Acronis TI v8 build 764 does not restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cityman, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cityman

cityman Registered Member

Great suggestion.

my hard drive is 60gb but i only use even now 12gb. i have two external hard drive- each is 40 gb. so i can do what you suggested.

i only use the dvd as added protection. but perhaps this is overkill.

i have completed my preparations. i have deleted ati v 8. will be installing v7 build 613 which is the one i have. i will attempt to build it to 634.

many thanks for your help!

2. jmacmillan

jmacmillan Registered Member

Gentlemen...

This thread seems to be recurring under several different titles. It DOES seem to be isolated to laptops, and it is NOT faulty harware of any sort. One other thread to monitor is:

True Image 8.0 - faulty rescue boot process

Considering the design of this product, and the number of people complaining of this rebooting problem, this SHOULD be one of support's biggest issues.

3. mazaprin

mazaprin Registered Member

Hi Cityman, I am glad that you are on your way to Resurrection. After you Update your version 7 to Build 634 you will be set (if you paid $30 to Upgrade to ATI 8 Keep the version 8 Installer (if you downloaded it), burn it to a CD and name it "Software Installers or "Shareware" and store all your software Installers and Updates that you download there. After Acronis fixes all the bugs on version 8 in about one month and everything is working fine, the n you can Re-install version 8. A piece of Advise: Do not rely on CDs or DVDs for Backups (they are very FRAGILE and could BREAK if mishandled) always use your External HDs (they are like encased and protected warehouses). Remember to use CHKDSK, then Clean and Defrag your HD and Re-start your PC (or laptop) BEFORE using Acronis to Create the Backup Image. Go inside your External HD and create a FOLDER and name it "Full System Backups" and when you open Acronis to Create the Image CHOOSE that folder inside your External HD and then write "Full Backup + DATE" and then Acro nis will create the Image in that file into the "Full System Backups" FOLDER inside your External HD. On the Acronois Wizard Choose your entire HD (all partitions included, if needed), Full Backup, Size: Automatic and Compression: Normal (you have ample space on your 40GB External HD, no need to compress the backup files), then write a password (if you want to, or skip it) and write some comment like "this is the first full Backup made with version 7 Build 634" (always write some comment and put the version you used for that particular backup as a reminder) then click "OK" or whatever to begin the proccess. I believe that 12 GB backup can be done in less than 20 minutes. After you see the message that "Image was successfully created" close Acronis and Re-start your PC. NOW...
    your External HD (like your internal HD) will need to be DEFRAGMENTED after every Image backup, so... if you use Diskeeper Pro (this is the best defragmenter in the market just set it and forget and it will automatically defragment your HD when needed) or you could use your Windows XP standard Defragmenter (not very good but it will suffice) your PC will need probably 1 to 3 hours to defragment the External HD.
    After you have Defragmented the External HD you can open Acronis and click "Check Image" and choose the latest backup file you want to check and click "OK" to check it and it will take about 10 minutes only and once you get the message that the Image is FINE then you can enjoy life again!! Please, DO a WEEKLY full system Backup exactly the same way (follow the same procedure week after week) and remember to CREATE A BOOT CD (after you update to Build 634) I was advised by Acronis to always create a NEW Bootable CD after each Update (you can do it on the same CD-RW that you used, just ERASE THE ENTIRE CD and then USE IT TO CREATE THE NEW BOOT CD (write on the CD the version and, in small letters, the Build number and you can simply write it off and and write the new Build every time you erase and create a new Boot CD with the latest Build, OR... you can use a NEW CD-R each time). Let me know your progress and if you could succesfully made a full backup. Good Luck!

4. cityman

greetings mazaprin and everyone else,

it was a strange situation here. i am not sure where this is going. you were thinking i want to start making a backup. actually i wanted to restore. i had made 8 different ati restore files on the two external hard drives (4 each) plus 3 dvd backups. after making them i checked everyone one of them as verified!

yet when i tried to restore them- all were corrupted. so this is the way it is.

i am trying to find/decode the errors here.

initially i would use ati v7 (cannot recall which build- there were 2 of them) to backup. then about 10 days ago, i used ati version 8. about 4 backups were used for v 8. and the bootup disk was adopted for the proper version.

the way i would try to restore was- go to the internal hd, click on the ati icon and then choose restore. i have not tried to restore by using the bootup CD (which was adjusted for ati v 7 build 613). but i will do that next.

any ideas? and thanks

5. cityman

cityman

i have just completely formatted my external hard drive. Even though I verified all my backups ATI files-- all are corrupted. I tried rebooting both ways- from the newly installed ATI external hard drive and from the boot CD (v7 build 613). Either way the files are corrupted. I always had those files verified immediately after they were done. I had files backed to the internal hd which were transferred to the DVD and even the DVD files are corrupted.

The external hard drives are working and there are files (not ATI files) which i can access. So the external hard drives are good. So i have no idea what the problem is. <sigh>

the only thing now is----- ... any suggestions?

6. mazaprin

Re: cityman

Hi Cityman, I am sorry for the missunderstanding about backing up and Restoring. Well, according to the way you are describing that you tried to restore, that's not the proper way. If your OS opens, put the Boot CD (version 7) and Re-start the PC so Acronis take charge of the Booting and then choose one of the version 7 backup file that you created and restore from it. If your OS will not open turn PC on and press f11 to open in safe mode and then put the ATI 7 Boot CD on the CD drive and Re-start so Acronis will take charge and Restore. The proper way to restore is opening ATI inside of Windows (if it opens to your desktop and you have access to the applications) and choose "Restore Image", etc.. then ATI will show a message saying that it has to Reboot to take charge and you click "OK" and it will Reboot and Acronis window will come again and you click "Restore Image" AGAIN and go thru the steps. Bear in mind that your external HD will have different LETTERS and your internal HD may also be shown in ATI with a different Letter (that's nothing to worry about, just open each letter to see the contents to find the one that is your external HD and you can see the Backups files inside and choose to restore from it). I don't understand it well the part where you xsay that you "Formatted" your External HD (with the Backup files in ito_O that would erase all backup files!!). The only solution that comes to my mind is to use the Recovery CDs that came with your computer and restore it to the State it was when you bought it and then INSTALL ati 7 (BUILD 613) UPDATE IT TO bUILD 634 and then Re-check your Backup Files again to see if you can restore from them and if they still show as corrupted, well, this is bad news, something was wrong with the Image Creating proccess or the files got corrupted after a good Image was created. I don't know HOW are your External HD connected to your PC (USB or.. ?). Also you could have Created the Image FIRST to your Internal HD and then you copied these Backups Images to your External HD (and to the DVDs) and that TRANSFER somehow got corrupted. If you read my previous comment about HOW to properly Create Images with ATI 7 you would not have experiencing this problem now. You could have done something wrong while setting up the Image Creation Backup parameters or you did not run CHKDSK to scan and fix Windows ERRORS, Clean Temp. Files and Defrag your PC BEFORE Creating the Backups, so if your Internal HD had some Errors when you Created the Backup, maybe when you later checked the image the errors will come up as "corrupted files". I am no expert, only guessing. Something is already a Fact: you can not restore if the Backup has corrupted files. At the last resort, you will have to start from scratch and Recover your PC with the Factory CDs, Re-install all Windows Updates and Softwares and applications, etc. That's a last resort, keep trying different ways to try to restore from ATI but the Best way is to use the Boot CD and Restore from it.

7. cityman

did i say- external? sorry i formatted my internal hard drive back to its original bought state.

how do i update build 613 to 634? i went to the website and all it updates is to version 8.

i just completed checking my backup files- nope they are corrupted.

i did what you suggested, use the boot cd (but i use version 7- build 613 since i could not find 634).

the possible reasons for the image corruption are 2:
    1) ***the only thing i can think of the corruption, re: the image creating process, as i mentioned earlier, was verified immediately after its creation. so i am guessing that these images could have been made using version 8 build 764. and that maybe the problem. in fact the more i think about it, the more probable i used version 8 to make the image creation <yikes> i read in this forum some where.. that version 7 boot disk has trouble reading version 8 image creation files (which would account for the corrupt files). and i really cannot use version 8 for another month (your guessimate) until they get the bugs out of it.***

2) ***or another possible reason is when i created the image to my external 40 gb USB hard drive, i chose the multifile selection (each tib extension has 4 gb) so i had three tib extensions so i could use the dvd as an extra precaution and that might have not been wise. perhaps the ATI program cannot read (the 40 gb )USB multifiles?!! ***

my usual way of preparing for the image creation process is virus scan, trojan scan, pest patrol, spyclean, spybot, spy sweeper, clean out the temp files, clean the prefetch, defrag (i use diskeeper); however i never thought to use CHKDSK- good tip-- thanks.

many, many, many thanks for all your help.

what i will do now is:
    1) learn how to get the update for the build 634
    2) try version 8 to read the so-called corrupt files and
    3) if unsuccessful, (since i have already formatted my internal hard drive) just re-install the win updates, software apps etc.

again thanks
    cm

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  8. mazaprin

Hi Cityman, I have the Build 634 update saved and I think I could send it to you via attached zip mail. just give me your Email address and I will send it so you can open it and install the Update in the same folder of your version 7 (install over the existing version). Send your personal Email Address to ...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  9. cityman

i advise you take off your email address and pm me with it. safer that way.

i checked out using version 8, yep, all the files are NOT corrupted. they were imaged using version 8 and they are not downward compatible to version 7. i can see them.. but the original problem (and the reason for this thread) still remains... spontaneous rebooting. so this version 8 program does not restore.

what a laugh but that is the life.

thanks
    cm

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  10. cityman

The Solution when Acronis TI v8 b764 doesn't restore

The solution, as per Wilders Security Forums - True Image 8.0 - faulty rescue boot process was the best. see below!!!

11. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Well, this was a good clue. Interestingly, I had to enable USB legacy drives on my IBM X20 laptop to get TrueImage 8 to work without rebooting spontaneously. Still, I got the clue here. (This is when booting from Rescue Disk or F11)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.