Acronis True Image 2009 fails to backup Ext3

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WolfgangJ, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfgangJ

WolfgangJ Registered Member

I slashed this posting, because my note below explains the situation.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. WolfgangJ

WolfgangJ Registered Member

I found out TrueImage can NOT deal with Ext3 partitions (with 256 I-Nodes) used by Ubuntu 8.10 and later.
    I am going to try out Clonezilla instead to back up the Ext3 partitions. Clonezilla is open source freeware.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WolfgangJ,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image Home 2009

Can you please describe the issue in more details? Are there any error messages? The latest build (9709) of Acronis True Image Home 2009 supports 256 i-node and can backup ext3 file systems under Acronis bootable disc.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. BoundaryNoob

BoundaryNoob Registered Member

I am not sure if this truncated thread addresses my question or not.

I have successfully created a stand-alone True Image Home 2009 bootable CD and have attempted to use it to image a Linux (ext3 formatted) logical partition to another ext3 logical partition on the same drive. I specified the sector by sector backup method.

Approximately two minutes after instructing 'Proceed' I am receiving an error message stating that there is an error in creating the file, inevitably followed by a notification that the backup is cancelled.

The target sector size is approximately 9GB and there is plenty of space (75GB) in the destination sector to receive the image.

I have the machine set up to dual boot with Windows XP Home and Ubuntu 9.04. Windows boots from a different physical drive to the one with the ext3 partitions referred to above.

Is the issue identified by WolfgangJ insurmountable for TI2009 or is there more I can try?

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

BoundaryNoob:

Older versions of True Image Home used to support writing to ext3 file systems, but that was dropped in version 11. The current 2009 version definitely does not.

With TI 2009, you need to write the image files to FAT32 or NTFS partitions, or to a machine on a LAN. For example, if you have another Linux machine running Samba, then you can save images to it even if the underlying file system is not FAT32 or NTFS. Or, you can save to an NTFS partition and later copy the image file somewhere else.

6. BoundaryNoob

BoundaryNoob Registered Member

Hi k0lo

Looks like that solves the problem - thanks for your help!

7. scuba077

scuba077 Registered Member

Hi..Using a trial vers TI 2009..Backup succeeded initially a few days ago..tried yesterday backup hung and did nothing...confused with the product..no errors pop up to tell me what the problem is?? Can u assist? using XP SP3..Avast ..Help would be most appreciated..Trying to decide what Backup software to invest in..

8. scuba077

Re: Acronis True Image 2009 fails to backup

Hi..Using a trial vers TI 2009..Backup succeeded initially a few days ago..tried yesterday backup hung and did nothing...confused with the product..no errors pop up to tell me what the problem is?? Can u assist? using XP SP3..Avast ..Help would be most appreciated..Trying to decide what Backup software to invest in..

9. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

Absolutely give Clonezilla a go. it worked for me just downloaded it a few days ago. One thing to be carefull about is it will not restore a partition unless it is equal or greater in size to the one you backed up regardless of the space used on the partition you backed up. A restore will also fail if the MBR has been changed since you made the back up.

10. Acronis Support

Hello scuba077,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

I have sent two files to you via PM, please install them and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

11. scuba077

Thanks...will try on saturday 13 June ..
    will advise outcome..

12. Acronis Support

Hello scuba077,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please let us know the results at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.