Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Question.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RR99i, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RR99i

RR99i Registered Member

:) Hi everyone,

I'm very new to backup programs. I have a HP PC. So when something major goes wrong with my PC, I do a HP System Recovery. But I'm thinking about checking out Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. My question is, does Acronis True Image 9.0 Home have a system restore, like XP System Restore?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Not in the sense that it tracks system changes and is able to revert to a saved configuration.

However, you have a complete system to restore by virtue of making an image at the appropriate time. If I am going to try new software or install a program I often will make a backup of my C drive such that I can go completely back to the old configuration if desired. Note that TI's backup definitely gets you back to exactly where you were if you restore an image. System Restore may or may not.

The only disadvantage with making an image is that it usually takes longer than making a restore point.

So TI can provide a restore point by virtue of making an image of your drive and at the same time give you a full backup of your system by the same image you made. System Restore makes a restore point but doesn't give you a full backup of your disk.

3. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

4. wsellars

wsellars Registered Member

I am actually testing the same thing right now with my HP Pav zd7000A laptop. Everytime it goes back to the shop it gets formated and I spend three days getting all my software back on it.

To answer your question you can do incremental and differential backups but it is not exactly the same thing as a restore point.

I am goiing to do a full backup of my initial install and a full backup after my major installs (MS Office, Visual Studio, etc) then incrementals or differentials after that with an occasional full backup, that way when my notebook comes back from the shop my understanding is I should be able to insert a full back into the CD/DVD drive and boot from it and cover my HD from that then add the incrementals/differential (that came after that full backup) on top of that. Should be much faster that reinstalling software for three or four days.

I still need to do a little testing and research but that is plan any way.

I hope this information gave you some ideas on how to handle your situation.

-W

5. RR99i

RR99i Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. wsellars, your information was great! It's not you, I just have trouble understanding. I guess I'm slow minded. But I'll be sure to check out this software. I hope it's pretty easy to use. :D

6. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

the software is VERY good, it helps when you understand what is going on, NOT long ago i did not, this site and other FORUMS help greatly.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

There is no need to do it twice.

If you want to restore to a point in time when you did an incremental backup, you just select any one file from the full+incremental series and on the next screen you will be presented with a string of dates when each backup of this series was created (the date of the full and the dates of any of the incrementals). You select the date you want to restore to and TI will include all the previous incrementals as well as the starting full in the restoration process.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RR99i,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

In addition to the replies posted above, we recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in order to be completely sure that the software works fine on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page helpful.

Please also take a look at Acronis Public Knowledge Base.

If you are satisfied with the work of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home free trial version, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

System Restore only deals with certain system files.

ATI is aprogram that lets you backup files or, mor importantly, an entire partition or hard disk.

When you use System Restore, it returns certain system files to a prior state.

When you use ATI, you can recover particular files or an entire partition or hard disk, which includes all data, programs, system files, the whole 9 yards.

sh

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello RR99i,

If you want a more compact, printable, version of the TI 9.0 tutorial that Mac25 provided a link for in Post #3 above then download either of these documents that I've just uploaded again to rapidshare.de:

PDF document (4.8 MB) - http://rapidshare.de/files/32268004/TI_9.0_Tutorial.pdf

Microsoft Word 2000 document (8.8 MB) - http://rapidshare.de/files/32267343/TI_9.0_Tutorial.zip

To initiate the actually download of either file, click the "Free" button, wait for the Download-Ticket timer to count down, select the least busy download site from the three listed, enter the displayed alpha/numeric code into the box provided and then click the "Download from site" button.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.