Acronis TI V11 - File exclusion

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by charliej5, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliej5

charliej5 Registered Member

I wish to exclude a file from the image backup of partition C on my PC. The user guide for TI V11 (page 2:cool: says:
    "3. If you backing up disks and/or partitions, select the files you want to exclude from backup (if any) using the checkboxes in the next window. You can exclude hidden or system files and folders or files matching the criteria you specify. While adding criteria, you can use the common Windows wildcard characters."

I had previously been told (V9 & V10) that you could only exclude specific files when performing file backup in lieu of image backup.

Is it definite that V11 will allow specific file exclusion when backing up the partition on which the specific file is located?

Many thanks for guidance on this issue.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It certainly worked for me, I excluded a specially renamed file, and when I mounted the subsequent image, that file wasn't there.

Colin

3. charliej5

This is in furtherance of my question. I am just as clueless as ever.

The question posed to Acronis Support was:
    The Acronis TI Version 11 User Guide states:
    "3. If you backing up disks and/or partitions, select the files you
    want to exclude from backup (if any) using the checkboxes in the
    next window. You can exclude hidden or system files and folders or
    files matching the criteria you specify. While adding criteria, you
    can use the common Windows wildcard characters. For example, to
    exclude all files with extension .tmp,add *.tm."

MY QUESTION: In creating an image backup of my "C" drive, can I
    exclude a specific file (example: GOBACKIO.BIN)?

The answer received was:
    In this case we can only advise you to create a backup without extracting the file and then to mount the image as an ordinary partition to be able to delete the file from the backup as usual.

Will someone please interpret this for me? Many thanks.
    Charlie

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Actually I thought I had specifically answered your question, so let me put it into easier words.

I made a file called test.xyz and plonked it in the root C directory 'C:\'. I then entered the *.xyz combination into the exclusion file types box. Then I made a full image - after making this fall image to an external drive, I then mounted the image - I could find no trace of the test.xyz file on the mounted image.

To double check, I removed the exclusion criteria from the task and made another full image - this time the file was there when I mounted it.

Both images were made manually, that is they were not scheduled.
    I did not check the actual size of the image versus the mounted image. To all intents and purposes I'd say the file was excluded.

Now I haven't tried it yet with build 8027, but it would be just as easy for you or I to make another small txt file entry with a specific non standard file type and see if it ends up in the image or not.

Colin

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Holy cow. That's a bit of a brain teaser. It sounds like they are saying, don't try to exclude the file from the backup but instead, create the backup with the file included and then mount the backup file (in read/write mode) and delete the file.

That's the best I can make out of the quote and if you are interested in saving space, it sounds like bad advice. Even if you delete the file from the backup, what will really happen is an incremental backup image file will be made recording the change and the original backup file will remain the same -- so your backup bytes won't be any smaller -- in fact they will be greater.

Maybe they meant something else but I'll be darned if I can think of what it might be. But you can do the exclusion as bodgy described.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software

We'd like o inform you that Acronis True Image 11 Home does have the feature of excluding certain files from disk/partitioin images. The detailed description of this feature is available in section 5.2.1 (fig. 3) of Acronis True Image 11 User Guide

If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

7. mustang

mustang Developer

You need to provide the full path name of the files you want to exclude. For example, you have a file in a folder called Temp on your C drive called Test.txt. If you tell TI 11 to excluded Test.txt, the file will not be excluded. If you tell it to exclude C:\Temp\Test.txt, the file will be excluded.

The exclusion worked for bodgy without the full path name because the file was in the root directory.

8. charliej5

Thank you to all who responded. You guys always come through.

Thank you especially bodgy and mustang for directly addressing this issue.

Insofar as Acronis Support's answer is concerned, the quoted reference source is exactly as I had listed seeking an interpretation. It would appear that Acronis Support should make note of this thread and incorporate in the user guide the requirement to specify the full path of the file to be excluded.

Once again, many thanks.
    Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.