Acronis TI8 Put to the Test

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beltandbraces, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beltandbraces

beltandbraces Registered Member

After installing Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator (Platinum Version 6.2.0130) it was taking my PC twice as long to boot-up. In fact everything slowed up and gradually ground to a halt. My previously hidden Dell Diagnostics FAT 16 partition was now visible in Windows Explorer and had been allocated drive letter F:\ previously allocated to my external hard drive. Being very unhappy and uncomfortable with this unexpected and potentially dangerous turn of events I decided to restore my hard disk using Acronis True Image 8 (Build 774) but got the message: File System Error 24: MFT bitmap corrupted. Not only had ECD6 disabled my virus protection without my permission but had also written to the hidden partition and corrupted the hard disk! Further work with Acronis resulted in error message E000101F4 “Acronis has not found any hard drives” and E00070021 “Cannot create image of the logical drive C: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors.”

I’m sure Acronis users will be pleased to know that I eventually successfully restored my hard drive C:\ by using my Acronis emergency boot CD which restored a backup image from my external hard drive. For me, this was the first time I have needed to use Acronis for recovery and it has saved the day!

Would be pleased to hear comments from others with similar experience and possible solutions to the Roxio problem.

2. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

Roxio is known to destroy systems, but personally i havent had any serious problems creating or restoring using acronis. I find that doing the restoring or creating in dos much more stable than windows itself. You will notice it doesnt just clone the hard drive but all the errors along with it ;) so its best to create an image of a working system just in case

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Alex,

Hope you don't feel I'm being pedantic but the "Full" version of the boot rescue CD is Linux based not DOS. The "Safe" version, on the other hand, uses a combination of DOS and motherboard BIOS functions.

Regards

4. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

There is no undelying DOS in NT. What's used is an emulation (such as Caldera DOS). DOS has been dead for years, unless one is masochistic enough to run any of the 9x family of MS OSs.

5. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

Linux based is still a form of DOS isnt it? i am not talking MS dOS here

6. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

No on both counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.