Acronis True Image 9 and FC4 Raid software

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cicognani, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cicognani

cicognani Registered Member

Greetings,

I'm evaluating Acronis True Image 9.0 for my Fedora Core 4 Linux system. I have been a long time user of an older free version of Acronis True Image but I cannot use it with the raid partitions found in FC4and so I'm evaluating True Image 9.0.

This is my configuration (Raid 1 software with two HDs)
    MDA0 (hda0+hdb0)
    /boot - type primary active
    MDA1 (hda1+hdb1)
    / - type primary
    MDA2 (hda2+hdb2)
    swap - type primary

I have taken one of these two HD and I have done an Image in a Windows environment using an USB 2.0 Box and I create 1 image file called "all.tib."

I have ran into a problem when restoring from image file.
    I then take a clean drive and restore "all.tib" image with all the partitions at the same time.

I then reboot with the new drive only and get the error message: "No Operating System"

The drive seems to be copied fine (I have seen with a Knoppix that all datas are into), but it seems that Grub has been lost during backup operation.

Please, can you help me to solve, so I can buy the license for Version 9.0 :D ?

Thank you very much
    Best regards
    Vittorio Cicognani

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Vittorio,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Sometimes when restoring a single partition or resizing the partition being restored it may be necessary to recover boot manager. Please do the following in order to reactivate Grub:

# Automatic re-activation.

* Start the computer from the Linux installation CD
    * Enter rescue mode
    * Issue the following commands:
    #mkdir /mnt/tmp
    #mount /dev/hdXY /mnt/tmp (/dev/hdXY is the root partition)
    #chroot /mnt/tmp
    #/sbin/grub-install /device_name (/device_name is hd: hda, hdal, hda2, sdal, sda2 and etc)

# Manual re-activation

* Boot from the Linux distribution CD
    * Enter rescue mode
    * Issue the following commands:
    #mkdir /mnt/tmp
    #mount /dev/hdXY /mnt/tmp (/dev/hdXY is the root partition)
    #chroot /mnt/tmp
    #/sbin/grub
    #root (hd0,4) (4 is the root partition in this example)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5" exists... yes
    Running "embed /boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 18 sectors are embedded
    succeeded
    Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+18 p (hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage2
    /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
    Done.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. cicognani

cicognani Registered Member

Hello.

First of all, thank you for your help.

This is my configuration (Raid 1 software with two HDs)
    MDA0 (hda0+hdb0)
    /boot - type primary active
    MDA1 (hda1+hdb1)
    / - type primary
    MDA2 (hda2+hdb2)
    swap - type primary

I have taken one of these two HD (the slave) and I have done an Image in a Windows environment using an USB 2.0 Box and I create 1 image file called "all.tib."

To solve the GRUB problem, I have had to set the disk to image in USB Box as master!
    But now a new one appears!

I restored the image in a Maxtor 80 GB HD disk (obviously setted as slave) equal to that from which I have taken the Image (so there shouldn't be any problem about capacity, the vendor and the model are the same!!)

After the GRUB stage, the system begins to start but in some seconds I receive a Kernel panic error and FC4 hangs.

The error is about "superblock" on dev/md0, dev/md1 and dev/md2 that cannot be mounted.

Please, notes that this disk is the only presents in the PC (I disconnected the other raid disk - master - from the IDE connector)
    The slave disk from which I have taken the image in this situation (one disk only) starts fine

It seems the image has some problem with my raid software configuration.

What can I do?

Thank you
    Vittorio Cicognani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.