ACronis TI with incremetnal or differential images?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WolfBLN, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfBLN

WolfBLN Registered Member

Hello!

I did a full image of one partition and then scheduled so called "incremental" images based on that full image.

Are those incremental images really incremental ones requiring to keep them all to restore the latest state or are they differential images? So when having one full and 20 differential ones I can delete the first 18 if I only require the two latest generations of working images (full plus diff #19, full plus diff #20)?

Thanks a lot for helping :)

WolfBLN

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You had first better find out just what you created, an incremental or a differential backup since TI is capable of doing either.

If it was an incremental then you need all 20 to get back to the latest state or all 19 to get back to the previous state. If it was a differential then you only need the last one to get back to the latest state, or #19 to get back to the previous state as you said. All of these are on top of the full backup.

However, due to a bug, TI is able to restore to the desired state with the a differential but if you try to verify the archive the verify will fail without all of the intermediate differential backups being present.

3. WolfBLN

WolfBLN Registered Member

My version 8 of Acronis TI only offers the option to do an incremental Backup based on a full or an incremental based on an incremental backup.

What is it I don't understand yet?

Thanks for helping! :))

wolf

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I believe the differential backup is a feature introduced in version 9.

Have a look at the version 8 User Guide about incremental backups. In TI 9, and TI8 may be the same, selecting either the full or any existing incremental backup, when creating a new incremental has the same effect. TI does an incremental on the archive not a specific file.

(If TI8 does allow you to make an incremental based on either the full or an incremental then the one based on the full would properly be called a differential.)

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Incrementals have th eadvatage of allowing one to restore earlier versions of files. Differentials do not.

Hey, this my 1000th posting at Wilders.
    Now I know why my fingers are tired!

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WolfBLN,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis True Image 8.0 can't create a differential image. It creates only full and incremental ones. As it was said above, you should store all previous incremental images in order to restore the latest one.

You can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you want to create the differential images, please visit Acronis online store to purchase Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Upgrade.

A differential image contains all changes that have been done after the full image creation. To restore a differential image, Acronis True Image must match the differential image with the original one.

Please find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.