noxcho

Noxcho Infrequent Poster

I wonder, where do they forward the customer requests so they are never get answered? Is there a spam folder in Acronis support inbox where all messages from customers are erased?
    I have never got any answer to almost 10 requests on different products.
    Is there anyone who got feedback to online support ticket? Just curious.

12. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I have speculated that literally no human beings work at Acronis. There is one guy who bought the company back in 1997, and he just shows up to make sure the advertizing bumps up the Rev. level every year and people keep buying it so he keeps updating the Rev. level. :D

It's a joke....but then I gain, I think maybe it is possible. :D

13. RoninV

RoninV Registered Member

My question relates to Eliot's comment (February 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM), which appears to be closer to my current issue, regarding dissimilar hardware and RAID configurations.

We are looking to convert a RAID 1 to a RAID 5, by adding additional two hard drives (resulting in four hard drives). My question is whether such a conversion is considered "dissimilar hardware" requiring the Universal Add-in for Acronis True Image Echo Server? I'm getting conflicting responses for Acronis' representatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.