Acronis True Image 8.0 will not restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by drpenl, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drpenl

drpenl Registered Member

I have tried to restore my system 3 times during the past 12 months and I have never been successfull. I have used Acronis True Image 8.0 and 9.0. Neither one will restore my system.

Each time I created the disk image, I also verified my backup was correct. That way I knew the backup was correct. My problem has to do with the restore procedures.

When I attempt to do a restore, Acronis True Image wipes out my old disk image and then runs for about 15 seconds and then hangs my computer and just stops dead in its tracks. During the 15 seconds, I see the disk activity light is blinking, then it just stops.

I have 2 DVD burners in my system and two SATA drives and a 3.2 Pentium 4 with 2Gb of memory. I thought this might be a problem, so I disconnected one DVD burner and one drive. Still no luck. Like I said, this is the third time I have been unable to restore my system, and this is the last time.

I have waited for updates after updates and the software still does not work on my PC. This was your last chance, I am going elsewhere for a solution.

I was a computer operator for two years, a programmer for 12 years and a systems analyst for 17 years. I also build my own PC's, so I am fairly proficient with computers. If I can't get it to work, how in the world is the average user suppose to use this software?

I am very dissappointed in Acronis True Image.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I take it then that you do not want any suggestions for overcoming the Restore problem?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drpenl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether you restore your image within Windows or in rescue mode?

Please tell us where the image is saved to.

Please also describe your actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

We will do our best in order to resolve the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. drpenl

drpenl Registered Member

Thanks for the inquiry, but I have wasted too much time on this software.

I complained about this problem over a year ago, and the problem was never fixed in version 8 or 9. Building an image backup and restoring that image to a freshly formatted hard disk should be an easy and straight forward process. With your software you are flying blind and are never told what is going on. You let the software set there for 45 minutes thinking it is working and then after another 45 minutes you come back and the screen is the same and your PC will not respond. That tells me the system is hung. This happened time and time again on over 12 different test.

Sorry, but I will not waste anymore time. I put my years in testing software, I'll let someone else do now. I am retired and I don't need these kinds of problems.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drpenl,

We are really sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software.

Could you please clarify whether you reported this problem on forum or contacted us via e-mail?

In case you used e-mail, please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from Acronis Support Team. We will review the correspondence and see what more can be done regarding this issue.

If you did not receive a reply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address. We will find out the reason why your request was not answered.

Please also let us know if you tried booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. drpenl

drpenl Registered Member

You really don't understand!

I am drowning 30 feet off shore, and you are throwing me a 20 foot rope.

When you suggest "acpi=off noapic parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post", you are forgetting that I have lost my system and I am attempting to restore a failed computer. I cannot access email, I cannot access the internet.

All I have is my Acronis Boot CD. If help is to be provided, that is where it should be found. I have a downloaded version of Acronis True Image software, so I don't even have a manual.

My system will not boot, I have lost my email, I have lost my internet connection, how in the world am I suppose to find information in an Acronis Help Forum?

You also request my Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]). That is well and fine, but I lost all my email because I could not restore my system using my Acronis True Image software.

That is why I am so upset. Your software will not work as advertised. If my system creates a backup image using Acronis True Image, and that backup is verified my True Image, then why can't it restore my disk using the backup image. It does not add up. I use your software to create my boot CD, create my backup image and verify my image. It is a little late to learn about what I should do once my system has crashed and I don't have access to anything.

The CD should have all the information I need. Not an online forum that I no longer have access to.

7. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I have been using acronis for a few years now and never had to wipe out my old disk image. I have no idea what you are talking about there. Of course you do have to wipe out the partitions and whatever is on the destination drive you intend to restore to. Is that what your talking about?

One reason it won't restore is you seem to be unwilling to help us help you by giving us some specific information as to what method you are using to create and restore your image. Images can be stored in many different places and formats. Tell us where you stored your image and on what medium (disk, ext USB drive, CD, DVD o_Oo_O). Where was the image stored when your system died and became unbootable etc...? Where is stored now? Has the disk or medium where your image is stored on been verified to be free from defects. Have you tried another disk drive to rule out a disk drive problem? What version of Acronis and build number created the bootable CD you are currently using?

If I were you I would download the latest version of acronis from another working computer, friends computer, or whatever. Then create another bootable rescue CD and try to restore from that. If the image you made of your system was corrupted in anyway due to a virus or whatever then it is not likely that you will be able to restore from that image. I'm making assumptions here since you have not given us more information about how the image was created and with what version and build of acronis. I would also use a completely different disk drive to rule that out.

Disk drives are so cheap nowadays there is no excuse not to have at least two of them. That way you can test out your restore procedure without actually affecting your main system disk before disaster strikes. This applies no matter what software you use to do your imaging with. As I always say, "A backup is not a backup unless you can successfully restore from it". That is the true verify procedure in my opinion.

In any case Acronis has a few glitches here and there but it does a fantastic job of restoring a windows XP system in my experience. I have tested on about eight different types of hardware (computer systems) and it has worked just great. I usually create the image from the CD and restore from the CD. I use an external USB (Smartdisk) drive to store the images and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

8. hexmaniac

hexmaniac Registered Member

If you are running Intel Application Accelerator, remove it. I've seen it do some funky things with images created with TI8 inside Windows on some Intel based mobos. HTH.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.