Acronis TI 9 and ProcessGuard Full

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd like to let you all know about my experience having these applications installed on my computer.

I've recently bought Acronis TI home v9 build 3,677 as i had too many problems with Ghost 9. ATI seemed to work properly except that after verifying the newly created backup, my OS would either freeze or end up with a BSOD.

I had been in contact with Acronis support for weeks, and I must say they were very keen to help. No solution was found, even after uninstalling almost every security application, the BSOD was inevitable.

I thought well, I'll wait for the next ATI build and if the BSOD persists I'll try another company. In the mean time I was upgrading my PG from 3.405 to 3.410 and uninstalled PG 3.405 completely (in safe mode). Before installing the new version of PG, I thought I'll give another try to Acronis, and after creating and verifying the new backup, guess what: NO BSOD!

PG was responsible even disabled, and this is confirmed by this review:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/drive-imaging-reviews.htm

I like PG, but it really seems to interfere with some applications. If I install the new version of PG, is it going to affect a real recovery of my system in case of disaster? I know the only way is to try, but then again if it fails i'll have to reinstall everything from scratch.

Now my dilemma: Should I dump Acronis or PG?

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I would dump ATI, because it is of no use, just backup your important files and programs on an external drive and in the case of a crash of the HDD, wich is the worst thing that can happen, reinstall the OS and everything else.
    In my opinion PG is the more important one of the two programs you mentioned.

Lamehand

3. furballi

furballi Registered Member

It's best to use an imaging program that does NOT run in windows if you want to reduce these issues. Check out BING or IFD.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

@ lamehand
    I'd say the two applications are very different and important: one restores data, and the other protects from malware attacks. Basically you are saying that any recovery program is useless, and one could argue forever. Perhaps I should rephrase my dilemma: Is there a way out, a compromise to keep them both?

@ furballi

Acronis can be used with a bootable CD that doesn't run in Windows. Perhaps this is the best compromise in order to keep PG.

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Yes i found the protection of PG more important then the features ATI provides.
    I've used ATI aswell but came to the conclusion that there are simpler ways to acomplish the same.
    Maybe 'useless' is a too strong word for this.

I've used both PG full version and ATI on one of my systems and never had this conflicts, but that was an older version of PG then you are using.
    Have you tried contacting DCS?, maybe they could provide an answer.

Lamehand

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can't live without a backup software unless you like to reinstall your computer manually.
    Some people don't care about that, but I was sick and tired of installing my computer from scratch.

If PG is that important, drop any backup software that has problems with PG until you find one that likes PG. Terabyte seems to be a good alternative.
    If PG causes problems with ALL backup softwares, I would ditch PG, because PG isn't able to recover my system.

Image backup has NOTHING to do with security, you also need image backup WITHOUT internet.
    At work we always had a backup system, even before we connected to the internet.

Immediate System Recovery is luxury, you don't really need it, I can recover my system also with an image backup software.

7. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

PG, Zonelabs and Prevx can all cause problems with TI 9.1

DiamondCS have confirmed a problem via email this week - have not tried the new build.

Acronis although keen to help have not been able to work out a solution or reproduce my results. DiamondCS seem to have from their support mail

In any case I have stopped using TI for the moment as it is not reliable on any of my 3 systems. Each has one or a combination of these products

8. ErikAlbert

I never had any problems with ATI.
    I trialed Prevx1, ProcessGuard. I used ZoneAlarm Free for a long time without problems.
    I had a problem with the combination ProcessGuard and FirstDefense-ISR, so I ditched ProcessGuard.

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

For me ProcessGuard and FirstDefense-ISR work without problems

10. ErikAlbert

LOL. You must have a different computer than mine. :D

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m running PG with FD-ISR with no problems.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I tell you guys the 1's & 0's have all gone crazy! My opinion is its all due to global warming. Anywho PG, ZA, & ATI are all playing nice for me now. I'll keep an eye on the 1's, you know there trouble makers.

Take Care
    rico

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Judging from all the posts in this thread it looks like that any combination of recovery software and HIPS can't be guaranteed to work. In other words if it works on your system it may not work on another similar system.

As I mentioned earlier uninstalling PG would stop my OS from creating a BSOD at the end of 'Validation process'. As an experiment I downloaded the demo version of System Safety Monitor, an application which seems to create less conflicts with recovery programs. Not only SSM created a BSOD like PG, but the BSOD was also worded as HARD ERROR.

I thought that's it, I've got to try a full restoration of my hard disk. I did it with the bootable CD from Acronis and went VERY WELL! (I must admit I didn't think it would work).

The bottom line: Yes I'll keep PG as I think it is a very important program, and I will only use run Acronis TI with the bootable CD.

I think this the best solution for my system.

Thanks for the feedback.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Image for DOS will work with PG or any other Windows-based program. Why? Because Image for DOS operates completely outside of the Windows environment.

15. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If you use Acronis True Image, can't you backup and restore via bootdisk and that would be considered outside windows? I've done it! Osaban mentioned the same thing as well.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.