Acronis True Image 8.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Railroader, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Railroader

Railroader Registered Member

I am interested in this program, does it work over a network, I have two computers on a lan network and want be able to backup the numer two computer using my main computer for the storage of the image. Thanks

2. dld

dld Registered Member

You need to have ATI installed on the computer you are imaging.
    You can store the image on a remote computer.
    You cannot restore an image to a computer from a remote computer even though ATI may be installed on both computers.
    Finally you need only one license to install ATI on two personal computers provided ATI is not being used simultaneously on both computers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  3. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Really?? I just tried it this weekend and it worked (TI 8 build 826).

I can restore an image to my local computer over the network either using the restore CD, windows GUI, or reboot to TI on my local computer (depending if I include system partition) to access an image that was created to a remote computer. Am I just talking semantics?

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I'll try to be more precise in what I am saying. Given ATI installed on computers A and B. Using computer A, I create an image of computer A and store it on computer A. I then use ATI on computer B and try to restore the image of computer A on computer A. I have not found a way of doing this. If anyone knows of a way of doing it, this would be great. It would mean that in case of a disaster on computer A, one could use ATI on computer B to restore an image of computer A stored on computer A.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image does allow to store the image to the network shared drive. Also you will be able to restore the image that is stored on the shared drive to the local computer. According to End-User License Agreement, you are allowed to install a single copy of Acronis True Image not more than on a single computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Dld, AFAIK this is not possible. You are looking for a remote restore mechanism, I guess.

7. dld

dld Registered Member

Reading what is said here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=278263&postcount=2

I can interpret that to mean that I can install ATI on my desktop and my laptop using a single license, provided I don't use both at the same time. Correct me if I am wrong. Furthermore, on July 11, 2004, I sent an email to Acronis asking if I could legally install ATI on my two computers with a single license. I am certain the answer I received was that I could do this. It is difficult to keep all emails sent and received over a year. I do have a copy of the email I sent, but have lost the email I received from Acronis.

8. Railroader

How come the software is not capable of backing up network drives, using a small home network, this networking thing is becoming quite poplar given the networking hardware has gotten quite reasonable in price. My reason for doing this is because my wife's computer does not have enough free space for the image file. This business of needing a copy of software on every home computer that is not being used for conducting business is nuts, I have three computers on my network,none are used for business, no way in hell am I going to buy a copy for each one, I am retired, and on social security, I can't afford to do that. This intellectual property rights stuff has gotten out of hand, just plain greediness. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for Caring.

9. dld

dld Registered Member

AYE AYE

10. Railroader

Yeah, I know whats next, if he is so poor, how can he afford three computers, answer, they were given to me.

11. dld

dld Registered Member

Acronis can very well set their own licensing rules and regulations, although to me their policy seemed to have changed between Oct, 2004 and today.

Oct. 18 2004:Our End-User License Agreement implies that if you purchased only one copy of Acronis True Image then you can simultaneously use it only on one computer.

Today:According to End-User License Agreement, you are allowed to install a single copy of Acronis True Image not more than on a single computer.

I think they should adopt the licensing regulation given by MaceCraft for their product RegSupreme:

Personal use - Personal, non-commercial usage by the owner of the license (and the members of the license owner's family). Using a personal license in any kind of office (except a home office) is not allowed. A single personal license can be used with up to five personal computers at your home if the computers are mainly used only by you or the members of your family.

The above taken from here:

http://www.macecraft.com/licensing/

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Acronis End-User License Agreement implies that the one who purchased a single license for Acronis True Image is allowed to install and use the software not more than on a single computer. This also includes the usage of Acronis Bootable CD since it is the part of the software. Storing created images on network shared drive doesn't oblige the customer to purchase additional licenses.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.