Acronis true image erased my partition!!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mlkwestcoast, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlkwestcoast

mlkwestcoast Registered Member

hello
    i have installed acronis true image home 10 on my laptop since 3 months
    i have a 120 gb hard drive that i partitioned to c: 50 giga (contening my windows xp + all my programs) and d: partion(logical) contening my personnal data.
    Then i created a bootable image of my c: partion that fit on a dvd, to restore my win xp +all my progs in minutes as it is said and from dos, this is what i did when my windows became very bad, acronis restored perfectly windows + everything but also did a disaster, it erased my d: partion that contains all my data(about 50 gigas) and created i big c: partion (i was about to get crazy, hopefully i restored my entire data with a fantastic software)
    what i want to know now is how to make acronis restoring my c: partion again (for a another time) without touching my d: partition and this from dos. i know i can back up the 2 partions but it will be a waste of dvd (my d: contains 50 gigs)
    and thanks in advance.
    o_O

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

My Hard drive is partitioned like yours but I have never lost my Data partition
    when restoring Windows. I suggest you read the manual carefully and make sure you not what you are doing, you may not have had all the settings or options correct for the job.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You have a backup of Drive C. Do you also have a TI backup of the other partitions?

Be sure and assign meaningful names to your drives so they can be identified by their names--not their drive letters.

It sounds like you when you created your image backup, you ticked only the C partition; but when you performed the restore, you ticked the "disk" option so TI filled the disk with your backup. TI followed your instructions.

When restoring individual partitions, you must tick only the partition being restored.

Having a full disk backup of all your partitions is always a prudent option. Having a disk backup provides more options of easier recovery (or expansion) and having a full disk backup still allows you to restore only individual partitions whenever you desire.

Also, when restoring your system partition, it is always better to use the TI Rescue CD for that purpose. Drive letters may differ and that's why you need identifying names to avoid a mistake made by choosing the wrong drive letter.

4. Peter Mac

Peter Mac Registered Member

ATI corrupted my partition table in my MBR. Now I can't even see the hard drive.
    I'm not sure what to do at this point except throw Acronis True image in the garbage can.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

mlkwestcoast, could you please check if you've used Acronis Snap Restore feature (the feature that allowing you to use the OS while the image is still restoring)?

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

6. mlkwestcoast

thank all for your help, to give more details here is what i did:
    as i said in my post i installed acronis, then i created an image of c: (i have done everything correctly) wich is bootable and fit in a dvd, so when my nice windows become bad, instead of formatting, and installing again i use that dvd but from dos and here is the beggining of probs:
    acronis doesn't give me a lot of options and when i want to restore he tell me that all other partitions will be erased and it will create i unique c:
    so how can i change that?

7. mlkwestcoast

no i didn't used Acronis Snap Restore feature , i restored from dos so i believe that this feature doesn't exists in dos

8. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

You can download the Acronis Diskdirector Suite and use the "Recover partition" function to get your disk accessible again - I believe it works with the demo version. I ran into the same "feature" and was cursing this piece of junk as well...

Tom

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mlkwestcoast,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe your actions step by step in details? Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.