Acronis TI Echo Workstation - Appending Differential and Incremental BackUp Archives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joseph G, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph G

Joseph G Registered Member

I have only just installed Acronis TI Echo Workstation and have completed one Full backup image archive, one Differential backup image archive, one Full backup files archive and one Differential backup files archive of my system.
    My query is that for my next Differential backup do I append the archive to the original Full backup archive or to the last Differential backup archive stored? Or, does it not matter and Acronis will automatically append and store the Differential backup archive accordingly?
    If I was to change my backup plan and incorporate Incremental backups rather than Differential backups how am I best to append each subsequent Incremental backup? Do I append each subsequent archive to the original Full backup archive or to the last Incremental backup archive stored? Or, does it not matter and Acronis will automatically append and store the Incremental backup archive accordingly?
    Logically, my thoughts would be to append all subsequent Differential backups to the original Full backup archive and append all subsequent Incremental backups to the previous Incremental backup archive.
    Finally, when considering to use a Differential or Incremental backup strategy, does each subsequent Differential backup overwrite the preceding Differential backup in the chain of backups before another Full backup archive is done so that, unlike with Incremental backups, I cannot effectively restore or "roll back" my system to a point in time at a differential backup done since the last Full backup and before the last Differential backup?
    - Joseph G

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

All your questions refer to the terms and determinations of incremental and differential backups used by Acronis company (these terms are widely used in IT industry, but the meanings may be variable).

Please see article Difference between Incremental and Differential Backup and in User Guide for Acronis True image Echo Workstation article 3.2 Full, incremental and differential backups available on our web site here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. Joseph G

Joseph G Registered Member

Thank you Oleg, but what I was actually wanting to know is how am I supposed to Save the subsequent Differential or Incremental backup archives in a sequence (chain) of backup archives following on from a Full backup.
    - For Differential backups do I select the original Full backup archive each time I backup or do I select just the last Differential backup, or does it not matter with the result being the same. Will subsequent Differential backups overwrite the previous Differential backup in the sequence (chain) of backups?
    - For Incremental backups do I select the last Incremental backup archive each time I backup or am I supposed to select the original Full backup each time in the sequence (chain) of backups? Or does it not matter with the result being the same?
    - Joseph G

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Acronis TI Echo Workstation - Appending Differential and Incremental BackUp Archi

Hello Joseph G,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

To create differential backup you should select full backup archive. In order to create incremental backup you should select last incremental backup from the chain or the full backup if it’s the first incremental backup. Here is a graphical representation of the differences between full, incremental and differential backups.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.