Acronis True Image Hard Drive Migration ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nczach, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nczach

nczach Registered Member

Alright, I've been searching various threads about how to migrate my 80gig HD to my 1.5TB HD, without shrinking the 1.5TB to the previous HD's size.

I've now tried cloning to no avail, as cited is some of the threads I have tried going the Manual route, but get an error message that the new (1.5TB) hard drive is "too small??".

Then I tried backing up my current HD, using an external HD, and bootable media USB/CD, but upon successful completion of the restore process (restoring the 80gig information onto the 1.5TB HD), my 1.5 TB drive was only reading as an 80gig.

Thoughts anyone? Po_O

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you still have the 1.5 showing as 80g, then I think the quickest solution is to use the Secure Zone trick. The instruction for doing so for versions before 2009 are shown here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1044452&postcount=2

If you are using ver 2009, then the method for re-allocating the extra space is different, but I don't have details for it.

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Your best bet, is to partition your 1.5 tb hard drive to how you want it to look. Example 2 partitions: partition 1 = 80gb, partition 2 = 1.4tb.

Next just do an image backup of your 80gb hard drive, restore this backup onto your new drive 80gb partition. This will leave your 1.4tb partition alone.

If you just have one large partition on your 1.5tb drive, you can restore that 80gb image backup onto that partition. It will expand to take up the entire 1.5tb partition.

That's how I always restore my drives, I never clone. Cloning is very limiting especially when you have multiple partitions.

4. nczach

nczach Registered Member

I have the True Image Home 2009 version, so unfortunately it's slightly different for me, just haven't figured out how.

Secondly, I just tried to create a 80gig partition, and then the 1.4TB partition, then image my 80gig onto the newly created partition, but when I get to the part in the restore where I choose the destination, the 1.5TB drive reads in full and not into the newly created partitions?

Thanks, lemme know if you have any more suggestions? :doubt:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nczach,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please plug the new hard drive to the system, download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report and attach to your post.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.