Acronis TI and Logitech QuickCam Conflict

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anettis, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anettis

anettis Registered Member

I have been a happy user of Acronis TI for years. But I seemed to have stumbled upon an odd conflict with Acronis True Image Home version 11.0 (build 8,053) and the Logitech QuickCam (v11.5) application under Vista (32-bit). When I have both installed I cannot make it through the Acronis Create Backup Wizard - it hangs on the Source File Exclusion box when I hit Next. I can execute an existing backup job but I can't create a new backup job through the Wizard. If I uninstall the Logitech QuickCam application then the Create Backup Wizard works fine. Anyone else experience this? Or better yet anyone know of a solution?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

I'm using Logitech QuickCam v.11.5.0.9, Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, Acronis®*True*Image*Home® version 10.0 (build*4,942) and i have exactly the same problem - hang on the create backup wizard, can execute existing backup job but can't create new job through wizard. :'(

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. anettis

That is interesting - different flavor of Vista, different version of Acronis, and the exact same Acronis problem occurs when QuickCam is installed. So it begs the question is there a coding issue with Acronis that causes it to fail with QuickCam or is there a coding issue with QuickCam that is causing Acrois to stumble?

Either way I hope that Acronis support looks into this pesky problem as there are plenty of people out there who use Logitech Webcams.
    I don't think you even need the webcam plugged in so Acronis support can probably recreate the problem by via a simple download and install of QuickCam (v11.5) from Logitech's web site.

This problem may be more pervasive than it may seem at first glance. It could be the case that new user's of Acronis TI have run into this issue who already had QuickCam installed. In this scenario it would be very difficult to make the association that the Acronis issue is related to QuickCam and such a user may simply give up on using the product.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Use the bootable True Image Rescue cd to do the Backup. It may be slower than doing it from within Windows, but at least you'll get the Backup Image done.

5. anettis

That should work in a pinch, but I wish to setup a scheduled backup that automatically runs under Windows. I can uninstall the QuickCam application when ever I need to use the create backup wizard but that seems a bit like jumping through hoops. Plus who knows what other funcionlity has been compromised at this point.

Considering the popularity of Logitech web cams this issue really needs to be addressed either by Acronis or Logitech. Since it has a negative impact on Acronis TI it would seem the onus is on Acronis to determine if their software is problematic or if the Logitech software is to blame. Based on their findings they can either create a fix in their software or perhaps convince Logitech to make an adjustment on their next release.

6. DwnNdrty

It may also be due to the fact that Logitech, as well as Acronis, have items that are in the StartUp folder. Just about every software maker feels that they must have a file or two or three in that StartUp folder - most are unnecessary.
    Try disabling the Logitech ones, you can always start the Logitech ones manually when you go to use the webcam.

7. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

Okay...

There are no logitech items in my startup folder.

When I run sysconfig, there are startup items from logictech that are related to the quickcam software.

1. LogitechCommunicationsManager
    2. LogitechQuickCamRibbon

I disabled those.

I rebooted.

Started acronis. Selected new backup task (wizard). When through, got to the partitions selection screen (where you pick which drives you want to back up). After picking partitions, program hangs.

This is the same place it has always hung up as long as the quickcam software is installed.

I agree with the previous poster that this issue should be addressed and resolved by the makers of acronis and/or logitech, depending on where the actual conflict lies. Workarounds are fine but a real solution is only one that doesn't force the users to jump through all kinds of ridiculous hoops to use software that they have legally purchased.

8. anettis

I sent an email to Acronis technical support with a link to this discussion thread. Hopefully we will hear something soon about this annoying issue. If anyone else is using QuickCam v11.5 it would be great to hear if you are experiencing any issues.

9. DwnNdrty

Have you tried unplugging the camera when the backup is scheduled to run?

10. anettis

Thanks for the suggestion however there is no problem with a scheduled backup. The problem is the Acronis Create Backup Wizard hangs on the Source File Exclusion box when I hit Next (with or without the webcam plugged in). It appears to be strictly a software issue between QuickCam and Acronis TI.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

Described issue is to be investigated by our Quality Assurance Team. So anettis could you please tell me the number of your case you've received after submitting request? I'll check how the issue is investigated and it'll be most likely forwarded to our Quality Assurance Team.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

12. anettis

Thanks Nikita! I appreciate anything you can do to try to get a resolution on this issue. After I entered the technical request I received a confirmation email that referenced: Acronis #1541482.

Tony

13. AndrewAVA

AndrewAVA Registered Member

Hi,

FWIW, I have experienced the same problem--hanging right after "Source Files Exclusions". I also have a Logitech Web Cam. Interestingly, if I keep running the wizard, on some occasions, the wizard will "let me through" after the Source Files Exclusions window--I can then finish the Backup Wizard and successfully create a backup. I am hoping there will be a resolution.

14. DwnNdrty

Andrew, if you don't have need for scheduled backups do them using the bootable True Image Rescue cd. This will work since the webcam files would be "invisible" to the cd.

15. AndrewAVA

AndrewAVA Registered Member

DwnNdrty,

Thanks for the advice--is the bootable CD, the one CD that came in the retail box or is it a CD that one has to create?

I placed the CD that the program came on, but am not sure how to get to the right place to set up the backup (if I am able to do it at all with this CD).

Again, thanks.

16. anettis

Still waiting on a solution from Acronis technical support via email and/or this thread. . . . .

17. DwnNdrty

The retail CD is also bootable, so I've read - I always download True Image from the website. You can also create one from the installed software - when you use the created one, it boots right into the menu that shows Backup, Recovery, Clone, etc.

18. Acronis Support

Hello anettis,

Many thanks for your answer.

I've forwarded the case to our Experts Team, please be sure we'll contact you in the nearest time. Please accept our apologies for the incovenience you've experinced due to the delay.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

19. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

I'm also watching this thread and eagerly waiting for the solution.

20. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

Has there been any progress on this issue? My situation has degenerated. I can no longer run backups at all - the wizard won't run, and the scheduled tasks lock up as well. I use my QuickCam all the time and I can't keep uninstalling the software for it.

21. anettis

I am waiting to here back from Acronis technical support. They did contact me on Friday and I have sent them details on my system configuration. If you have not already done so I would send Acronis technical support an official problem report via their website so they can see this issue is not an isolated case.

22. Acronis Support

Hello anettis,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you received the last e-mail from Nikolay with instructions on collecting process dumps?

Aratak, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support, as suggested by anettis. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

23. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

I submitted my .nfo file and a description of how to recreate the problem.

After I submitted the information it said "Thank you for your comment."

It didn't give me a problem tracking number or anything.

24. Aratak

Aratak Registered Member

Wait, it gave me a problem tracking number in email. It is: Acronis #1590180

25. Acronis Support

Hello Aratak,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Thank you for the information. I have forwarded your case to our Expert Team, and you should receive a reply as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.