Acronis TI & Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by osip, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osip

osip Registered Member

Could it be possible to make a summon up with these progs on the same system?...
    Pros and cons?
    Tried to read different threads but I feel it would be great to narrow the issue a little...
    In my case I just installed RBrx with earlier great experiences with ATI...but the possibility to use RBrx as a fast restorer with possibility to freely choose between snapshots is extremely temptating...And consequently, usage of TI images only if a hard drive break down or similar will occur...
    Also followed the discussion about MBR issues and so on...some says you have to fix MBR and maybe even reinstall RBrx after an ATI image restore,...some says restoring an ATI image from the ATI rescue disk will go smooth...,some says the only way to get the snapshots on an ATI image is to make it in win,otherwise you will only catch the baseline one...
    Allright let´s see if this thread will keep the track without endless discussions about other restoring combos....:cool:

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Different users have had different results, so I can only tell you what worked for me.

I used the latest TrueImage 9.x.
    I boot from the rescue CD before taking a snapshot.
    I took a snapshot of the whole disk, including MBR and first track.

The restore also involved whole disk including MBR and first track.

Trying to take images while Windows is running failed on me.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Ok,got that...I also use ATI 9.x.Did you catch all RBrx snapshots in that image?...If I go for your method it means instead of taking an image of C drive (~10 gigs) I also have to include D (30 gigs)=40 gig to image...A huge difference,but if that´s the only method...
    When making the image in win,does it fail during processing or do you mean the restore fails?

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Well, 'Different Folks, Different Strokes' applies here for sure as I had very different results (as you said some users do). :blink:

When I created an image of my entire drive using TI 9.1's Rescue CD, and restored that image I was in my original RB Baseline snapshot. All of my other snapshots, including my current snapshot were nowhere to be found.

When I created an image of my entire drive using TI9.1 from within WinXP and then restored it, I was in my Current snapshot and the all the others were gone.

I should mention that when I attempted to restore the image (in both cases) my system wouldn't boot until I did a FIXMBR. I repeated this test a week later with the very same results.

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in the USA. ;)

5. osip

osip Registered Member

Allright,trying to analyze different experiences I come to following conclusion:

1,The combo ATI+RBrx has separate functions,RBrx in every day use with the pleasant opportunity to freely jump between snapshots.However,ATI is the bottomline security in case of hardrive failure or cloning/changing to another HD.

2.To be sure to have a good ATI image it´s best to be happy with the RB:s baseline in case of loosing other snapshots after restore.

3.Always make the ATI image booting from the rescue cd and choose MBR track 0...Meaning an image of the whole disk and not a single (sys) partition...

4.Only restore ATI image from the rescue CD.

If done as above you will turn up after a restore with a possible fixmbr issue to be able to boot and after that you will have the disk restored without RB:s snapshots but a good solid baseline to go further with...Rarely that scenario will be needed but it´s as said the bottomline...If no hardware issues will occur RBrx for sure will be enough for the daily use...

Right or wrong...?

o_O

6. wilbertnl

Yes, I did. That was the requirement in our tests. Not approaching this goal means failure to us.
    I don't know, I suggest that you first take an image of the entire drive, including MBR and track 0.
    Verify that a restore includes all snapshots, and that all snapshots boot without errors. (time consuming, yes. But you need to know this)
    Then take an image of partition 1 and include MBR and track 0
    Verify that a restore includes all snapshots, and that all snapshots boot without errors.
    Then you know what works for you.
    The restore will look fine, but none of the snapshots will boot without errors. Or you end up with only baseline or like pvsurfer only with the current snapshot.
    When you commit fixmbr, RB will not function anymore and uninstall itself, leaving you with the current snapshot.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  7. osip

osip Registered Member

Many thanks @wilbertnl...Will try that...

I assume you mean image and not snapshot...

8. wilbertnl

That is what I wrote, right? :D :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.