Acronis True Image 10 Cloning no boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GaryLog, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryLog

GaryLog Registered Member

I installed and ran the TI10 in the clone mode, I have a failing (makes clicking and whining noise) Sata hard drive, so I clone that drive to a new Sata hard drive, everything went smooth and fast (very impressed with the speed). Both drives look the same when I open them up, but when I remove the failing drive and put the new drive in its place and boot the system after it detects everything and tries to boot all I get is a blinking - in the upper left hand corner, it never boots to windows. I tried to run the Windows XP Pro CD and nothing happens. When I run the windows CD with the failing drive the CD works propperly. How can I get this new drive to boot?

GaryLog

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you put the original drive back in does it boot? Did you disconnect the original drive and reboot without it connected? It sounds like you didn't. By "windows cd" do you mean the TI Rescue CD? Read this article about multi-booting windows at http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm for an explanation of what happened.

3. GaryLog

If you put the original drive back in does it boot?
    Yes the original drive will still work just like it did before.

Did you disconnect the original drive and reboot without it connected?
    Yes, when TI10 finished the cloning operation, I remove the TI10 CD and manually shut down the PC, I then removed the Sata cable for the original drive and put it on the cloned drive, and then I restarted the PC

It sounds like you didn't.

By "windows cd" do you mean the TI Rescue CD?
    The windows CD is the Windows XP Pro install disk, I was going to try to do a repair to the clone drive to see if I could fix the master boot record.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

This is very strange. A key point here is why didn't the PC boot to the Windows XP Pro installation CD? This should not be a function of True Image. It seems that he did everything correctly. Since he created the clone using the TI Bootable Rescue Media CD suggests that the BIOS boot priority was correctly set. Had this not been true the PC would have booted into Windows. The only thing I can think of is a bad cable or connection with the CD drive. Conceivably the new hard drive could be defective but that is somewhat unlikely. Running chkdsk /r might rule that possibility out.

5. GaryLog

The harddrive is brand new, when I use the old hard drive the windows XP Pro install CD will work. I am about ready to just reformat the new hard drive and start new with the windows install cd. I just hate to have to reinstall over 160gigs of programming, games and other stuff. I e-mailed Acronis yesterday and have not heard any response.

When I clone I used it in windows first with the same results, then I tried with the bootable Rescue Media CD and clone it before windows started. this is what happened during the cloning operation:
    Operation 1 of 3 completed removing all data from the destination drive
    Operation 2 of 3 completed cloning the old drive to new drive
    Scnchronizing with the operating system completed
    I then remove the TI10 CD and manually shut down the PC. Removed the Sata serial cable from the old drive and inserted it into the new drive then rebooted the system. and then after the boot sequence was over it tried to go and all I got was that blinking dash in the upper left hand corner.

When I use the windows XP Pro install Cd with the old drive and go thru to the end where you choose to install windows or do a repair, and I choose repair, it comes up asking which drive do I want to repair:
    C:
    D:
    E:
    or F:

what is interesting by drives in windows are listed as
    C: old drive Sata 150
    D: Main storage no windows IDE
    G: Vista Ultimate IDE
    H: Cloned drive Sata 300

I am not sure what drive to choose. I guess I will have to unplug all but the 2 drive that I want so I can choose the cloned drive. even if it would repair it so that it works, I do not know.
    Please give me some ideas real soon or I will reformat and reinstall windows to the new drive.

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

It looks like your new 300 GB drive is not being recognized as the C: drive. Additionally you appear to have partitions that you didn't mention, namely your D: and G: drives. There should be some hope here to make it workable.

Have you tried connecting only the new 300 GB drive? Then run the Windows XP installation CD. This should eliminate the confusion of Windows seeing the old C: drive which you really don't want to repair.

7. zetta

zetta Registered Member

Is your new Hard drive jumpered correctly) as the old one was)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.