Acronis True Image 10 And Vista + XP Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shawn_selig29, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawn_selig29

shawn_selig29 Registered Member

Hi guys, before i buy acronis true image, i was wondering .... my comps are setup to dual boot xp and vista with vistas boot manager....if i buy true image can i hook it up like in case my os doesn't boot i can press a button on the keyboard too restore the computer?.... (like some comp manufactures have for quick and easy restore)..... thxs, shawn

i guess it called the f11 button at bootup?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As long as you have made an image of the entire hard drive, this will work.

The feature you are describing is the Startup Recovery Manager. It works with the Acronis Secure Zone.

Personally, it's not my favorite way of backing up, but it's there to use. If you use the SRM, do not put the Secure Zone on an external hard drive. If you do, the hard drive will have to be attached and running for your comptuter to boot. That's unacceptable.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah you have that option. If your pc can boot off a usb flashdrive or hard drive then i'd use that to boot trueimage. Personally i use an 8gb usb flashdrive to boot trueimage and also to store my basic images.

4. shawn_selig29

thxs for all replies.... so when i get true image, should i install true image in xp or vista or both.... ?.....

my parttions are setup this way:

1) Windows XP - primary ntfs
    2)Vista - primary ntfs...
    3) the rest is unallocated aprox 40gb.. that i would like to use for acronis images... should i keep it unallcoated and let true image make a part or do i gotta make the parttion.. thxs, shawn

edit: and in advance can you tell me howto backup a whole hard drive... i'm gonna go out and buy it now in some store...thxs again, shawn

5. jmk94903

Install it on one or both, it's up to you.

When you make the image, you will be able to select the drive which will select all the partitions on the drive and the MBR.

You should really store your backup images on a different hard drive, either internal or external USB or Firewire. Images stored on the same drive are gone if the drive fails.

However, if you want to keep the images on the same drive, start TrueImage and create a SecureZone in the unallocated space (TrueImage will create the parttion for you.)

Then activate the Startup Recovery Manager to have F11 start TI at bootup. This will allow you to recover from software or virus problems, but if the drive dies, you are out of luck.

6. shawn_selig29

wow...thxs alot you answered all my questions... sounds good... yeah..i plan on getting another drive soon.... but for now i would like to have my homemade one instead of old dell system restore which i deleted.... i just bought true image i will install it later...

7. shawn_selig29

ok..i installed ti 10... created secure zone.. and activated startup recovey manager.... now i'm making backup...is this pic right for what i wanna do?

Attached Files:

8. jmk94903

Yes it is. Note that you checked the drive box but TI is smart enough not to check the SecureZone partition. Clever isn't it?

You can then store your images in the SecureZone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.