Acronis True Image 10 boot cd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Goku, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goku

Goku Registered Member

I created an Acronis True Image boot CD when I installed ATI version 10.

I formatted my hard drive (installed winxp sp3) and tried to use the boot cd to create an image of my C: drive directly to a blank DVD+RW but I get an error saying that "the file is read only". At first I thought the DVD+RW disc had some stuff on it so I erased it using Nero. However, I still get the same error message when I try again to create an image of the C: drive directly to the blank DVD+RW disc. However, I can create an image of my C: drive to my 2nd hard drive I have in my PC. I suspect that the Acronis True Image Boot CD does not contain a DVD writing software.

How do I create an Acronis True Image boot CD that will allow me to create an image of my hard drive directly to a blank dvd disc ?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Some others might be able to help to acheive your goal directly. ATI should be able to do it but the bootCD sometimes it has trouble with some hardware since the bootCD runs linux for an OS and doesn't have the same drivers that windows uses.

An alternative is to make teh backup directly from within Windows. Since this will run under Windows and use the woindows drivers that you already know work on your hardware, you are less likely to have problems during the backup than using the bootCD.

You can always make the file to hardisk and then copy/burn it to optical medium. An option in ATI is to specify splitting backup files and the size of hte splits.

But note that, if your backup is going to take more than just a couple of disks, you will be involved in so much disk swapping during a restore that you will go slightly crazy. Even with jsut two optical disk, a sane person might lose patience. Any files that span a CD/DVD will require multiple disk swaps. So if you save backups on opticals, copy them to a harddisk before attempting a restore.

Note also, that if the BootCD cannot write directly to your opticals, then it probalby won't be able to restore from them either -- so copy the files back to harddisk before a restore is probably a goo idea -- assuming you have the PC up and running well enough to be able to copy files.

Lastly, note that you can contact Tech and they can probably send an iso file that you can burn to CD to make a bootCd that has drivers that will work for you. This will involve a little work colelcting some info for them to use to figure out what you need.

Alternatively, you can make a BartPE or VistaPE disk to do your backups and restores. These would run windows as OS and use the windows drivers.

3. Goku

Goku Registered Member

I can make an image of my c: drive to a blank dvd disc with no problem if I have the ATI software installed on my PC.

The reason why I would like to create an image of my C: drive directly to a blank DVD using only the boot cd is because the installation of Acronis True Image takes up so much RAM (memory) and that slows down the computer so much. I thought it would be great if I could use only the boot cd instead of installing the software on my PC to create image of my hard drive. In the mean time it would take me two steps using the boot cd to save an image to a blank dvd disc.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If the mere installation of ATI being present noticably slows down your machine, you have other more significant problems going on and you should start trouble shooting your hardware. Yes ATI will slow down the PC operations while doing a backup, although not as much as booting form a CD will as that brings PC operations to a dead stop except for the backup. And you can set the priority below normal to minimize this. Also, many of us schedule backups to run during off hours, so we never even see it running. But while ATI sitting installed but idle you'd have to be a magician to see a slowdown or have some serious problems going on in your PC other than ATI.

If you prefer not to instal it, that's a matter of choice, but expect that most backup progs are most likely to present probs with the BootCd due to the linux os -- not all brands are troubled with the same hardware set ups so it pays to shop around.

If you installed ATI you could probably make backups directly to DVD in one step. Restoring would still be an issue as described above. YOu certainly have options, but if you want to make backups direct to DVD with the Boot CD you have, you are probably out of luck. If you've had ATI less than 30 days you could as for a refund -- that's another option.

5. Goku

Goku Registered Member

I upgraded to version 11 and the boot cd can create an image of my C: drive directly on a blank DVD disc.

Now I no longer have to have ATI software installed on my PC.

Acronis True Image Version 11 rules !!!

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. daford

daford Registered Member

Can you please let me know how you were able to back up your C Drive to a CD/DVD. I purchased Acronis True Image and went back to Norton Ghost because I couldn't find out how to back up to DVD, and I'm having nothing but problems with this process with Ghost.

7. Goku

Goku Registered Member

How ? I first created a Boot CD (rescue disc) then used it to create(backup) my C: Drive to a blank DVD disc. The steps are very straight forward.

You have to have version 11 of ATI to create an image of your C: drive directly to a blank DVD disc. Any version older than version 11 cannot back up directly to a blank disc.

Step by step instruction on how to use ATI to backup your HD
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1073

Backup and restore a whole disk with Acronis True Image
    http://www.readynas.com/?p=294

How To: Backup data using Acronis True Image
    http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-backup-data-with-acronis-true-image.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.