Acronis True Image 11 crashes all the time

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Volkmar, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volkmar

Volkmar Registered Member

Yesterday I purchased True Image 11 - I wish I hadn't.

It started with the installation which took forever (more than 45minute)!
    Then it seemed to close ok (without any error message).

Problem is, I can't create a Backup Location or a task - the application just shuts done with the message 'True image encountered... will close'.
    It is not usable at all!
    I'm very disappointed about the quality. How can one possibly sell this?
    (Windows XP, latest build of True Image 11, Dell PC.)

regards Volkmar

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sounds like a bad install or possibly a standing conflict with something on your machine.

Be sure to mark ATI as Allowed in you your Antvirus/Internet Security software -- this is done diff depending on which ones you use but there's usually a way. You might want to allow all the exe files that are under the C:\program files\Acronis and C:\program files\Common Files\Acronis and their subdirectories. Some AV/Sec programs take care fo this automatically and some don't. Some try and fail.

Next I'd tried uninstalling ATI, then running msconfig.exe, select services and hide all microsoft services then disable all remaining services, select Startup and disable everything. Then reboot, install ATI and see how it works.

Once it's working, then run msconfig and uncheck everything you disable before the ATI installation. If it works, terrif. If ATI now doesn't work, the prob is compatibiliyt with one of the things you had checked inside msconfig. You try putting out/in one by one until you find a culprit -- then contact Tech Support regading the incompatibility.

You can contact Tech Support right off the bat, but they'll probably run you through the above steps along with a few others.

3. Volkmar

Thank you Shieber,

I appreciate your comments. I will try them end of the week when I'm back home (travelling right now). I was contacted by the Support team and they asked me to create some reports with Dr. Watson, which I also will do end of the week.

Your idea with the Antivirus might be a good one, thinking of it. I'm using Zone Alarm Internet Suite.

The install took forever. In the beginning fast, and then, when the progress bar was at the very end for the second time, nothing would happen for more than 30 minutes or so. First I thought, maybe it is the external USB harddrive that the app would scan, but I removed it and had the same problem.
    I did reinstall once, the de-installation took as long as the installation. Then I thought maybe the US version of Acronis I downloaded for the weak $ ;-)
    doensn't like my German XP but your Antivirus idea sounds more feasible.

Thanks again, will keep you posted about progress end of the week.

Volkmar

4. dsharp

dsharp Registered Member

I had a lot of the same problems with ATI 11. At first I suspected that it was the Intel Raid 1 that was causing the long disc processing, hangs, etc. After I removed Zone Alarm ATI started performing much better. Does Anyone have any experience with Bit Defender? The last build of Zone Alarm has not gone well.

5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Registered Member

Software Installation Rule #1 (and certainly the most important)...

No other programs should be running while installing new software.

Anytime I need to install new software, I make a point of shutting down apps and background services that are running. I can't count the number of times I've gotten lazy and ignored this rule, and I wound up paying the price.
    Yeah, it's a pain the butt to go in and disable everything, but it's a lot easier to deal with than the problems associated with a bad install.

6. Volkmar

Hi there,

I did check my Zonealarm settings, gave the Acronis program maximum security - still the same error. Then I disabled Zonealarm entirely - same result.
    I produced some logs and reports for the support team and mailed them yesterday. Hopefully they find something.
    The application is still not usable at all - if I want to setup a new task or a new backup location - it will always shut down.
    I didn't try the proposals form the first post yet (with the exception of the Antivirus related ones).

Volkmar

7. Volkmar

I did uninstall ATI 11 yesterday and then I checked the registry to make sure, everything is gone so a fresh install is not impacted. I found 63 entries in the registry related to Acronis. I deleted them and found out that some can not be deleted: it looks like the deletion is successful but if I do another fresh search they are back again. So I get the number down to 14 entries, but those will stay.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Volkmar

8. motiger

motiger Registered Member

The only thing that has worked for me is to use the sector by sector approach to creating the image to begin with. I tried to go back to V10 but that didn't work...couldn't clear V11 out enough. Tried support and thats a laugh, they will tie you up for weeks getting reports for them and they still don't have a clue. I used to be among their biggest supporters but not since V11. Good luck my friend.

9. motiger

Oh heres a P.S.....Sector by Sector takes about twice as long as the other method......Motiger

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

11. Volkmar

Thanks dbknox!

Volkmar

12. motiger

Me too, I appreciate it.

13. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Your welcome and good luck, don't give up with out a fight!!!

14. Volkmar

Here we go again...

I did uninstall ATI Home 11 entirely and also followed the instructions to uninstall as described earlier in the link from dbknox.

Then I did a fresh reinstall with all other applications closed, including Antivirus- same problem. The first indication is, that during the install, once the icon appears onm the desktop and the install seems to be done (at least for any other decent application) it take 32 more minutes until the message 'completed.. restart now' appears.

Then opening the application and trying to create a new task crashes the application as before. At least the application is consistent in that :ouch:

I'm running out of ideas and so is Customer Service. Is there a way to get the money back?

frustrated
    Volkmar

15. Joseph Zorzin

Joseph Zorzin Registered Member

I find it rather amazing that a program's uninstall routine doesn't fully uninstall the program- then they have to create some other program for that purpose. I should think that the programers who create the install program should simultaneously be noting the process so that the uninstall should be flawless, but this seems to be a common problem.

Joe

16. beej

beej Registered Member

I'm having the same problem as Volkmar. ATI v,11 will not install on my system. The installation hangs on the screen with the green progress bar. I didn't let it sit for hours, but I think I gave it long enough. After killing the installer I was left with partially installed software that didn't function properly with no way to easily remove it. (Thanks dbknox for the link to the removal instructions.) Using jv16 PowerTools I was able to remove enough of it to get my system functioning pretty normally again. I tried this several times, always with the same result. I had previously installed the trial version of ATI and liked what I saw. (I'm getting pretty fed up with Norton Ghost.) After the 2 week trial period, I uninstalled it. Maybe that was a mistake. I finally got around to buying a full version on CD and now it's a no-go. I'm getting very frustrated. I'm not happy with the suggestion of disabling everything running in order to install. If this software doesn't play well with others, I don't think I want it. But I'm kind of doubtful that's the problem.
    My system is a Dell XPS 400 running XP MCE, sp2. The only thing a bit unusual is that I have two drives in a RAID 1 configuration and a third large (500GB) drive that is not part of the RAID array.
    Any further suggestions are appreciated.

17. lnchrs

lnchrs Registered Member

I have been reading this thread with interest. I have had TI V9 and 10. I then got an offer for a free upgrade to TI11. What a mistake. After the lengthy install, I never could get the bootcd to work without crashing after backup.

Very long story short - I opted for the complete reinstall. I installed XP Pro that I autostreamed XP SP1 with SP2 (Yes I built this PC several years ago). Installed latest Zonealarm, downloaded and installed updates, installed ATI display driver updates. Bootup and shutdown are snappy again. Tonight I will try the rest of my software installs (TrueCrypt, Quicken, and video editing). Then I will do the TI V9 original install, TI V9 last update, TI V10 upgrade, and TI V10 latest update. Once I get the base software and applications installed and no problems installing TI V10 (like it used to work), time for the "baseline" TI backup. If I have problems, at least I haven't lost that much time. I figure the windows registry just gets so bloated with entries after several years, its time for a fresh install.

18. Volkmar

I have performed another complete uninstall, following the instructions above.
    Interesting thing is that a search in the registry still shows 25 hits!
    I attached the screenshot. The "F:\download.." entries I understand, here I have the uninstalled executable.
    All others I don't understand.

Then I did a fresh install on my Lenovo Thinkpad. Guess what? Application hangs when I want to create a new task. It doesn't crash, it just hangs forever.
    So, different machine, different XP version - similar issues.
    What kind of Software is thiso_Oo_Oo_O

Volkmar

Attached Files:

• reg.JPG
      reg.JPG
      File size:
      230.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Volkmar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

20. Acronis Support

Hello beej,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try disabling antivirus and firewall software temporarily.

Please clear Windows temp folders (usually located at C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp, you may need to set Windows to show hidden and system files). Please download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package, install and run it. Select Acronis True Image 11 Home and click Remove. Then reboot your computer and try installing Acronis True Image again.

If the issue persists, please collect the installation log file the way it is described in this previous post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

21. Volkmar

Hi Marat,

I have done all of this already. I am in touch with support for several weeks now. The number is #1357615.
    I installed and uninstalled at least 10 times by now -each cycle taking more than 90 minutes!

frustrated
    Volkmar

22. Volkmar

I received from support the German version, hoping this might be the issue.

I uninstalled completely, following the instructions on the forum. I then disabled the firewall and all other programs and did a fresh install.

Here the same thing happened which to me is the key to my issues: the install took again 35 minutes. Once the blue progress bar is at 100% and the icon appears, nothing will happen for about 30 minutes until the 'finalized, reboot windows' appears.
    What is the application trying to do during this time?

The installation process completes, though, without error message.
    After rebooting i tried to create a task. The application will close as usual before I even go to creating one.

Last idea: I'm using a Western Digital external 1 TB harddrive (with two partitions). Could that be the culprit?

Volkmar

23. Volkmar

I was asked by the support team to describe my problem in more detail. It will be escalated to the development team now. I put here my answer as well:
    Sure, will do.

Let me state first that I did the installation now at least 10 times and the result was always exactly the same. It is absolutely repeatable. I did always uninstall first including cleaning up the registry etc. as described on the forum.

Let me also emphasis that I believe the issue is related to the behaviour during the installation: I always used the 'experienced user' option in order to change the installation path (nothing else). Installation will start fine until the blue progress bar is completed and the icon build on the desktop. Then the application seems to do nothing for about 32 minutes. And then finally it will complete with the 'want to reboot' message. No error message at this point.
    The uninstall behaves the same way, about 32 minutes nothing will happen and then the process starts and completes.

After reboot I start the application and select 'Management tools' -> Manage tasks -> Create New Task - > Next -> Next (Back up) -> Next (My Computer) -> Next (Disks and partitions) -> I select Partition D: (where my data resides) and deselect C: -> Next -> Next (no change to Source Files Exclusion) -> Information window about incremental vs. Differential pops up - just wait 3 seconds now and the Error Message window will pop up (...Acronis True Image has encountered problem and needs to close...) -> Bingo!

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Volkmar

24. Volkmar

brief update:

I uploaded the requested files to the Acronis server and someone from the development team is looking into this (that was April 7th).
    Since then I haven't heard anything.

Volkmar

25. Acronis Support

Hello Volkmar,

We are sorry for delayed response.

We have contacted the appropriate person, and you will receive a reply as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.