Acronis TI10 E-Mail Notification's??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve1209, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi All,

Acronis TI10 has been working fine, I am wondering how to make E-Mail notifications work, since I can't get it at this time to work.

I use GMAIL or I could use HOTMAIL or any other FREE mail service, but lets concentrate on GMAIL for now.

Under notifications I have the following
    Email address: ME@GMAIL.com
    Outgoing smtp server: smtp.gmail.com
    Set port: 465 <==I got this from GMAIL help?
    User Name: ME
    Password: XXXXXX

The above doesn't work, I know I have something CLUSTERED up, what did I hose, sure hope someone can help me get the notification correct!!

Steve

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

You might try this, it worked for me:

Modify your e-mail address from ME@GMAIL.com to read <ME@GMAIL.com> (adding the characters <>).

Can't comment on the SMTP server entry or port # – don't know.

Leave the User Name and Password blank

3. Steve1209

Thanks Bruce,

More help needed, I tried what Bruce said with

"<ME@GMAIL.com> (adding the characters <>).

Leave the User Name and Password blank"

That did NOT work, does anyone else have experience with notifications, GMAIL or HOTMAIL, I'd really appreciate your input on getting this process to work with TI10.

Can anyone please help?
    Thank you so much,
    Steve

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I have never used gmail, but I notice from their help center (centre) that their SMTP server uses TLS (which is a commitee attempt to replace SSL). If this is not optional at the server end, and it does not appear to be, then this requires that the client (i.e. True Image) supports TLS. It would not surprise me if it didn't.

You were right to supply username password by the way.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

I suggest you find a bog-standard SMTP server.

F.

5. Steve1209

foghorne,

Thank you for the reply, you said "I suggest you find a bog-standard SMTP server."

I'm VERY sorry I don't know what that means, I know you are truely trying to be helpful and I just don't understand, could you give me an example? Are any of the FREE E-MAIL services included? GMAIL, HOTMAIL YAHOO and can you explain how to implement such an E-MAIL address or bog-server?

Steve

6. foghorne

Hi Steve, by bog-standard I meant ordinary, i.e. no authentication, no encryption. You can usually spot these because they work on port 25 and do *not* require username and password. Typically you can get a free email account with your ISP - though more and more of these seem to be going web based.

F.

7. Steve1209

Foghorne,

I tried my ISP which is comcast SMTP outgoing server SMTP.COMCAST.NET I assume port 25, can't find info on the correct port to use, I did NOT get notification, CAN ANYONE tell me an E-MAIL service that notifications work under with TI10 (please not outlook) I'd be most interested in GMAIL, COMCAST, HOTMAIL or YAHOO.

Is anyone using E-MAIL notification & has it working with a free web based service OR any other e-mail client? If so could or would you give me the set-up instructions under TI10 E-MAIL notifications.

Thanks for any more help or direction,
    Steve

8. Steve1209

Acronis Support has not had time to answer this request,

I'm hoping someone on this forum uses E-MAIL notifications and can guide me as they always have in the past!!

Thanks again for ANY more info,

Steve

9. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Comcast will definitely work. Put your email address in the brackets:

<someone@comcast.net> and include just your user name and password in those fields. Leave the port at 25.

10. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Understanding that you are with Comcast I did a bit of a search. It's not clear to me why you are not using a Comcast e-mail address as this should work well and I believe they have web mail service also. Have not looked into this tho. From the Comcast web site I find the following:

The Comcast mail server settings are as follows:

Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: smtp.comcast.net
    Incoming mail (POP3) server: mail.comcast.net

Outgoing mail (SMTP) port: 587
    Incoming mail (POP3) port: 110

Bruce

11. foghorne

Steve,

you should only be interested in Bruce's SMTP settings. POP3 is what you would use if you wanted to read email.

F.

12. Steve1209

Hey Techtype,

Comcast did work as you said it would at port 25 with the user name & password filled in, at least it worked on a manual run this evening, I'll see tonight if my nightly scheduled back-up gives the same results. Thanks to you & everyone else who responded to help solve my problem, I wish it worked with GMAIL but this is OK for now unless someone else has gotten GMAIL to work & would care to share that info!!

Steve

13. Steve1209

Hey All,

My nightly back-up of course sent an e-mail to comcast which I guess I'll need to look to make sure my back-up ran since my GMAIL account fails all the time!

Thanks for the info,

Steve

14. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.