Acronis True Image 7.0 FREE for a limited time

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tobacco, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask is there any BartPE plugin available for this version?

Thanks.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It says version 8.
    I never used ATI so not familiar with it, will try it.
    So u can use Rescue CD to make image as weel as restore?

Attached Files:

4. wilbertnl

That is the way I use it.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, thanks. But u did not comment about BaerPE plugin that is for version 8, will it work with version 7.
    Anybody tried so far?

Thanks.

6. XP1

XP1 Registered Member

To confirm, this is the Home edition of Acronis True Image 7? o_O

7. wilbertnl

Home edition/enterprise edition is introduced in later releases.

8. XP1

XP1 Registered Member

Ok, thanks.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried rescue CD on 3 systems. On my main laptop it recognized everything including USB mouse and touch-pad. It was toshiba. I did backup but no restore yet.
    On one of my friends laptop(HP), I just used recovery CD to see how it goes with hardware. I recognized HD and USB mouse but not the touch-pad.
    On 3rd laptop( Seimens) , it did not load( this is infact a linux-unfriendly laptop).
    BTW, I really liked it too much, especialy image brwosing is very nice.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried rescue CD on 3 systems. On my main laptop it recognized everything including USB mouse and touch-pad. It was toshiba. I did backup but no restore yet.
    On one of my friends laptop(HP), I just used recovery CD to see how it goes with hardware. I recognized HD and USB mouse but not the touch-pad.
    On 3rd laptop( Seimens) , it did not load( this is infact a linux-unfriendly laptop).
    BTW, I really liked it too much, especialy image brwosing is very nice.

11. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi I had been told in another forum to d/l this free version 7.0 however I have no other ATI apps and thus don't think I qualifyo_O

I found this site very good for Noob's like myself who need a back up program for my Maxtor 200gig external drive, this is a good explanation of vers. 7 and is in plain jargon which is what I need, however I guess I can't get it?
    Anyway this site is great for instructions on vers 7.
    http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2004/utilities/true-image/trueimage1.pdf

This free version looks like it will do the job for me, the only critique it had is that it can't verify images right away.
    I really need something not elaborate to do a backup of all my programs, settings, files and data.

But does anyone know what I need to do to qualify for this d/l and am I stupid to waste my time b/c the vers 9 purchased is better??
    I liked the instructions in the Link provided above instead of Noob like me having to got through a massive manual and yawn and hi lite relevant parts.

I really look forward to comments, thankyou

12. wilbertnl

13. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for the reply, I wondered if you took a look at the Link that I included, the simple instructions attracted me to the program to be very honest. I went over them several times after I printed them out since I am a Noob to all of this and thought that this version would suit my needs,however I have a couple of questions that need clarification if you don't mind.

1. It indicates that I must make sure my CD or DVD is first "boot device" in BIOS, in my case it would be the CD as that is what I use for my boot device on my toshiba notebook, xp, sp2, pen 4, mobile processor, 512 RAM, 80 gigs, 1.9; a 3 yr old notebook and I now have a newer faster model but not set up yet.
    I will being backing up to a Maxtor 300 gig HD.

2.Can I do incrementals manually, as I don't like anything scheduled; I prefer to do them myself.

3.The Virtual Drive aspect, I don't understand. After I complete the True Image does the Virtual Drive Option automatically appear and then I create the Virtual Drive and then go to "next" to "start" and then my created True Image assigns a drive letter (as I mentioned it will be an exteranl HD) as I am confused about this mounting the virtual drive.
    I do understand that when I open My Computer drive there will be a letter assigned to it and represents the Disk Image I created.

But all of this is confusing to this Noob.

Also, am I correct that I will create the Bootable Rescue CD after I have done the creation of the Image?

What I wanted to ask as a final question is what improvements are there in vers 9 as it is available here and I wondered if it warranted purchasing it as I have read mixed user comments on vers 10 over vers 9 and thought that I would ask.

I always wonder if the newer versions come out with more bells and whistles that may simply confuse me since I am a Noob or whether there are actual improvements in useability of the program.

BTW, I want to do my own backups as I have been paying a software tech to do a Norton Ghost every month and it is getting costly; however I do know that I need a program that I can thoroughly understand and not be guessing with.

I really would appreciate experienced comments, thankyou.

14. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi, I don't want the queries placed in my above post to get lost and would appreciate replies.

But I have tried to get logged into the Acronis site and can't get to that section on Acronis.

I have my serial number and password and am registered.

The window that opens for me shows my account and then gives me the option to Register or if registered to put in my email account and the password that was sent to me.

When I do this I come up with an erroro_O

I really need help with this and also would appreciate assistance in my prior posts questions, thankyou.

15. wilbertnl

Is the Maxtor an external USB 2.0 drive?
    Yes, absolute. My experience is that incremental images only work decent when you don't defrag your drive. Since each defrag cause a lot of sectors to change, resulting in large incremental images, almost the size of a full image.
    A virtual drive is available after you install TrueImage in Windows. Your images will be accessed like a normal hard drive. But only after you select an image for access. So most of the times you work on the computer, you won't see virtual drives.
    You create the rescue CD once, after installation of TrueImage. You can repeat this any time.
    I think that this depends on personal preferences and needs. Usually newer releases are bigger and have more features, and you always pay for an upgrade. I don't think that the offered features in newer releases are worth the upgrade fees. But you should verify that for yourself by evaluating the free trial versions. And since you have an image to revert to, evaluating software will be much easier for you. :thumb:
    The most important part in this area is that you get accustomed to the restore procedure. If you understand the restore procedure of any solution, you understand how to backup.
    Let me rephrase this for you: restore!, restore!, restore!
    Did your software tech ever test the restore procedure? If not, you overpaid him/her.

16. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for the reply, yes the Maxtor one touch is a usb 2.

The virtual drive is it recognized then when I replug in the Maxtor?
    As I won't be having it connected all of the time. If that is the case then I assume with my elementary knowledge of computers that I would see it in my computerso_O right or wrong.
    Then to do the backups did the procedures in the Link that I gave in my post look sufficient to get the job done, as that explanation was fairly plain to me.

I have printed out the instructions and intend to follow them, I have not done a d/l of the vers 7 yet and plan to after this post.

I see that you comment on defragging not being a good idea before you do a backup.
    I wondered then, as I usually do a defrag once a month, I should then do a incremental back up before I do the defrag correct?

And am i able after each incremental to tell if it is good or not??
    What I am referring to here is the "check image'??

Also is the Automatic compression feature the best to use?

And finally, when I was in purchasing my Maxtor the fellow said that sometimes ATI versions are not always compatible with certain notebooks.
    Mine is a 3 year old satellite 2410. He had an Acer and has no intention of purchasing version 9 or 10 as he said that the version 10 which he bought is a super program.
    He was not trying to sell me version 9 which is all that is available here in northwest Canada, he was just mentioning that a friend of his had a notebook that the version 7 would simply not work properly ono_O
    Is this the case? And is it b/c of different parts in the notebooks or is it b/c of programs that one has on the computer.

I see that Nero 6, seems to have quirks with CD/DVDo_O I use the second last version of Nero 6 as it is the most stable.
    I will be doing my b/u to a Hard Drive and only my Recovery Boot disk will be done on a CD, is that an issueo_O

No one that I have talked to in any of the stores know ATI, they all use Norton Ghost 10 and say the user friendliness is bettero_O?
    Any comments on that.
    I learn as I go, do a lot of reading, post in forums and as well keep a book by my computer that is tabbed regarding the issues that I have had problems with and their solutions.

Thx for your advice and I hope that you are able to respond to the above, thankyou for your time.

I must say when I go to Acronis, it does not say "log in" it simply talks about Register and that is why I am confused.
    Cheers.

17. wilbertnl

No, when you attach the Maxtor you will see the folders and images you took. You need to start TrueImage and select Explore Image before a virtual drive is created. When you stop exploring the drive is released and gone.
    You insist that I read the document. :) It's all pretty simple and plain. It's your fear for the unknown that is in your way.
    Incremental images depend on each other, so a defrag any time has an effect on the next incremental image.
    Yes, check image lets you verify the integrity of the image.
    Default setting here would work well for you.
    I would not know that, only a test with the software will tell you.
    TrueImage has it's own CD driver to write a rescue CD. It can also create rescue floppies, but it takes 5 floppies.
    That is also a personal preference.
    You already are registered, you are able to sign in as registered user, with your email and password that is provided to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.