Acronis TI v8 - Compatible with Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mal_t, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Hi

Would I be wasting my time installing True Image 8 on Vista x64?

I registered it back in 2006 and download the update 8.0.937 (24.7MB). Haven't used it for ages and can't even remember if I need to install from the disk first then update to 8.0.937, or just install 8.0.937 on its own?

TIA

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You won't likely waste much time because it won't install!

The current version of TI is TI2009 which using the old numbering system would be TI12. As you can see, TI8 is way out of date.

The first TI to support Vista was TI10 and assume it supports the 64 bit version as well as the 32 bit.

OTOH, people have claimed to used just the TI CD with say, TI9, to backup and restore Vista. However, if the drive was setup using Vista the offset will be wrong and a repair will be necessary using the Vista CD. Also, if the hardware is a very new there is a good chance the TI8 Linux recovery environment will not recognize it or have good drivers for it.

3. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Had a feeling I'd need to upgrade beyond version 8 that I've already got, and from what you say TI9 may possibly be not all that suitable.

So would I have to stump up the full £39.95 if I was to go for TI2009 then, or is there a cheaper alternative for registered users of older versions?

Cheers

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, there is an upgrade price for owners of older versions. When you install it you need both your new serial number and also the TI8 serial number.

I would strongly suggest you download the trial version of TI2009 first and ensure that it works properly on your machine. One of the problems that seems to affecting at least some users of TI2009 is what appears to be a problem restoring an archive containing Microsoft Office 2007 and perhaps 2003. It isn't a fatal problem but causes Office to request one of its install CDs to run properly after a restore. Acronis is investigating the problem.

5. country2

country2 Registered Member

"It isn't a fatal problem but causes Office to request one of its install CDs to run properly after a restore. Acronis is investigating the problem."

That is exactly the same issues I had the other day when testing my backup.....now I know what caused it and I hope they do fix it.

6. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

I use Open Office, so that won't be a problem. Will try the free trial.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.